1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will DMo replace Jones in starting lineup?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsJumer, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Jones was playing quite well. But DMo was a better option on defense.

I've always felt that if DMo can play good defense, he'll get minutes.

Right now, I think the two guys are about equal. I just hope they start posting up DMo on offense. If they do that, DMo may surpass Jones as the better player.

2. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Def playing much better but idk if McHale would do that. The guys already have their role. And it would probably affect Tjones. Dmo just wanted playing time which he has earned. I'm good with the rotation as it is right now. But on some nights with some match ups with taller players like dirk or LMA Dmo should either start or go in quicker.

And TJones gets lost lately idk why

3. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

One thing is for sure no more casspi. At least bring Hamilton or idk Canaan we need some 3s and casspi isn't cutting it. Q

4. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

D-Mo has been playing very good defense as of late.

He did a terrific job on the pick-and-roll trapping Dragic. He moved his feet and cut him off, which was one of the keys to the win.

I doubt D-Mo will replace Jones in the starting line-up, but I won't be surprised if D-Mo starts finishing games over Jones.

5. WALAWALA

WALAWALA Rookie

He is not a rookie but he did not play such heavy minutes last year.

6. chandlerbang21

McHale is here to answer op's question?

7. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Jones' strengths: Athleticism/strength; Finishing; Face-up driving; Rebounding; Weak-side shot-blocking; Length
    Motie's strengths: Size/mobility; Post-game (when patient); Solid team-D; Semi-capable shooter
    Jones' weaknesses: Team-D (can develop with experience); Outside shooting; Overall consistency (age related)
    Motie's weaknesses: Strength inside - poor rebounder; Finishing in traffic; Shooting consistency; Shot-blocking; Overall consistency (age related)

I like D-Mo a lot, and he brings some nice skills to the table that Jones doesn't, but far more of Jones' weak points are fixable (or at least improvable). Many of D-Mo's issues are less likely to be fixed.

8. Zergling

Zergling Member

If McHale believes DMo finishes the game better than TJones, then DMo should be starting seeing that he's finishing the game with players in the starting lineup.

He briefly started last year in the 2nd half of the year and the Rockets offense/defense points per possession were off the charts.

I don't see it happening now, but I would do it personally.

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I think it could happen.

10. vator

vator Contributing Member

Doesn't matter who starts. They will both have wild swings in consistency from game to game and sometimes during a single game itself. Jones started strong offensively and rebounded well, but started getting lost in the shuffle defensively. His benching was warranted. D. Mo didn't come in and set the world on fire, but he was solid. When he got scored on it was not due to him being in the wrong places like Jones was, just him getting taken advantage of laterally, but at least he was where he was supposed to be for the most part. I love both those guys though. Experience is the best teacher. I always say I want them to be Scolandry 2.0

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They'll keep it a platoon, so it doesn't really matter who starts, but lately the team has been a lot better with DMo on the court than with Jones on the court so Jones' playing time will probably start to slip.

12. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Both can start.

DMo should get more minutes in general for better winning results and his development.

When the opposing team's have big or strong PFs like ZBo, Dirk or LMA, DMo should start or at least come up earlier.

13. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I'd argue TJones is actually a mediocre rebounder particularly because he does such a poor job of boxing out.

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

Amin Elhassan ‏@AminESPN 3h

McHale on why Motiejunas was in the game: he was out there to prevent Suns from being able to switch everything

Retweeted by Amin Elhassan
    Hursty ‏@Jackooo91 3h

@AminESPN I like that. Jones (as we know) is a terrible defender. D-Mo has good defensive energy despite his flaws

15. BallardLocks

BallardLocks Member

I think there success have alot to do with the lineup beside them. Whoever is playing along side Howard will do better then normal because his double team leave them open.

16. BallardLocks

BallardLocks Member

AHAA! Good find! Mchale is McGenious!

17. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Jones a better shot blocker but D-Mo plays more sound D. Wish he didn't foul as much though. Could've cost us this game.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Seems like every time I see Donatas on my TV he's either bricking a three pointer or missing a point blank rebound/putback.

19. Garner

Garner Member

I actually think itd be a savvy move by mcHale to give dmo a few starts. It's motivate him to continue his play and perhaps motivate jones to rededicate himself to defense.

20. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Jones plays much to well in the first quarter to not start him. It is getting late in the season and messing with the starting lineup has to be at least slightly risky.