1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KDur

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mazyar, Jan 11, 2009.

1. mazyar

mazyar Member

In case you haven't noticed, Kevin Durant is having quite a season. Remeber the first half of his rookie season last year. he was shooting below 40% from field and below 30% from 3 point land.

This year he is shooting 47% from field and 42% from 3. Here are his averages so far. Not to mention his top notch ft %.

24 ppg, 6 rpg, a couple of assists, one steal and block each.
    Profile on NBA

Would you guys agree that he has now become one of the top 5 SGs in the league? I can only think of maybe 3 SGs that are clearly above him, Kobe, DWade, and JJ. The others like Manu, Tmac, and Brandon Roy are on the same level as him at best.

Also, don't look now but the Thunder are winning more games lately.

Last thing: Can you guys help me come up with a better nickname for name? Better than KDur :eek:

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He's averaged 25 ppg and 7 rpg since Brooks has taken over.

Nickname autogen: KD35

3. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I actually think he's better then Roy.

I think he's only behind Kobe, Wade and JJ.

His nicknames are "KD" or "Big Skinny."

4. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Kevin Durant cannot create offense for anyone other than himself. I don't know about Mcgrady right now but i would say those other two guys are better than Durant. In order for him to get to that next level he needs to find ways to make his teammates better. He would be GREAT if he could develop some good post moves and play more as a SF. He needs to start taking advantage of his size other than just shooting over someone.

5. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Actually, he has great court vision and is a good passer. He had an amazing pass a few nights ago. The issue is that he is asked to take a ton of shots. Along with Green and occassionally Westbrook (when he's hot), there's nobody to help them score. Manu is having a terrible year, and TMac isn't up there anymore.

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Durant is a badass, as most expected. I don't think anyone was scared by the low FG% #'s last year.

He's moved to SF (Westbrook and Watson start), and that's what he is/will be for most of his career IMO.

I'd put him behind Lebron, Granger, Pierce.. ahead of Gay, Jefferson, Carmelo (at least this year)

7. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I will say i like watching him though. He's just a freak of nature at that size, with his skill set. It's like watching a video game, he could be a sharp shooting Lamar Odom.

I would call him 'the KiD' because his face looks like he's in middle school, i doubt anyone's calling KG that anymore.

8. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

C'mon you've seen good perimeter playmakers on bad teams. Durant is averaging 3.1 turnovers on 2.4 assists, he could do alot better. I would just like to see him take advantage of his size more and make the game easier for himself. He just takes some tough shots, granted he makes alot them.

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

If the Thunder get Blake Griffin: LOOK OUT.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I've noticed his improvement since the last 2 months of last season. KD will definitely be a top 5 SG in the NBA for years to come; no doubt about it. PJ Carlesimo was the worst thing that ever happened to him. Finally with Scott Brooks, KD has a legit coach instead a of loud, screaming clueless fruitcake who cannot relate to players.

KD can't touch Brandon Roy, yet. He has a long way to go. Give him time and let's see. Both guys are in my top 5 favorite NBA players. KD's problem is he makes too many avoidable mistakes. As he gets older, stronger, wiser, he will better gauge what he can and cannot get away with. I feel like the first part of his rookie season was almost a complete waste because Carlesimo didn't even seem to coach him.

baller4, you've got the right idea. The Thunder need a legit inside scorer to become a competitive team. KD, Jeff Green and Westbrook are developing quite nicely.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He needs to play SF.

DD

12. imaham259

imaham259 Member

I think KD's got the tools. I'm impressed with his passing skills for a sophmore, and his jumpers are so smooth. He needs to develop post moves which will compliment his passing skills and get better at defense; def. a franchise player.

13. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

lol they have 6 wins and the op says theyve been winning recently

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He will eventually. For all practical purposes, SF & SG aren't much different on either side of the ball. It's really about matchups with opponents and personnel on the Thunder itself. Green often plays SF which pushes KD to SG. When the Thunder determine Green can defend PFs on a regular basis, he will slide over to PF full-time and KD will move to SF. Or if the Thunder draft a truly dynamic SG next year, KD will go to SF.

15. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

he is playing SF. Westbrook is starting with Watson.

16. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Once Durant packs on 15 lbs of muscle or so, he has the potential to be better than LeBron. Yup, I said it.

Durant is a far more skilled player and may have the most unique body type/skill set combination this league has ever seen. He has the ballhandling skills and quickness of a PG as well as the length to play C. The only thing LeBron has on him, and the rest of the league, is sheer strength. LeBron is built more like a tight end than a basketball player but he knows how to use that strength to dominate - he's almost like a perimeter player version of Shaq, i.e., physically dominant.

The sky is the limit for Durant.

#16 BrooksBall, Jan 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  17. JDMDC2

JDMDC2 Member

I don't know about you but he has no handles all he does is shoot over people because of his height he needs to develope better ball handling skills instead of just driving 3 ft and shooting. Brandon Roy has a much better skill set than Durant. Also Durant has no post moves once again he just turns around and shoots Im surprised he is hitting at a good clip.

18. eckostylez

eckostylez Member

I saw a sign during the Rockets @ Thunder game that said:

"Kentucky Deluxe for 3!"

took me awhile to not understand

19. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I don't agree with that. There are things Roy will always be superior at but Durant is highly unique. Roy can play the 1-3 positions. Durant could eventually play point forward, much like Grady does at times, but he also has the length of a PF/C. He may be only 6'10 but he has a longer wingspan than Greg Oden. Grady wasn't much of a playmaker his first few season so I wouldn't use Durant's current assist numbers to rule out the possibility of him developing this part of his game down the line. He has more than enough ballhandling skills and quickness to become a facilitator off the dribble and their are plenty of glimpses of his potential in this area if you watch him play enough.

Roy is a phenomenal player but just as much as he will always be better than Durant at certain things, the same can be said about Durant. Durant will be a far better rebounder and shotblocker than Roy while Roy will always be a slightly better ballhandler and playmaker. I wouldn't say it's a given that Roy is the better shooter. Durant may be just as good and has the potential to be a better all around scorer.

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I won't even address the durant potentially being better than lebron part but I will ask you how you can even remotely believe that durant could become a better passer than lebron. he was a solid passer here at texas but never showed any kind of court vision close to the level of lebron.

edit...i just noticed the "far more skilled" comment. lol that is just insane to say something like that. obviously you don't like lebron or something because that comment doesn't even make sense.

#20 robbie380, Jan 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2009