1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Life Coach" John Lucas Fires JaMarcus Russell

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by gucci888, Apr 14, 2011.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Donny - A little reading would have shown you right off the back that he's not rehabbing diseased kids, prescribing drugs, or anything like that. Saying that he doesn't hold weight as a "life coach" or that it's dangerous/irresponsible without knowing what he actually does makes it a little difficult to take your posts seriously.

Lucas is just a guy helping young athletes stay or get back on the right track. He's had personal experience with being an athlete and falling into the wrongs things and he's just trying to help others from doing the same.

I think you're taking the "rehab" term too literally. From what I know, he runs a series of camps/clinics that are geared around basketball while also teaching the participants about keeping their heads straight. As far as Russell, it sounds like Lucas was just serving as his "counselor" like you put it.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

From what I gather, a lot of people come to his clinics for substance abuse problems, no? When I see a "life coach" handling people with problems like that (or other mental disorders, bipolar, depression, etc, which seems to be a common thread amongst people with life issues like that), I get a little leery. But like I said, if he has licensed professionals working for him (or at the very least, maybe some direct referrals?), then I'm all for it.

I've just seen way too many frauds who charge people for "life counseling/coaching" services when they should be receiving professional help. Hopefully Lucas doesn't charge for his counseling services.

Now that we're off that tangent, my main point is that I'm not too terribly shocked that Lucas and Jamarcus didn't exactly hit it off, and this falling out is far from the most compelling thing I've seen to make me think Jamarcus is a royal **** up.

#42 DonnyMost, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011