1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Morey dangle himself in front of elite FAs to attract them?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

One thing I've thought about, and was confirmed by something Mark Cuban said today, is that the #1 thing that the Rockets may have to offer to a Lebron/Wade/Bosh-type FA is an opportunity to work with Daryl Morey.

Now, some may say that the front office isn't typically a prime driver in the decision of a player -- money, teammates and even coaches probably come before the identity of the GM on that list.

Anyhow, this is what Cuban said: One of the audience members at the "Basketbal Analytics" panel discussion asked the panelists (Marc Stein, John Hollinger, Cuban, Mark Warkentien (GM of Nuggets), Kevin Pritchard (GM of Blazers ), and Mike Zarren (Assistant GM of Celtics)) to predict 2010 free agency. Stein said only he and Hollinger can legally answer that question, and Cuban interrupted "And that's why I'll probably talk the most about it."

[Edit: It wasn't Mark Warkentien on that panel, but Dean Oliver, a stats guy who works for the Nuggets, on the panel.]

Cuban went on to say that the big FAs this year have all made a ton of money and are likely looking for a place where they can have a chance to win a title. He said that they likely don't want to suffer Charles Barkley's fate in being an elite player without a ring (my guess is he's excluding Wade in this talk). Cuban stated that he believed these FAs are looking to join a team with good management that they can trust to help them win and that cap room is not that big a deal since the FAs will end up going where they want and can threaten the original team to either S&T them or be left high and dry.

Stein then joked to the tune of "Nice Lebron recruiting pitch, Mark." But I think Cuban's reasoning sounds pretty applicable to the Houston Rockets.

Now, I am not sure how much Bosh or Lebron follows the geeky stuff, but it sure seems like this conference is picking up a lot of interest, and some among the player agents, at least. Now, if the Rockets can't sell these guys on "Come play with Yao (who is recovering from a long term injury)" or even "Come play with Martin," their best sell might be "Come play with Daryl, he knows how to get you help. He'll trade for a Scola for essentially nothing. He'll make good picks late in the draft. He can get a premier guy like Kevin Martin. He also makes sure the franchise is healthy by picking up draft picks in things like the TMac trade."

Essentially, Morey is the Rockets "Cap room for 2 max free agents." If Donnie Walsh is selling Lebron/Bosh on the ability to get help because he has room for another max guy, the Rockets are selling Lebron/Bosh on the ability to get help becaue Daryl Morey is their GM.

What do you think?

#1 Carl Herrera, Mar 6, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Bosh: Yes
    Lebron: No
    Joe Johnson: We already have Martin
    Any other FA aren't in the "worth more than even max contract" discussion(i.e. Gay, David Lee) or will obviously be resigned(i.e. Dirk). So to them money is probably the most important.

And Morey's actions seem to imply that Bosh is his prime target.

3. arsenicbear

arsenicbear Member

It takes time for draft picks to develop. Time that some of the FAs who have already hit their peaks do not have. Intrsting point though.

4. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I actually think James will consider the Rox but ultimately stay in Cleveland and Bosh IMO already has a gameplan for the winter and Rox will be a strong option. I think it helps knowing Morey will never let the team go to crap like NY or mediocre like Chicago. I also think Morey will be more of an asset in working with guys like Boozer, who wants to win and knows he isn't going to get Max money so money won't be a huge selling point.

5. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Real question: will Cuban pay double salary to hire Morey in near future? ;)

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Are you asking if he will Pull an "Oden"?

Maybe Morey has "the asset" to attract.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

No, Cuban is much like Jerruh Jones, he needs a yes man for a GM and I think him and Morey would just clash.

Cuban does a helluva job any ways .

8. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

Doesn't Wade already have a ring?

9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I've wondered about this. We have the GM who drafted guys like Brooks and Landry and left everybody scratching their heads. Got Scola for Spanoulis. Got Artest for Donte Greene and Bobby Jackson. Got Lowry for Alston. Bought the 44th pick and the rights to Chase Bundinger. Took that second round pick he bought in Landry and turned it around for Kevin Martin. Acquired the rights to flip picks with NY in 2011 and to take their pick outright in 2012. Undoubtedly those picks will help us in some way. He just makes brilliant move after brilliant move.

I doubt a guy like Lebron will end up here, but I'll tell you this, if I was Lebron, I'd be demanding a trade to Houston. :grin:

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think most really just care about one thing:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OaiSHcHM0PA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OaiSHcHM0PA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

11. Convictedstupid

If this is the case, this just scares me more when/if we lose Morey. Can we please pay him absurd amounts of money to stay with the rockets forever? Please?

12. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Morey's not nearly as attractive as the actual players on the team, such as Kobe or Garnett.

13. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Thats what I was thinking. With all the hype Morey has been getting for a couple years now, I wonder why he didn't wait for his contract to be up and I'm pretty sure teams would of been in a bidding war for him.

14. tested911

tested911 Member

I don't care what he has to dangle in front of Bosh to get him.. :eek: :eek: :eek:

15. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

the angle of morey's dangle will mean everything this offseason.

let's hope he dangles it well.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Dangling himself won't make any difference. Money and a Healthy Yao,will make a difference.

17. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Dangle it, Morey!

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This may be the funniest thread title CH has done.

DD

19. trugoy

trugoy Member

It's all about the dollars, that's IT.

Jason Kidd had a chance to go to Spurs during Duncan' prime and turned it down for the extra year in the max contract.

Nash didn't give a second thought to leaving Dallas when phoenix offered more money.

Ben Wallace left Detroit to go to chicago for only a couple million dollars more.

In fact, I can't see ANY player in his prime taking less money for any reason.

20. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

So let's say we trade Morey for Lebron and let Shane be the new GM. I think that would be a fair deal, though somewhat generous towards Cleveland. Problem would be making the salaries match.

< Good. >