1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Les Alexander: Rockets are contenders and do not need to get out of the first round

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 17, 2015.

1. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

what a garbage thread. Lot of people clearly struggle with reading comprehension.

Les is a great owner.

1 person likes this.
  2. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

I think Alexander is just happy the Rox are relevant again. Alexander loves spotlight, big names, etc and he feels this is good enough and that winning is icing on the cake. That's what I take from these comments anyway. I don't like hearing the owner of one of my favorite teams having this mindset. Most fans want to feel the organization is totally all in for winning, not that winning would be just icing on the cake.

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Probably taken out of context.

But he said himself that this season is wide open , anyone of a dozen teams could win it all. Hell , OKC or New Orleans could win it all if they get to the playoffs and get hot .... and they are the 9 & 10 spots in the West.

I really don't think it would be a total failure if they didn't win a series because of how competitive the league and particularly the West is. Sure it would be disappointing .... but not a total failure.
    Last season .... having home court , losing two games on that home court .... that was a failure.

Just have to see how things play out.

4. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I like how people in this thread are mad at the people who believe HIS WORD. These are his words and honestly it makes so much sense to me now. The only reason to keep Mchale would be if you really couldn't care less about winning in the postseason and you were happy where you were. I couldnt understand why someone as smart as Morey would go with Mchale, and now I have my answer. I no longer have high expectations for the Rockets, I will just enjoy a 50 win season.

1 person likes this.
  5. bmd

bmd Member

I'd like to hear the question he was asked.

6. MissouriRocket

If any fool cannot understand Rockets are built for post season they are fools.

7. RESINator

RESINator Member

Da faq??? I guess '94 and '95 was alright then!!! :mad:

How selfish of him! I want to take part in the glory as well

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

lol, this sums up what I've been saying pretty well. Les is all about that regular season $$$$

9. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

I get it. He still shouldn't say it. He should be saying "The Rockets are favorites to win the title, and I look forward to knocking Cuban's Mavericks out in the first round of the playoffs."

10. varughese.arun

He made the Smart comment.

Les doesn't want to make a statement which puts more pressure on his players/coaches. Obviously, he wants the championship, but there is no need to speak so openly with the media about that. If he were to say that he expects to win a ring in the next few seasons, media would blow that out of proportion.

He also did the right thing by signing Mchale to an extension.

As with Mchale People had similar complaints of Rudy Tomjanovich.

Mchale has an eye for talent, and relies on the fundamentals to win the game. That enough to get it done. Plus, there aren't too many coaches out there who can get his guys to play their hearts out for him. Thats a big deal.

11. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

Perhaps he is speaking purely from a business standpoint.

12. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I think he's trying to alleviate some of the pressure on the players. Interesting strategy, but we'll see. there are a bunch of players that will have jitters. Josh Smith trying to prove he is not the reason Detroit did so bad plus it's a contract year for him. James Harden has to prove he can perform at a high level in the playoffs. Dwight Howard wants to win the whole thing. Young guys turning the corner will have jitters.

13. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

I like it....sounds like he doesnt want us to be needy...

To be needy is a guy who needs attention no matter what the cost. A person that dosen't have much confidence and will bug the living **** out of you just for a little attention. They are always suspicious, aggravating and generally become troublemakers.

14. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

It's pretty clear what he is trying to say. Out franchise is not desperate for another ring. Do we want it? He'll yah we do. Will the franchise pack up and go or will the fans revolt if we don't go far this year? No they won't. If anything it was a compliment to rockets fans, says we won't sell out our team just because they don't win it all or go as far as we had hoped.

There is no doubt les wants to win.

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Alleviate pressure by not setting any standard of success??!? The 1st round people...the 1st round....that's how the low the bar is. I was only a kid in 94/95, but some of the older members must be rolling now. Ever since Les has taken over this team, and he inherited the championship roster, the rockets are bottom 3 in terms of post season success. I used to put a lot of the blame on Morey, but I think its the Les stamp.

16. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

He wants to play the Knicks in the playoffs. The only way that happens is in the NBA Finals. Sure sounds like he wants to get out of the first round to me.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am not a Alexander supporter but this is taken out of context.

I also think Alexander is inept at expressing his true thoughts

18. HRox832

HRox832 Member

What the hell?

19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

He really just meant he's used to first round exits since Hakeem isn't playing, and he doesn't want to build any of us fans up, since that backfired in the past. This way by setting the bar low, it'll give the Rockets a good chance to do something, but if they fail, he'll just go make wine in his Vineyard.

Haha, I'm joking about all of this.

20. clutz

clutz Member

It's obvious the Houston Rockets cannot win a championship with Leslie Alexander as the owner. Where's Charlie Thomas when you need him?