1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Bonzi undecided, set to meet with Rockets on Tuesday (Hayes Mention)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NIKEstrad, May 27, 2007.

1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Link-tastic
    Hadn't seen this posted.

Note 1: In addition to Hayes and Wells, Bill Duffy is also Yao's agent...and Mike James' agent.

It's interesting to note: the Rockets have a history of dealing with multiple players from one agent -- namely Dan "The Devil" Fegan.

To me, the fact that they're still considering accepting the 2nd year option and they're meeting to discuss indicates how serious Bonzi staying may be -- especially in light of how fast Rashard Lewis opted out.

Re: Hayes. The indication to me is that Trucky realizes he may not be a starter next year (especially if he stays), but if the money is right, we'd seem to have the inside track.

2. Gene the PIG

Gene the PIG Member

[​IMG]

But seriously, I hope that Bonzi takes his excess baggage elsewhere.

3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

why would we not want chuck hayes back?

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Cause 4 on 5 offense is not Adleman's style.

5. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

But wait: isn't Hayes now supposed to thrive offensively under Adelman now that JVG is gone? Isn't Adelman supposed to be everything offensively that JVG wasn't?

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Laugh all you want but Hayes will thrive under Adelman. Adelman is all about movement. There is nobody better at movement than Hayes. Hayes is the energizer bunny, he's everywhere. His career will continue to progress under Adelman. He MAY not be the starter, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he was a 10/10 guy under Adelman. Adelman's offense creates space, and Hayes will be even better in space, because his hieght can be offset better.

7. foo82

foo82 Member

I agree. Hayes could get a lot of backdoor passes from Yao. Hayes is a quick cutter and finisher.

8. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

Echo you. But Hayes needs to work his @ss off to improve his layups in this summer. Backdoor cuts and layups are what Princeton Offense meant for.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You are dreaming. Chuck will never be a 10/10 player unless he gets A LOT better on offense and earns enough playing time to merit being on the floor long enough. JVG played Chuck so much this year only because Juwan was so bad (at times). Under Adelman, the ideal would be for Chuck to be a situational player. It will be very hard for Chuck to average 10/10 playing only 10-20 minutes per game if he is still here. Chuck's leverage with the Rockets left with JVG. It's likely downhill for him now.

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Keep Hayes

Bonzi, no. Even if he signs, no telling if he'll be motivated enough to get back in prime game shape.

11. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I'm confident he will. I'm also confident he will have more space and time to get those layups off and not be as rushed as he was this year because of the lack of space.

Don't get me wrong, I think we need help at the PF spot. But I don't think Hayes is the problem. The problem is the lack of atheticism that Juwan gives us and the bad fit that Juwan is alongside Yao. It just does not work with Juwan. Juwan played his best ball alongside Deke but once Yao came back Juwan's game once again went into the dumper. I think he needs to be replaced/upgraded, not Hayes. Hayes is a very solid rotational player and he will give us very good rebounding/defense for the little money he gets paid. We can probably sign him for the LLE. You can't beat that value.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

If Bonzi works his ass off and requests a contract that is reasonable -- Adelman will make the correct decision. He knows him as well as anyone in the league.

13. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I'm not sure there's a coach past or present whose offense can help players that would struggle scoring in a gym by themselves.

14. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

I'm not sure whether Hayes could score because he was a "great cutter" or because he was left wide open consistently. I have a hunch it is the latter.

15. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

I dunno Hayes can make some pretty nifty layups..remember at the beginning of last year he couldnt make a layup for the life of him then he improved greatly..maybe he's still got some potential to develop a shot

16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As far as Hayes goes, don't discount his passing ability too much. It's easy to think of him as a zero on the offensive end, but he's actually a pretty decent passer. In his Kentucky days, he was 2nd on the team in assists (to Cliff Hawkins) his junior year at 3 a game -- and there were 3 NBA perimeter players on the team (Gerald Fitch, Erik Daniels, Kelenna Azuibuke). Hayesfan may want to chime in, but my recollection is he ran the offense on occasion from the high post.

He's not Webber, but he's no Yinka Dare, either. Respectable enough as a decision maker to fit into an offense that requires everyone on the court to be able to make decisions.

There's an interesting interplay in the relationship between Bonzi and Hayes. Hayes is kind of stuck in the middle -- his value is probably somewhere slightly above the LLE. Plenty of teams would probably be willing to give him LLE money, but he's nowhere near a full MLE player -- teams willing to spend the full MLE will be hesitant to break it up for a guy like Hayes, especially when they would have to go through the waiting period to see if the Rockets match -- essentially tieing their hands for a prime piece of the offseason.

Meanwhile, the Rockets can't really figure out what to do with Hayes until they solve their talent deficiency. A healthy, in shape, motivated Bonzi would go a long way in fixing that, especially if he comes at only $2m. Even if Bonzi thinks only of himself, he may be able to make more than 2.2m, but there's no way he's a full MLE player right now. If he puts in one good season, he probably is.

I think they're either both back, or they're both gone. My guess is, they're both back.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Learning how to make layups and learning how to shoot are two completely different things. Chuck is one of the worst shooters I've ever seen in the NBA and he hasn't improved one bit since last season. If he doesn't over the summer we should let him go. The Rockets shouldn't offer him a guaranteed contract unless we somehow don't find anyone better.

18. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

I'm not sure, but don't you think a couple of GMs would be willing to give Bonzi a full MLE? A team like Detroit could be a possibility, especially since they wanted him during the regular season.

19. BallBoy

BallBoy Member

Right, keep Hayes. I love his energy and free throw style. It's entertaining.
    Bonzi, I don't care whether he stays or not.

20. The Ming Dynasty

The Ming Dynasty Contributing Member

Hayes could be a great garbage man if he is continuously left open (e.g. see Kurt Rambis - Rambis spent most of his 14 seasons in the NBA with the Lakers, winning championships in 1982, 1985, 1987, and 1988). Keep Chuck.