1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Morey dangle himself in front of elite FAs to attract them?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 6, 2010.

1. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Downplaying a fan favorite player just to pump up Morey is a little odd. Anyone should agree that Carl was one of our top players at the time of the trade. We gave up a lot when we gave up Landry. Landry > Hill and picks until further notice - if trades could be broken down that way.

It was an epic trade, but it wasn't 'McGrady and some other guy'. In other words, it wasn't complete 'Jedi mind tricking' - it was fortuitous on our part that New York was maniacally desperate about dumping Jeffries, as well.

Morey is still a human man. He can't make chicken salad out of chicken shiz, as they say. The reason why Clutchfans goes so berserk when we don't land Granger, Iguodala, Melo, Bosh, and Paul in one off-season is because they deify Morey and the reality hurts. :)

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Brooks was a first rounder.

4. skattles08

skattles08 Member

Landry was one of our top players sure but we weren't exactly throwing an all star lineup out there. You can't compare him only to the players we had but to the rest of the guys in the league. We were a decent team and he wasn't a starter. He has way outperformed his draft slot and I'd love to have him back but the point remains that landry for martin is highway robbery.

I don't think there's anything in my post about morey being a deity or even a great gm don't confuse me with the rest of the homers around here. Although I will say that I love DM as our gm and am pretty excited about our future under his tenure.

Also anyone who looks at our recent past and feels justified saying DM will never bring in an all-star talent is a complete fool.

5. skattles08

skattles08 Member

And what exactly am I downplaying about Landry? He is an average player and the fact that we loved him doesn't make him any better.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

This is simply a stupid comment. An average player does rack up production like Landry. Does half of the NBA score with a .600 TS%?

1 person likes this.
  7. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Your a fool until he turns all of that into something meaningful. Like Carmelo or Chris Paul. Championship team. Any of those would do. Until them? I will always be right.

8. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Point taken. Your right. :eek:

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

Not sure why TS% alone matters in the discussion. As far as Landry goes, if you only consider rotation players, and that a big men rotation generally goes 3 deep, then that's ~90 PFs and centers to compare Landry to. Or if you split that, 45 PFs for comparison. I think Landry is in the 15-20 range as far as PFs. He's somewhat above average for a rotation player, and average/below-average for a starter.

I don't think his statements are that far off.