1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Les Alexander: Rockets are contenders and do not need to get out of the first round

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 17, 2015.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

'the ****? [​IMG]

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This is disheartening...

3. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Member

Doesn't think we need post-season success?!? I don't even know what to think about that statement. We need it, like we need water. We are starving for it.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

It's a weird comment, for sure. Not sure what he's trying to say. Maybe it's taken out of context?

5. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Obviously, Les meant that the aim was for a championship, and passing first round was not the main focus. He only forgot that you have to pass the first round before you can get a championship. LOL

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

One thing we have established with Les, it's that he should be seen not heard. He rarely makes smart comments.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think he is saying "it's all on me", if we get knocked out again. He wants to take some pressure off the players. That does not mean he doesn't want us to progress in the playoffs. I think he will let Morey go for one last shot by the February deadline.

8. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I wouldn't read in to those comments too much.

he knows that the West is stacked and that any of the 8 qualifying can make a championship run.

But, saying that we know he wants more and that he is probably trying to take the pressure off the team.

1 person likes this.
  9. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

WTF? The boss said we don't need to get out of 1st round? I can't believe what I hear!!

I feel so sad for Yao and Tmac! I feel so sad for Rockets fans!!!

10. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

WTF? The boss said we don't need to get out of 1st round? I can't believe what I hear!!

I feel so sad for Yao and Tmac! I feel so sad for Rockets fans!!!

11. rocketblood713

[​IMG]

12. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

He's up there in age guys. Just nod your head and say uh-huh

#13 jev5555, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  13. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I think I understand what he's saying. There are going to be eight really good teams that make the playoffs in the western conference. It's going to be a toss up between all those teams. Four really good teams are going to lose in the first round. There really is no shame losing in the first round in the West.

Also, there are some teams that are in dire need to make significant progress this year and take a big step forward. Those teams would be teams like Phoenix, New Orleans, and Sacramento. Those teams are trying hard to become relevant again. Those teams are trying to get where the Rockets and the other top teams in the West currently reside.

The Rockets are trying to improve and go farther in the playoffs, but they are already considered to be contenders by most people. The Rockets are a healthy franchise and doing well, they don't need wins in the same way that some of the non-playoff teams do.

14. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Maybe he means that the Rockets should be considered contenders notwithstanding the fact that they have not made it out of the first round with this group yet.

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I guess I kind of understand what he's saying. Basically, that players still want to play for us, and fans still like watching us, no matter what happens in the playoffs, but that only speaks to the national audience. In terms of the local diehards, we CRAVE playoff success. It's been a long time for most of us, and it's something that drives us and defines us. I get the point he was trying to make, but I think he said it in a really backwards way.

16. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

So, in my opinion, I do believe we are contenders, but I also believe that the talent of the nba has diversified itself enough to have like 10 contenders if not more. So if my statement holds true, if you lose to a title contender in the first round, does that make our team any less talented? You could argue that the yao/artest/tmac team was the best team in the NBA if we stayed healthy, and we lost to the Champs in 7 games which nobody after us did (all lost in 6). Not saying we don't want a title, I believe any owner wants that, but to say you didn't put the pieces together and failed due to match up or injuries is not fair either.

17. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

The fact that the owner does not care about the post season explains Kevin Mchale as coach. I kept saying Why Kevin Mchale? Prior to the Rockets he had no experience as a good coach, it's not like he was up and coming or worked for Popp or Phil so why Kevin? If you want to win championships and you have all these choices why Kevin Mchale? The answer is he doesn't care, which makes sense. At the very least this was confirmed by the horses mouth so I don't have to keep speculating it was obvious though because any other team would've fired Mchale already.

18. houstonhoya

houstonhoya Contributing Member

I think these are brilliant comments. He's spot on really.

Losing in the first round in the West this year could happen to the best of contenders, no it is not a disaster if that fate awaits the Rockets in May.

Les is a G, always has been.

19. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

QFT

For those looking too deep in the comment, this is obviously what he meant.

The goal is the championship. Not to JUST get out of the first round