1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

Who really enjoys the style of basketball we play? Seriously

Can anybody explain the x's o's that mchale is implementing?

I find it mind boggling being that mchale was a post player himself he doesn't see how effective Dmo has been when he gets touches. Yet Dwight get those touches when he's playing and he's ineffective.

2. the big E

the big E Contributing Member

This one's on Eremy Lin.

3. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

It's funny how you are now going to act like we haven't been talking in this thread before the loss, lol.

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Mchale did made a lot of good adjustments in the 3rd quarter against the Blazers to get the Rockets back in the game. Took bev out put Ariza on Lillard, Doubled Aldridge, to name a few.

It's the offensive decisions that leave me wanting. The constant launching of 3s when you're tied or down by a small margin make me cringe.

5. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

SAME HERE! Especially once josh smith hit a few I knew it wasn't going to end well. There is absolutely no way we can advance in the playoffs playing strictly perimeter ball with only one true perimeter player that can create.

6. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

If they're falling we look great though, it's a trap. This game because of the way we play, just needed for someone else to get hot and make timely shots. If we are going to keep Mchale and play this style we need more talent.

7. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

I'm firmly in the fire McFail camp. He's definitely one of the worst coaches in the NBA, but at some point people need to start holding Maury and Le$ accountable as well.

8. davidghall

davidghall Member

I LOVE James Harden, but I think he's part of the problem on offense. James will NOT pass the ball unless it's strictly to get the assist. Sometimes you just have to have ball movement just to get the defense making decisions out there. When he goes into hero mode, it's like 2 on 5. This game reminded me a lot of last years playoffs. Portland executes their offense so well with ball movement, we run isolation while 5 defenders watch Harden dribble.

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

Search for HMMMHMM's threads.

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Rockets currently 3rd in the west with an MVP candidate and another superstar on the shelf waiting to come back. Morey and Les haven't run the rockets into the ground yet

11. Progs

Progs Member

1st round playoff exit also with set superstars and coach. Let's see what happens this year.

1 person likes this.
  12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

This I agree with with. Sometimes when Harden doesn't have the ball he does nothing off the ball which makes bev and the rest of the team look like crap because they aren't 1 on 1 players. They are waiting for the offense to start and Harden doesn't seem to participate if he isn't the initiator.

13. thaGREATwall

thaGREATwall Member

That isn't a Harden problem; it's a McHale's offense problem. His offense is so damn simplistic that it's entirely based on ISO ball and simply looking for the open man. But when you are averaging as many points AND assists as Harden is, your argument just sounds completely absurd.

14. davidghall

davidghall Member

There was one play tonight where Josh Smith lead James Harden with a pass where he was wide open for a 3 in the corner. It was beautiful. There is so much more that could be done with James off the ball to make the game easier for our offense. For some reason we just don't do it. Don't wanna win bad enough I guess.

15. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

He does this because it's our offense. He is our offense.

16. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

It doesn't have to be this way though. There are so many possessions in a game Harden doesn't have to dominate every possession.

17. davidghall

davidghall Member

If he has the ball in his hands 90% of the time, and as talented as he is, of course he's going to have that many points and assists. My point is...he doesn't need to make it that difficult. Sometimes pass the ball just because. Watch the Spurs play half court offense sometime. The ball is constantly moving and MANY players are getting assists.

18. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Tell Morey to get us another play maker and a sharp shooter. Can't believe after a performance like this one people are blaming Harden. Lol if dude had a Korver or Klay Thompson we probably win this game.

19. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Indeed. Without Harden we get blower the F out.

20. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

McHale was alright this game, overall. Made the right adjustments in the 3rd.

The mistakes he made, in my opinion, was taking Smith out early in the 4th and replacing him with Bev. Bev had no reason to be out there since Ariza was guarding Lillard anyway and doing a much better job than Bev.

I would have liked Harden to rest more in the fourth because he was clearly gassed but I understood why he did that since the bench was struggling to score tonight.