1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Bonzi undecided, set to meet with Rockets on Tuesday (Hayes Mention)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NIKEstrad, May 27, 2007.

1. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Contributing Member

Check this out from John Hollinger's All Defensive List this year:

"Second team: Chuck Hayes, Rockets (6.8, 282.5)
    Perhaps the most underrated defender in basketball at this point, Hayes is way undersized for a power forward (6-6) but is so strong and determined that it doesn't matter. Several opponents have tried to take advantage of the height differential against him on the blocks; few have succeeded, mostly because they can't move an inch against him."

Coaches may have snubbed him, but Hollinger had the balls to put him on his second team for the entir league, behind Tim Duncan. And don't mistake Hollinger for one of those Steven A Smith types, his development of the PER stat takes him out of the category of some opinionated pundit. The Player Effiiency Rating is a tool that scouts use constantly.

My reality is that Chuck was a starter for a 52 game winning team that, when healthy, lead the league in +/- by a LARGE amount. Elite team? No. But winning 52 in the West with Yao out for two months.....

2. yellaman

yellaman Member

and you probably think adam everett will hit .300 someday

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Put your opinion on the line for me: How much is Chuck worth? 4yrs/$15MM? 3yrs/$10MM? 2yrs/$4MM? Curious to know your view.

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

3 years, $8 million would be great value for Chuck.

5. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

I'd love to have Bonzi back. He never really got a chance under that goofball JVG and his stupid player management.

Plus he's got a history of performing well under Adleman.

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

"Bonzi destroyed the Spurs on the offensive boards ... " -from the Adleman press conference.

JVG doesn't believe in offensive rebounding.

7. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

That's too much. 3 year 5 millions is more than enough.

Chuck Hayes is effective when nobody is guarding him. However, when defense box him out, he will disappear for good. If you pay attention to the series vs Jazz, after his game 2 12/12 performance, he's mostly a non-factor after that either in rebound or scoring. It's because the Jazz wouldnt let Hayes hurt them again.

8. dischead

dischead Member

He does after game 7..

9. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

In the end Hayes will be on rotation and Wells has to demand for more money to be with the Rockets. He will not play here but probably will end up in Charlotte or Seattle.

10. Possum

Possum Member

Lets hope he does demand more money. That way we dont have to worry about him being here next year.

11. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

First - I want a link. Googling this provides nothing remotely close to what you've typed.

Second - There is a huge, huge, HUGE semantic difference between being under rated and being (as you stated) "one of the best defensive 4's in the NBA". A HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Third - I'd be willing to make a $100 tip jar bet that John Holinger has seen Chuck Hayes play for the Rockets no more than twice. His entire focus is the goofy plus/minus crap. You wanna know how goofy the plus/minus crap is? Rafer freaking Alston leads the entire Rockets regular season roster with a +10.5. Hayes is the 3rd best just .1 behind Yao Ming.

Fourth - Chuck Hayes WILL NOT be the Rockets starting PF next year. That's reality.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

If you drop Hayes for system reasons, then your system is flawed. How many rings does Rodman have?

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Are you serious? Did you see Rodman play? Using your logic, any system that can't find room for Novak is flawed because of what Larry Bird accomplished. Some of the hyperbole about Chuck's value is way out in left field.

14. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Link as requested

Here's the full list of his all defensive team for you in case you aren't an insider..
    List of Hollinger's all defensive teams

If you want more let me know and I will see what I can do :)

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

you are right about my analogy...no one is comparable to Rodman. You are right!.

still, the point is your system is flawed if you can't use Hayes. Tell me that is not true.

go on....

16. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

Wow Hollinger rated Chuck Hayes ahead of Garnett! :eek:

Man how the heck did we lose with one of the best defensive PFs in the league teaming up with Tmac and Yao??? :confused:

This must mean Tmac and Yao suck! Trade them and build around Chuck Hayes! :p

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yall have to realize what Hayes offers. A guy like Garnett is a tremendous stat guy and help defender. He single handedly drops the opponents FG% by just suiting up. The oppositions gameplan has to work around him.

Hayes is special because he is a tremendous man to man defender, one of the rarest things in the NBA. His stats don't come from blocked shots, teams don't dissect him during film, but he is consistent and capable of staying with the opponents athletic post without needing help (which is huge since Yao is slow). In that respect yes, I could see him ahead of KG defensively. Hayes being the better traditional defender, Garnett having the larger impact.

18. BaMcMing

More than the peanuts we are paying him now. ($664,209) My opinion - he's worth about a third of the MLE per year.

19. BaMcMing

20. BaMcMing

I'll call your bluff. Email me via my profile once you find out how many Chuck Hayes games he's seen. Better yet, get John to join our board, so he can tell us that he is a hoops junkie and watches games all the time. This is fun, what else can we wager on?

If he does start next year, #4 above is definately becoming my sig