1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rush music update

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

updawg/kingcheetah/everyone,

if you are interested, then Rush is a Band is a great site for monitoring tour date/sale info, breaking news, and anything Rush-related. this is the best rush website on the net aside from the official Rush website imo.

1 person likes this.
  2. Surfguy

Rush Music Today Pre-sale was this morning. After trying for a little bit...I got seats on row 5 in a side lower prom section at AAC in Dallas (Section 119). These are really good seats for lower prom. Floor seats being pulled up when searching were Row P/R in front sections...not bad but around 16th/18th row. I would much rather be up on the side with a clear vantage point.

I'm set!

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Yeah, this is a really good song -- I suggest any old fans (Ima2K) give it another listen.

4. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

I'm loving this!! Thanks!

5. Surfguy

New Rush album is out next Tuesday!

They also just released the title track of the album. You can listen below. These guys are rocking the sh_t out of this song! Can't wait to hear the rest!

<iframe width="50%" height="170" scrolling="no" src="http://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F48823957&show_artwork=true" frameborder="0" ></iframe>

#25 Surfguy, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  6. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Had no idea the lp was about to come out, on first listen the new stuff is harder than the last album, just amazing detail in the recording of Neil's drums.

7. Surfguy

Well, downloaded the album and I have to say...I really dig it!

I love how they added orchestra strings to several of the songs (which are real performed in studio and not synthesized). I hope they have the strings played live in concert.

This is definitely an album representing a continued evolution of Rush music. Certain riffs and parts take you back to earlier eras...but no doubt this an evolved Rush.

I'm not sure where I would rank it at this point among Rush albums but it leaves a lot of them in the dust. It's a very busy album and hard to believe three guys could make such intense, rocking music. A lot of different weird effects in the songs (aside from the strings) and some really cool guitar riffs/drumming.

I feel like an addict who just got his fix. Still have to listen about 20 times to get it all. It creeps on you. One listen willl not do it justice.

8. VanityHalfBlack

Clockwork Angels hits stores today!!!!

9. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Was yesterday but I see you working, a return to the Lp as a complete piece of work for Rush. Each song has a short written intro and it helps in moving the story along and the last song closes with one of Alex Lifeson's most perfect solos!

10. Surfguy

This album has so many wins imo that I'm blown away. It keeps getting better for me with every listen. SO many little details to soak in.

My standout faves (no particular order but with ++ like best and + like next best):

The Garden (++)
    Clockwork Angels (++)
    The Wreckers (++)
    Seven Cities of Gold (+)
    Carnies (+)
    Headlong Flight (++)

Not realling counting Caravan and BU2B...which were released last year and we're pretty good.

But, really, not a bad song on the album imo.

11. Surfguy

Hey KingCheetah,

If you are still monitoring this thread, then what did you think of "Clockwork Angels" song I posted above? I figure if you liked "Headlong Flight"...then you got to like this one, too, cause it rocks hard as well. Tough to swallow on the first listen, though.

Listen to this one...it be beautiful, man. Ged/Alex said they teared up when they brought in the orchestra strings to play/record in the studio.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1wztuqskio8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Been on a Rush video kick over on YouTube all day.

Have you seen this Surf? I always understood Neil hated doing interviews, but he looks so relaxed and comfortable here.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JWyeMA78EEk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  13. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

I think it's more him not being comfortable meeting fawning fans, he cannot take the complements. I recall back around 1994 he was scheduled to do an instore meet and greet at Rockin' Robin, there was even a full page ad in that Houston Music rag. But it was all total BS.

14. Surfguy

I think I did see that interview a while back. Neil is quite the talker. He rambled his way through that interview pretty good. I don't think I've ever heard someone talk as much as him in such a short amount of time. He's an extremely intelligent person obviously.

Neil is doing a lot of interviews these days. In fact, he is doing one tonight on Jim Ladd's radio show on SiriusXM. I think as long as you don't attempt to get personal with Neil and it's about or in the context of the work...he's fine. But, he did have a major dry spell after his personal losses of his daughter and then wife where interviews were out of the question for about ten years at least. But, now he's in a good place to do them again.

15. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Good interview, even if he did seem a little wigged.

I've been listening to the new album off and on all day, and there is some really nice stuff on it.

16. Surfguy

The real life image you can get of Rush is the dinner filmed and put in the newer Rush documentary as an extra bonus item. They started out the dinner sober and drank wine all the way through. They forgot the cameras were there about midway through and let loose...probably the first time they had ever really let loose where fans would see them really being themselves. It turned into a very hilarious dinner with Alex leading the way doing comedy. That is the real Rush. They take their music seriously but, aside from that, they are three goofball friends who are constantly amusing each other. Neil basically said that dinner is who they really are.

As far as what Torn n Frayed said, that is so true. Neil hates being approached, recognized as the drummer for Rush, and fawned over. He is embarrassed by it and "can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend" (Limelight lyric). But, if you run into Neil somewhere as a regular guy with a regular conversation, then he will have a regular conversation with you. But, if you start the conversation with "Are you Neil Peart?", then he will want to get out of there asap. If you are lucky, then he might pause to give you an autograph first.

Albeit, one time he was trekking in the US on his motorbike and he ran into some fans at a restaraunt but who were also trekking on motorbikes. They let on they knew who he was not with fawning over his drumming or the music...but over his books inspiring them to take to the road on their motorbikes. He responded kindly to them and almost joined them for dinner. They obviously knew what not to do when they talked to him. He enjoyed their little encounter and mustered up the will to go over to them to sit with them and continue talking...but they had already finished dinner and were leaving.

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

They get a little more drunk as the video unfolds. Especially Alex...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zb-MwVUUy3g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>