1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Here come the excuses

2. cbk41

cbk41 Member

Dick-riding a group of posters in your signature probably catches you a lot more flack than is warranted, LPH. You are only as good as the last points you discussed and how you elaborated on them on a forum and that's how it should be.

3. torocan

torocan Member

Years count because it takes time for a Coach to implement a system and the players to learn and execute that system on the offensive and defensive end.

When you take a job at a company your efficiency is higher as you gain familiarity with your company and co-workers. Basketball teams are no different. Popovich calls it "corporate knowledge".

And it does matter when it's your best player that misses 53 games. Imagine the Rockets without Harden for 53 games and the play offs. Imagine last year's play offs without Dwight.

And there's a big difference between taking a 56 win team (Indiana) to 7 games than losing in 6 games to a 54 win team (Portland). Winning and losing is the main thing, but being competitive in the play offs counts for something as well.

And even if you discount all that, the Hawks have a top 5 offense and top 5 defense this year, with the best winning record in the NBA (42-9). How's our consistency looking? Oh right...

I don't really complain about McHale anymore at this point... the extension is done and it's obvious that Alexander isn't going to fire him any time soon. However, to try to discount the work that Budenholzer is doing is just silly. He's the hands down favorite for COTY right now, and every analyst as well as his own players put a tremendous amount of credit for the success of their team on Budenholzer's coaching.

You can't possibly watch the evolution of the Hawks' offense and defense over the last 3 years without seeing the tremendous impact that Budenholzer has had on their team.

I'll say what I've said for 2+ years now... I don't think McHale is great or bad. I think he's mediocre. And until we see a better play off run, more sophisticated offense than Harden ISO with a drive and kick, and more consistent defensive execution than we've seen the last 3 years I don't see my mind changing any time soon.

And since I don't see your mind changing any time soon either, then I'll just say that we're both entitled to our opinions.

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

It went over your head, just like a lot of others.

5. cbk41

cbk41 Member

Lol. I intentionally keep my post count down to a reasonable level so I don't let things go over my head or make comments without a collected disposition. So I have to disagree with your assessment on whatever the ambiguous 'it' was.

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Go back and read the person quote who stared the convo. He says we are 12th on defense. He is looking at ppg not ppp

7. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I have to disagree with you on the big difference statement you made when referring to Atlanta against Indiana and us against Portland.

All because they took the Pacers to 6 doesn't imo hold any merit because teams get lucky and play out their minds sometimes.
    Didn't went push the Lakers to game 7 without Yao and Tracy.

Yes Mchale got out coached in that Portland series. But our players should shoulder a lot of the blame , mainly Harden who didn't show up until game 3.

The difference between Atlanta and us is Atlanta is not shuffling the lineup like we are doing. They have built their core up nicely while we will see another change in our rotation and core after the all star break.

Torocan you don't think Mchale has handled all the lineup changing admirable?

8. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

^^^This^^^. They come out of the woodwork after every loss...and slink back into the darkness after every win.

They are missing out on one of the most enjoyable Rockets seasons ever. This team is playing with great chemistry...and is fun to watch.

9. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

They disappear after wins? you're being awfully generous, i see him getting blamed for not winning by enough, or "not playing my favorite player" in plenty of wins, just look at that Milwaukee game.

Everything that goes bad is Mchale, everything that goes good is the players, win or lose it matters not

#10089 Aleron, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  10. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

11. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

They complains no matter what. Lol

12. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I made a great post on November 11. I just need to fix one thing:

Kevin McHale has the highest winning percentage of any Rockets coach in history: .600.

13. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Bwhahaha that lil known fact doesn't matter to some big timer.

14. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

What has Kevin Mchale won as a Houston coach. I recall 2 first round exits and a late season collapse. But I guess if regular season percentages are what we are going for then Mchale is one of the greats.

15. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Give him time every coach isn't lucky to win in a 5 year window. I really hope you didn't think we were going to get past the 1st round in Harden's 1st year. Or in Harden and Howard's 1st season together.

Give it time

16. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Oh and guess what JVG or RA didn't get past the 1st round eeither while they here. Surely hope Mchale does. Lol

17. NotChandlerParsons

How bad would a coach have to be to NOT have the highest winning percentage in Rockets history with three years of James Harden and one year of Kyle Lowry? Like, Byron Scott level bad?

Does this happen on other forums? Do Clippers fans pine after Vinny del Negro, THE WINNINGEST COACH IN CLIPPERS HISTORY! until they hired a better coach

1 person likes this.
  18. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

And yet the Clippers are still get bounced out the playoffs. Hmmm I wonder why.

Better example please

19. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

What?

20. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

LOL, This must be repped.