1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaq/Javale Drama

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by fmp087, Feb 24, 2017.

1. fiersdownbelow

Sounds like he's almost as r****ded as those who think he "went too far" with his TV show.

Mark Cuban bringing the cringe as usual. It's just a segment on a TV show guys. It's not as offensive as Max Kellerman's PC "sports analysis". Go back to your safe spaces.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  2. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

Shrugs, all I'm gonna say is that from all the times I've watched Inside the NBA, Shaq always could dish but could never take. He takes things very very personally and only a few times have I seen him laugh at himself. He has his good moments too though. I wouldn't want him off the show at all. I laugh so hard when he can't contain himself at the ridiculous things Charles says.

But as far as this whole deal goes, I think Shaq goes out of his way a bit to clown Javale. I too laughed when Shaqtin a Fool came on with Javale. The segment is a genius idea btw. But going back to Javale time and time and time again gets a little old. I mean if it was super ridiculous stuff like his first years of running into his teammates and running back on defense when it was offense, then I'd understand and expect it to be made fun of. But from what I've seen, it's just basic mistakes that aren't even that funny anymore, and I thought Javale had handled it pretty well for some time. Guess it finally came out and Shaq is predictably taking it all super personal.

#142 HewbieTrippin, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    Richie_Rich, Easy and durvasa like this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ernie: Please tell me that this thing with JaVale McGee is over & done & we'll see no more twitter battles.

Shaq: First all, I've never had a thing. Second of all, we've been doing SAF for 5 years. Everyone is on SAF. It's one of the funniest shows in the world. You mess up, you're on it, we do it. We don't try to ruin people's careers. If I was a player & I was worried about being on SAF, I wouldn't mess up.

Didn't it get out of hand when both of your moms had to step in?

My mother is someone I love & respect and said to stop it & never bring it up again. So I won't talk about it ever again. His name won't come out of my mouth ever again. Speaking of SAF, shout out to Otto Porter. We used to ride him a lot too. What did he do? Work on his game, become the #1 3pt shooter in the league. Shout out to Otto Porter for not being sensitive.

Kenny: SAF is something I wait on every night. McGee has been on more than anyone else. But that doesn't make you a bad player. If any GM or coach is not gonna play their guy because he's on SAF, he's gonna get fired next week. Everything you've done on this show is not out of pocket. It was inappropriate when it got to twitter beef.

Shaq: I don't have beef.

Chuck: I've been on this show a long time. I'm biased & got love for all y'all. We're just trying to have fun. (Shaq: That's it.) This is nothing personal against JaVale McGee. I'm disappointed he overreacted. You have to be able to laugh at yourself. Kevin Durant took it to another level, shouldn't have. Steve Kerr did the same thing. We're just trying to have fun on television. I love his mom, she's protecting her kid. You hear words like cyber-bullying. I'm like, really? That's overboard. Then you hear "Shaq's a cop. We can't have cops threatening people!" We're on TV from 8:00pm to 2:30 in the morning. We're just trying to have fun.

Ernie: Cop is not the first word when I think of you.

Chuck: Ain't no police department stupid enough to give you a gun & a taser (Ernie: or a badge).

ipaman and Richie_Rich like this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

don't know what's more stupid, the Shaq Javale drama or the tinman downtownsniper donknock pissing match in the GARM :rolleyes:

5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Shaq is clearly a narcissist (never wrong) and incapable of taking responsibility and apologizing. Fack him, he's not funny and the show is worse since he's been on it.

split41 and macho GRANDE like this.
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

macho GRANDE likes this.
  7. split41

split41 Member

Those guys aren't in the league! As Kerr said he had preconceived notions of Javale before he came based on Shaq's bashing. Shaq's bashing has most definitely led to Javale missing bigger paychecks/more interest from teams based on his "dumb player" reputation. You need to get real, mate. They show shaq falling but they also show vintage highlight clips of him, they never show Javale highlights. They're ****ing around with this guys life for ratings and cheap laughs for 5-6 years now. Shaq is the most sensitive guy out there, he can dish it out, but he can't take it. He's the oversensitive prick.

Also, may I remind you of the glowing praise Hakeem gave Javale after their workout

8. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

If you honestly believe that JaVale is losing money, then there would be a lawsuit. Kerr is just sticking up for his player. You don't think teams do film research before signing players? JaVale makes money and loses money on contract negotiations because of himself, not Shaq, lol. So you're saying teams are like negotiating with JaVale and then say, "well sir, we would have given you $5M more per year on this contract and not signed other free agents, but you made too many Shaqtin a Fool appearances this season, so you're out of luck."

Also, it's not like Shaqtin a fool was the main criticism by everyone in response to the situation. Critics/media/players have rightly said that this has gone too far on Twitter. And I agree that Shaq has gone too far on Twitter, but it was in response to JaVale's homophobic "get my nuts out of your mouth" tweet that was in response to the TNT segment. Both sides got personal.

But I could be wrong, but I'm reading that your contention is the whole Shaqtin a fool segment itself is somehow immoral or illegal or wrong? WTF? You can't joan on a player for doing stupid things on the court? You are correct that Shaq's response has been sensitive until his mom told him to drop it. But blooper reels leading to hurt feelings shows to me that JaVale takes himself too seriously there. And by the way, TNT has shown many many blooper reels featuring their own guys while they were in the league. We just have to agree to disagree if you don't think blooper reels are fair entertainment and claim that they hurt JaVale's NBA contracts.

9. split41

split41 Member

I'm saying people have confirmation bias (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias), Shaq has painted Javale as a dumb player and yeah , obviously, teams do their research when signing players, but people also have anchor points (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchoring), like Kerr said he had a completely different perception of Javale because of how shows like Shaqtin' portrayed him. That is their anchor: "Javale is a low BB IQ guy"

So yeah, Javale has control over getting better contracts, but Shaq's constant smear campaign of a dude just trying to stay in the league has probably led to offers that are probably much lower than they would have been if he was an unknown. I mean look at the crazy contract last season to people like ****ing Solomon Hill (40 Mil over 4 years). Javale is make 1.3 mil 1 year contract.

Obviously you think the media has no influence over public perception, so like you said agree to disagree.

But media perception plays a big part people's perception of a player and Shaq is doing Javale a massive disservice, while he sits there and can't even be man enough to apologize or take any criticism himself. In my opinion it's pathetic of him and you're just making excuses for his childish behaviour.

fba34 likes this.
  10. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

These are two separate things. Anyhow, if you believe that JaVale has never done many dumb things on the court and believe it's confirmation bias and chalk it up to a media created echo chamber, then I saw we just disagree. If you believe that JaVale is being underpaid because of Shaq, again I just strongly disagree and think you lack evidence by simply comparing contracts and saying he's underpaid, lol. You can do better than that, but maybe you can't....it's a big undertaking anyways, so I don't think anyone here should really spend much time analyzing JaVale's contracts.

The second point you made is just wrong because I'm not excusing Shaq's behavior on twitter. They both took it too far. By the way, it was JaVale responding to the segment by writing "get your nuts out of my mouth" that started this round. Who's being childish and pathetic on twitter? They both were. So I agree with part of that point.

But are you really saying Shaqtin a Fool is out of bounds? Are media not allowed to make fun on things that happen on the court? Is that really your position? If so, then yup, we don't have common ground on that point.

11. split41

split41 Member

It's fine to show NBA bloopers.

If you watch the starters they have their own version of shaqtin "weekend whoopsies," which is completely unbiased and way better than shaqtin is, they have legitimate hilarious NBA foibles. Shaq has targeted Mcgee for 5+ years now, and adds in any common NBA mistake (that many players make) as a reason to put him on the show. It hurts his rep and secondly Shaq started it with his Dr Strange parody, which could just be titled "Shaq wants to show Javale bloopers again"

I really can't be bothered discussing this anymore as you don't seem to want budge at all from what you think, despite what I've mentioned about cognitive biases, another example being Harden's defense (WB's defense is just as bad...nobodies mentioning WB's defense). Harden still hasn't been able to shake that rep, despite it being a myth these days.

But like I said, I've got some other things to do today, so yeah.

Peace out

fba34 likes this.