1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Morey dangle himself in front of elite FAs to attract them?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

I can just imagine Morey goes to the front porch of this guys at 12.01am and start dangling himself. :grin: :grin: :grin:

2. foo82

foo82 Member

I agree, Cuban is too hands on, so they definately will clash. Les is probably the best fit for Morey. He's all about business and let Morey have free reign.

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Interesting write-up, and question. What I think is that DM the GM and Owner Alexander have stated out loud that they want, and need, a big-time big this summer to make the Yao-healthy Rox healthy challengers for the June Parade.

I hope it is ultimately not Amar'e. Or Jefferson. Or Boozer. I think the pieces are in place for a potential SnT for Bosh. But, if not CB4 then...who? I just believe that DM the GM has ID'd his 1st, 2nd, 3rd choices and that he will get his man. I am a "'big' believer".

4. rimshot

rimshot Member

just get bosh, morey!!! please!!!

5. Entropy

Entropy Member

If we can wrangle David Lee from the Knicks, I wouldn't mind that so much.

6. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

David Lee is horribly overrated.

7. zainahsan93

zainahsan93 Member

DAVID LEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Entropy

Entropy Member

He'd be a good backup for Scola.

9. tobepg

tobepg Member

I prefer a 1st rd PF rookie backup Bosh ;) .

10. tobepg

tobepg Member

I duno if big names this summer like LBJ, Bosh will consider GM or management as a big factor. However, I do believe in Morey and Rox management's capacity to upgrade the team and make them a title contender.

11. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

perhaps Greg Oden's.........

12. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Then NY Knicks are doomed because by signing or sign-and-trade with their old teams will earn the FAs the most.

13. Tiger23

Tiger23 Member

great scoop man
    that is a very plausible assumption I hadnt thought about that lol what a twist thats so true
    players want the comfort that they kno the GM will do everything in their power to keep this in contention at all times and in the end thats sexier than the ability to sign '2 max players at once' wat a crock NY will squander every move after if they miraculously pulled off big signings NY FO is inept they cant keep a team in contention like GM DM

we stuck it to NY in the finals and we've stuck it to them again with this knee-back trade lmao

14. Entropy

Entropy Member

Me too, but I think the chances of that happening are slim at best.

15. superden

superden Contributing Member

Interesting thought. I doubt it, but how funny would it be if we ended up getting two high quality max FA to come play for the Rockets. Just how screwed would NY be? We take their players, take their picks, and they still suck. I can only wish...haha

16. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

You guys really believe, since we're getting them through sign and trade obviously, that we'd give away 1/3 of our core all for one guy? One guy that isn't gonna be Bosh (give that fairy tale garbage a rest already) or any of the other super elite, and it's a core that took almost three years to build. That's a big gamble.

A third of our core is what it's gonna take, at least, to sign Joe Johnson. That means Brooks would definitely be included, plus probably Hayes/Scola/or Battier, and likely either Bud or two garbage players.

And please, don't give me no "Morey's gonna work his magic" :rolleyes:

17. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I get the feeling that the free agents are going to remember the Baron Davis/LA Clippers/Elton Brand fiasco. All of the big names are going to sit back and wait for another person to sign in NY before they go there... that will probably lead to guys gettin a little impatient and deciding to go somewhere else (probably back to their old teams).

The only ways I see two big names going to NY is if LeBron and Wade call each other up and decide to sign there together... or, Amare says to hell with it and signs there right off the bat, and then somebody else follows him.

So, honestly, it's either going to be Amare + LeBron/Wade/Johnson or LeBron + Wade.

That's why Houston is an attractive place. Big time players know what's going to be in Houston. Yao Ming, Kevin Martin, and solid role players are sitting here waiting for them. So if you can get the same amount of money here, yet get some pretty damn good talent around you... why would you decide to go to NY, where you're not even sure anyone else will sign there?

So with all of that being said, I think the Rockets pull off a sign-and-trade for Bosh. He is THE guy on the list right now. If that doesn't pan out, we're probably going to try for Amare. The great thing about this team is that even if we don't get one of those guys, we can go into next season with this team right now (+ Yao) and we've got a pretty damn good team.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Salary-wise, each of Battier and Jeffries make $7 mil next season (both expiring), so matching salaries is not an issue, if you either include both of them as salary balance, or one of them and others.

In any case, yes, the package will likely include important rotation guys this season, but for a guy like Bosh, it's worth it. Also, the management has shown ability to find and re-stock the team with good players so I am not worried about the team being "gutted." (It's much harder to get a Bosh than a Brooks, Landry, Battier, etc.)

19. T-man

T-man Member

Morey is getting way too much credit for nothing. I think the Rockets are a much worse team since the trade. You gave up a very hot commodity in Mcgrady's expiring contract, and a very good young player for much less. I think the Rockets are not as good a team since the trade, and it set them back from what they could have done. If you are just looking at making a splash of any kind, then he definately did that, but he did not help the team in doing so. This trade needs to be evaluated over time before Morey is annointed. Hopefully over time it will not look as bad as it does initially, and the pieces will fit together better with Yao back in the lineup. That is another big thing though. Yao has proven you cannot build a team around him, so getting pieces to fit with him just seems like a bad idea.

20. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

"I applaud the notion of dangling yourself in front of other men!"

[​IMG]