1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Still early, but predict the Texan's record next year

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rockets-#1, Jun 20, 2003.

1. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Gaffney/Johnson will make a nice combo. I don't think they are a Bruce/Holt combo but they should be very dangerous.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Don't forget about Bradford. He was double teamed all last year because we didn't have a 2nd go-to receiver. With Johnson being drafted and Gaffney having a year of learning under his belt, Bradford should get more single coverages. I look for him to have a nice year.

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

First off, Carr is more grounded (wife, kids, etc...).
    Secondly, Carr is physically more imposing.
    Thirdly, Carr was slightly more impressive during the rookie campaign. I dont see how you would place Harrington in front of Carr.

What can Harrington do that Carr cant?

For you to say that you arent sold on Carr is ridiculous. And to say that you would still have Harrington over Carr is even more absurd given the fact that you gave no reasoning to your decision.

#23 rezdawg, Jun 23, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2003
  4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

bradford wasn't double-teamed; he's a mediocre WR, at best, who's game -- the deep ball -- was discovered and snuffed fairly early last year. he just doesn't bring much beyond speed to the table.

5. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I'm looking for .500 or better. I believe this team is going to suprise alot of people this year, including myself.

off topic:
    Could someone please post a pic of David Carr's signature. I've looked all over and I can't seem to find it anywhere.

calling...BobFinn*

6. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

7. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Im hoping for a 3-13 season and we get the #1 draft choice, trade down, acquire multiple picks, sign a few free agents, get an easy schedule and get to the playoffs the following season.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

Let's all pray Carr can get to his third read (Bradford) before getting squashed :), but I know what you mean, as a third WR, he has a weapon. He lit up Buffalo early with that speed.

9. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Thanks Bob, close enough. ;) :)

10. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Of course, the last place schedule isn't what it used to be. Only two games are different for the 1st place team in a division vs the last place team in the same division.

For example, the Texans and Titans both play Miami, New Orleans, Jacksonville (x2), Indy (x2), New York Jets, Carolina, Buffalo, New England, Atlanta, and Tampa Bay. And they play each other twice. That's 14 games of each team's schedule.

The only difference is Tennessee gets Oakland and Pittsburgh, while Houston gets Kansas City and Cincinnati.

I don't know that you can count on those two different games as making a big difference.

11. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

You know I meant Jacksonville and Carolina. Cleveland was so worthless I totally forgot about them.

12. D-Roc

D-Roc Member

Your right he is well grounded. 70+ sacks will get you to the ground all the time (coulden't resist). How is Carr physically more imposing? Both are around the same hight and weight. Both played at the same level last season. around 2000-2500 passing yards. But Harrington is a winner. He proved that in Oregon. And he has great composure and is calm under pressure (all the 4th quarter comebacks he has had in Oregon). Also Harrington didin't have to change his release like Carr had to.

I look at both quarterbacks and I don't see anything specail in Carr, but I see a all-pro in Harrington.

To clarify, I'm not a Lions fan.

13. rezdawg

This is how...

[​IMG]

As far as Harrington being a winner, look at his numbers last year and then factor in that he had all sorts of free time on his hands while Carr, as you said, was grounded.

14. D-Roc

D-Roc Member

Both Carr and Harrington had little to work with in their rookie season. But this year is different. Both have added future all-pro recievers, and both teams have somewhat improved there defense. But look for Marriuchi to really push Harrington's development.

15. rockets-#1

I think Carr did better than Harrington did and he did with an expansion team! If Harrington's numbers would have been a lot better, I could see how someone would say he was better. They weren't though and he wasn't commanding a first year team. Carr is the all-pro.

16. rockets-#1

Oh yeah, great response reddawg, I love your wit haha.

17. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Apparently everyone is forgetting about our big TE Billy Miller, who ended up being the leading receiver, I think. With the addition of Bennie Jopporu, who is more of a blocking TE, Miller should be able to up his production and should emerge as Carr's emergency bailout receiver if a playcall goes awry. As for Bradford, he is just a speedster who burns it straight for the deep ball; he was hobbled by an injury which made his speed a nonfactor. He remains only a competent #3 receiver behind the young yet extremely talented Johnson/Gaffney duo, who will surprise lots of defenses this year by their precicious skills.

Let's face it, this team, even with the significant upgrades, will still have offensive line problems if Boselli isn't back, though Carr won't get sacked 70+ times again. Our D is good, but against a tough schedule, realistic goals have me aiming at 5 games, 7 at most.

18. D-Roc

D-Roc Member

Bledsoe is an all-pro. Carr is a 2nd year quarterback who in his 1st season was sacked liked crazy, and when he wasen't getting sacked he wasen't doing anything to show he is an all-pro. Let the guy have a winning season, a high rating, 3000+ yard season and 20+ td season before you call him an all-pro.

19. rezdawg

In the same way, let Harrington do something better than Carr before declaring Harrington the better quarterback.

20. rockets-#1

I'm just saying Carr will be the All-Pro and will have a better career than Harrington. If most everything goes the Texans way next season, 6-8 wins is not far fetched.