1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Les Alexander: Rockets are contenders and do not need to get out of the first round

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 17, 2015.

1. photojoe

photojoe Member

I agree with this.

I don't remember the exact quote, but didn't Morey say at one time that the NBA is so hard because the goal every year is to win a championship? But there is only one team that wins the championship and 29 losers?

It might be a stretch, but I think this was what Alexander was saying. The Rockets get flack (deservedly) because they haven't made it out of the first round except for once in the past 17 years. But honestly, so what? If we made it out of the first round and then lost in the second, what difference would that make? The goal is to win the championship, not to make it into the second round.

Take the Thunder. They haven't received any of the same criticism as the Rockets because they have made it to the second round, the WCF and the Finals. But after all of that, what do they have to show for it? Nothing. The goal is to win a championship. And a playoff elimination is falling short of that goal, no matter which round it happens in.

2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

That narrative fits in with the Rockets post season success over the last decade and more.

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Someone tell Alexander that McGrady is not on the team anymore.

4. deshen

deshen Member

“I feel bad we haven’t gotten out of the first round in a long time, but I don’t think we need it,” Alexander said. “All the players want to come here. The fans love us. I don’t think it’s needed, but I would obviously love to have it.”

You sure you understand the whole sentence?

5. haydenfisher342

I hate pretty much half of you, always jumping to conclusions. I loathe you, despise you, and I wish for the utter destruction of your posting privileges. Then that day and each day after you will have to suffer the inner misfortune of your blasphemous thoughts.

6. robinjaswal23

robinjaswal23 Member

If he like MCHALE why not bring him back to the staff as a Players Coach? SMH! Let someone better do the coaching OMG

7. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Here we go with people already trying to revise his words. "That's not what he meant" we will be all over this thread soon, lol. If this is how he feels then fine, atleast we know.

2 people like this.
  8. torocan

torocan Member

Not a big deal. I just think Les is setting expectations considering how ridiculous the West is right now.

Would anyone be truly shocked if the Rockets were eliminated in the first round? Against the Spurs, OKC, Golden State, Portland or Memphis I wouldn't consider it a major upset if the Rockets were eliminated early.

If the Spurs and OKC end up as the 6-8 seeds, it's quite conceivable that the number 1 and 2 seeds could both be first round exits... that's just ridiculous. However, that's the West...

9. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Not with Mchale as coach no.

10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, but it does get old losing all the time. If you had a team that was first round bound and you're okay with that, then I'd hope to continue seeing improvement. 1 and done gets old. The good news is if Houston can keep Harden then maybe in a few years it'll be different. I mean if they don't do something this year.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I think that some people here have it right: What Les is saying is that the NBA, especially the Western Conference, this year is such that we have a bunch of very talented teams with no one really standing out among others.

One would not be shocked if any one of these teams made it to the Finals and one would also not be shocked if any one of these teams lose in the 1st round. Much of it will depend on health, match-ups and luck. There are just a lot of "coin flip" situations going on right now.

But Morey and Les' job is to make moves so that the Rockets do stand out and have an advantage over the rest of the field to the extent possible.

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

What a loser ass comment.

1 person likes this.
  13. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lol, he probably doesn't give a ****, what us "fans think", I mean we're going to aimlessly watch the team regardless and buy merchandise/tickets, and he's going to still be rich, playing in his vineyard, haha. I mean that's if it wasn't taken out of context. Oh well... Go Rockets

14. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Yes plus he is saying that another first round exit does not mean KM needs to be fired due to the ultra competitive West. This is why he re-up'd KM.

15. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

In addition I hope he is saying" "There is no need to get desperate or panic" we are moving in the right direction, still building for the future and getting better.. No need to make a desperate trade just to increase our chances of winning this year.

Next year we will be even stronger.

16. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

I would love to see insane losers like LPH have to deal with some of the other NBA owners out there. what a ridiculous comment.

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

too much overreaction up in here. all he is saying is that there are going to be a lot of really good teams that are not going to win the championship.

18. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

David Weiner ‏@BimaThug 1m1 minute ago
    People up in arms over Les Alexander comment (re: not needing to get out of 1st round) need to get a grip. Should be taken in context...

You think BimaThug would know by now that many people on this site aren't all that sharp.

19. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Leslie probably does not really care that much, which is understandable. He's fine with a good 'product' on the floor, a healthy locker room, good players and a positive win-loss record at the end of the regular season.

20. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

If he didn't care he wouldn't be opening up his pocketbooks over and over again for 2nd round picks and such. He clearly cares. JFC.