1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will DMo replace Jones in starting lineup?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsJumer, Feb 23, 2014.

1. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

What a game! I'm sick of this team having close games, but if it ends in a victory, I could care less!

That being said, DMo has been playing very well as of late. Tonight's game he played the whole 4th quarter and was the difference in the fourth quarter; hitting big shots as well as the final rebound. Lately in close games, McHale has been going to DMo rather than Jones. So, will DMo replace Jones in the starting line up?

There are arguments for both Jones and DMo. Jones and Howard already seem to have that chemistry. Jones is a better ball handler and shot blocker. And McHale doesn't seem too inclined to change things up this late in the season.

On the other hand DMo has actual size, legitimate post up moves, plays better team defense. In a perfect world, where DMo can shoot the three at a better rate, he would probably be the best fit in the starting lineup. He has the potential to be the better of the two players, I feel.

Not a knock on Jones of course, because they both are good young players. They both had chances to get the starting spot early in the season and Jones was the one who took it. Just interesting to see if McHale keeps going to DMo in close games and if Jones keeps having disappearing acts in the second half. It's just great these player are showing up. Early in the season, many we're wonder if both would be removed from the rotation, no less.

What does ClutchFans think? Or does it even matter because we are getting Love/LMA in 2 years anyway? Lolol :grin:

2 people like this.
  2. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

Not going to happen.

3. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Probably not but with his recent performances, I believe he will start cutting into Jones minutes. Fact is, both are still inconsistent so it's a toss up every night how playing time goes. DMO closing out the game tonight is proof that he has earned Mchale's trust.

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Why did jones sit out in the 4th? Fouls? Bad play? Or just coaches decision?

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Didn't read, but the answer to your question is no.

1 person likes this.
  6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Jones gets exposed a lot on defense. He gets lost on PNR all the time. He's just not a very good team defender.

1 person likes this.
  7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nah, I like it where it is, whomever is playing better, they get the majority of the minutes.....and maybe at times play them together.

DD

8. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

It seems to me that Jones's best quarter is always the first quarter.

9. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

exactly what i was going to type.

10. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

This. Jones started off hot and as a result the Rox got a big early lead. Why would we mess with that?

DMo will get close to the same amount of minutes as Jones. It doesn't matter who starts, it's just matters which units have the best chemistry together. Same reason why Bev starts over Lin.

11. WALAWALA

WALAWALA Rookie

Could it be T- Jones just hit the rookie wall. So I would rather keep the lineup as it is. But I believe D-Mo has more potential.

12. clos4life

clos4life Member

TJones is great but his team defense is just not very good. DMo knows how to play team defense much much better. Asik can cover up for TJones when he is at 100%.

To be honest, it's a tough call. Glad I'm not the one making it. I like DMo's game along with Howard, not so much with Asik. Then again, everyone looks better playing with Howard.

13. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

McHale is doing a good job with the rotations. Offense is more important on the start. Defense is more important at the end. Keep TJones as the starter but in most games DMo should finish.

14. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Why should it be a big deal maybe this can be the new version of Scolandry...JonesJunas

15. Pokito1120

Pokito1120 Member

To close games I want DMo in there because he can spread the floor

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Jones isn't a rookie.

17. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

When we play the clips, you best bet we'll see a return to the twin tower lineup. Tjones will get destroyed by Blake/Deandre

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The player that separates himself from the other one will be the one who develops a consistent 3 point shot sooner. As soon as one of those two guys figures it out.... watch out... you are really going to see Howard take off at that point.

Right now they both pretty much suck from the perimeter, but I think D-Mo has the best looking stroke that has a few mechanical issues that could be fixed easier.

Jones' mobility makes him the obvious choice to start the games by getting spacing by simply moving a lot. D-Mo clutters up the paint a little bit more for Howard right now, and is probably more of a small ball 5.

I think the rotation is fine now as it, but if D-Mo can get a consistent 3 point shot.... yeah it might not even be close at that point as a fit for the starting five. However I think Jones has a pretty high ceiling so I'm not really sure you want to stifle his minutes too much. Either way he needs to be playing and needs to be involved in the plays as much as possible.

19. Da34Box

Da34Box Member

Donaterrence Motiejones

20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I see no need to shake up the starting lineup at this point. TJone had a solid game tonight with 15/7. He works well with Dwight and cuts to the basket nicely.

DMo plays well with the 2nd unit and in games like tonight, finishes the game nicely.