1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft live at 2:00pm CT -- come join us!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

KDur

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mazyar, Jan 11, 2009.

1. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

People would have said the same thing about Grady early in his career. Look at him now.

I'm not just looking at Durant's present assist numbers. He has the basic tools to become a good playmaker and I've seen him make a number of nice plays to set up teammates, both at Texas and in OKC. Durant is, and always will be, a far better shooter than LeBron. Durant truly has the potential to have no real weaknesses in his game if he works hard and is coached well.

I know 99% people would scoff at the concept of Durant being better than LeBron and they may be right. That is just my feeling based on potential. I think he's a more skilled player that is only lacking in strength. Once he bulks up, his already strong game will go up a few levels.

#21 BrooksBall, Jan 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  2. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I agree he needs to develop his post game. One step at a time though. He worked on improving his shot this summer. He's make dramtic strides there. His rebounding has also been excellent recently. He can pass, but let's allow him a quality team to pass to. Honestly, without Durant the team may have 1 win.

3. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

LeBron is a far superior ball handler, passer, defender, and athlete (laterally, leaping ability, end-to-end speed). You can't tell me all LeBron has is strength and athleticism - if that's the case, why isn't Joey Graham a top 5 player in the league?

4. BrooksBall

Grady had about a 1:1 A:TO ratio his first 2 years in the league.

Durant is all about scoring right now. He has so much raw talent that the potential is sky high for him. He may never become a good playmaker but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt at this point for the simple fact that he isn't even halfway through his second season as well as the fact that he possesses the basic tools to become a good playmaker. Durant is far more skilled than Grady was at the same point in his career.

5. BrooksBall

I didn't write that statement well.

What I meant to say is that the biggest advantage LeBron has over Durant is his physical strength. He also has that advantage over just about every perimeter player in the league but it is just one of his many advantages. I didn't mean to say that is the only thing LeBron has. He's a phenomenon, too.

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

quit saying "far more skilled". you just discredit your argument when you make statements like that.

also you might want to check your stats because tmac has always had an assist/to ratio greater than 1. he also improved his per 36 min assist numbers every year from age 18 to 25.

7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Can't ride with u on that one. Durant is a scorer. He's actaully a ok rebounder, poor decision maker but is young. He might turn out to be special or he might just be a scorer on a poor team. He and gay are similar to me. Both are long, atheletic and pretty good shooters already. Don't know if they'll go any further.

Brooksball- He's not even in the same gym as lebron, sorry.

8. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Durant is good but don't forget he is on a crappy team. Give Brooks or Wafer as much shots a night and tell them they are the superstar of there team i'm sure they will be playing way way better. He is a top 10 SG, still has to work but is on the road to becoming one of the best SG's in the league..

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Durant is so awesome -- he is going to fill out and be unstoppable.

10. BrooksBall

Well, I knew my comment would raise some hairs.

It'll be interesting to see how Durant measures up in about 4 years. I still say the sky is the limit for him because of his raw skill and physical attributes. He is already very good and hasn't even come close to reaching his potential.

11. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I think he'll be an absolute beast when he gets bigger. He'll be scoring on par with Lebron in the high 20's, but he'll never be in Lebron's league as a player. It's not LBJ's size that sets him apart, but his vision and ball handling. That's stuff you don't develop once you're already in the league.

Imagine if he had Brandon Roy setting him up for the rest of his career. Portland will regret that one.

12. Asian Sensation

LOL you're funny. LeBron is a freak and their probably will never be someone to match his power/strength/speed/quickness/physicality/explosiveness. LeBron has always been a freak since he was in HS so he is used to playing with that much muscle and gradually adding more over the years since he has matured. You say the only thing LeBron has on the rest of the league is sheer strength? You're forgetting the above things I mentioned. Once Durant packs on 15 pounds of muscle.... the only thing it's going to do is SLOW him down. Durant isn't very fast and he's not particularly quick either. 15 pounds of any kind of weight would drastically hinder Durant's game. Durant has a nice game with a smooth jumper but to say that he will be better than LeBron if he packs on 15 pounds of muscle is pretty ludicrous.

13. BrooksBall

Read post #25. I clarified that statement. LeBron has a lot more than just strength. He's a beast.

I just think that Durant has enormous potential. Nobody knows how things will play out.

14. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

Nah, Brandon Roy is better, because Roy creates for others as well as score.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

KD will never have LeBron's athleticism and will have a tough time being as good. But LeBron will likely never have KD's shooting touch. They will always be very different players, with KD relying on finesse and length with LeBron being the unstoppable brute beast.

cabbage, it hurts me so much to think about KD playing with Roy and being coached by Nate McMillan. I try not to dwell on it.

KD + LaMarcus Aldridge + Roy = Eventual championship. :(

16. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Yea, I think he'll average as much as Lebron in their primes just by virtue of the fact that even if a guy is capable of putting up 40/gm (speaking of Lebron here), they don't try to do it (think Jerry Stackhouse/Glen Robinson averaging around the same as Shaq or MJ some years). They'll never be in the same league though.

Same case with me and Roy on the Rockets. Things probably would look alot different right now.

17. BrooksBall

I just hope the next time the Rockets get a top 10 pick in a draft, whenever that is, that they don't blow it.

I'm not implying that they blew it on the deal for Battier. I'm just saying, independent of that, that I hope they pick wisely next time around.

18. King1

King1 Contributing Member

KD isn't, nor will he ever be LeBron. They are completely different players. People saying "once he puts on 15 lbs of muscle" are doing a lot of wishful thinking. They have tried everything to put weight on KD, his body is just built a different way. However, many are vastly underrating him right now. When he touches his prime, the sky is the limit. He's young, humble, and a hard worker. Not to mention he's already a star. Let's wait and see

19. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Definitely. Durant/Griffin/Westbrook/Green is a scary, SCARY core. That core alone can almost rival the wealth of young talent Portland has assembled. Of course, Portland could have just drafted Durant in the first place. I guess the jury is still out there on that one....well, sort of. All the same, agreed totally that's what OKC is missing and Griffin is the prime candidate.

20. mazyar

mazyar Member

I'm going to correct my self a bit here. I forgot to add Vince Carter to that list of top SGs. But VC is not clearly above KDur. Those remain JJ, Kobe, and Wade. You can argue that the rest of those top SGs are better, but the arguement can also be made for KDur.

That is if KDur is a SG. Since I just checked and he does in fact start at SF for the Thunder. I had to correct myself there too.

A few other things:
    I don't see what is so special about Jeff Green.
    The Thunder road Jerseys are kind of looking better than I remembered .