1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabari Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rvo384, Mar 6, 2024.

1. Rokman

Rokman Member

He is about 4 or 5 years away from filling out his frame. At that point he'll be a real weapon. With a guy like Udoka giving it to him straight every day he'll have the right mentality when he's finally able to maximize his natural gifts.

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

You don't need everybody to be a superstar. Jabari is great he is like Ryan Anderson who can defend and rebound the ball.

That alone is worth a 3rd pick in the draft because guys like that are rare. If you look at how important Porzingis has been on the Celtics that's gonna be Jabari in a couple of years.

And for those saying the 3rd pick should net you a superstar that's far from the truth because we have seen majority of top picks don't really amount to anything or just become role players.

3. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I’ve been calling him Houston Horry to make it come into fruition .

4. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Possibly, but I see no reason he cannot flirt with ~20 points a game like Rashard Lewis in his prime. He wouldn't even need as many shots as most of his would be 3 pointers given the change in NBA offenses.

Plus with both Cam and Sengun out, it is perfect time for to turn up the offensive aggressiveness and work on things.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

He is only 20, give him time. Rashard was 25 when he averaged and became an all star.

6. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

He looked good tonight. I think minutes at the 5 will help him develop an aggressive mindset.

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

He's honestly pretty clutch with his 3's

burlesk and roslolian like this.
  8. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Oh I agree he has time. It just feels like there is a golden opportunity right now given who is out with injuries.

roslolian likes this.
  9. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

This is the opportunity for Jabari to go summer league mode. The team has no expectations at this point. Let him be more aggressive.

Sonicbun8 and roslolian like this.
  10. AuburnRocket

AuburnRocket Contributing Member

You get it ! In spite of what some would have you believe, there is a HIGH demand for someone who can bring those qualities to the table, and they are not easy to find. But, people see what they see. Front office and coaching see those qualities…if they don’t they will trade him…I can live with it whatever happens…even as a Rocket homer.

11. AuburnRocket

We agree to a large extent.Honest question ….how many shots should he get NOW… 11 is not the answer. We have people putting up 15-16 shots and hitting a third of them.We have a forward playing 30 mins. Who secured ONE rebound.Hell, I could roll around on the floor blindfolded and secure one rebound.

Sonicbun8 and roslolian like this.
  12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Jabari rarely does well when he forces shots. Just take what is given at this point. He only has a handful of tools in his bag to get a clean look, and that also heavily depends on how he's defended

hahachui likes this.
  13. AuburnRocket

And, I agree...when he dribbles the ball up court and pulls up for a shot..that is a frustration forced shot IMO. I mean when he shoots he is shooting at a higher overall percentage than Jalen,FVV and Dillon on the season. So, if he has only a handful of tools and is shooting at a higher overall percentage than 3 other players..why should his shots not increase ? Especially with Alpy out . IMO...not fair to look for him to be Summer League fashion when shooting 11 shots. How many shots do you think he needs or do you think he takes up none of the slack shooting with Alpy out ? Just curious.

14. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Eventually he'll make those. I love me some Ime but I really don't think the offense has enough movement. This defense is fantastic but the offense just seems so predictable. I'm hoping we can get someone from the Kerr tree this offseason on the bench to help implement some movmement and better screens to help Jabari and our other players better looks from the 3.

Easy likes this.
  15. Rokman

Rokman Member

You know this off-season Udoka is going to have a laundry list of things for each of these guys to focus on and may even be chasing them down to make sure they are doing it. He was working with the guys a lot this last off-season as soon as the ink was dried on his contract.

With all this young blossoming talent I'm stoked to see what Jabari, Tari, Cam, Amen, Sengun and whoever they snatch up with that Top 10 pick have been refining in their game. Next year, barring injuries I'd be willing to put a grand down that the Rockets will make the playoffs.

rpr52121 and roslolian like this.
  16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Jabari needs more baseline midrange touches. It should be a staple of the offense much like Sengun and the baby hook.

Believe It! and apollo33 like this.
  17. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Fvv needs to run the pick n pop with Jabari.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  18. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Ryan Hollins made an astute observation when he said Jabari started playing more natural and less robotic in the second half. That was spot on. Dude plays like he’s being programmed sometimes. That’s why he makes so many unforced turnovers. Especially the stepping out of bounds on the corner threes. He’s not even aware of where’s heats on the floor or what’s happening because he’s so self programmed to go run to his spot in The corner. He had a turnover where he was coming up court and Jalen saw him sorinting(he was about to be open) and he didn’t even see the pass coming and it looked like a bad pass by Jalen but that was Jabari again playing like a robot and not be long aware if what happening on the floor.

apollo33 likes this.
  19. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Has been playing and doing a outstanding job at C!

Mathloom likes this.
  20. AuburnRocket

They said last game that we are 8-3 when he scores 20 pts. or more....I mean there's that,right?