1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Nickname for Shane

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RHU525, Nov 6, 2007.

1. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I have a new nickname for Shane Battier that I just would like to share. I like to call him ALMOST...

Here's why, the next time you turn on a Rockets game just watch how many times Shane Battier ALMOST gets the ball. Could be a steal, could be a block, could be a rebound. Its just funny that people love this guy cuz what he does does not show up in the stat sheet. I mean it is great that he takes an occasional charge every game, but its just mind boggling that he can be in position all the time to come up with the loose ball, but he never actually manages to secure. See the last 2 plays of the Mavs game where he almost got 2 steals, but ended up with none. I can't fault his hustle and I do think he's a good part of the team, but he just seems like he can ALMOST do everything.

I really don't think his one on one defense is all that great, because he is always in good position and he always has a hand up. But MR. Almost just never gets the block or the steal to stop the man from scoring.

PS this is not bashing Shane I just think its funny. You should keep an eye for it.

2. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

nICE....

3. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I'm betting that you're going to be in the minority on this one.

4. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Add this to the list of ALMOST....shooting 3's. For some reason, he just can't seem to make his threes even though he's getting the same open looks from Tmac's passes. Same goes for Rafer......oh wait, never mind

5. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

6. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Last night at the end, when we almost still had time to get back in it (if T-Mac would have had a vs. SA moment), Shane ALMOST stole it twice...

He also ALMOST hit iron on that one shot... sigh.

I like him enough to still sport his jersey though.

He earned my respect last year with all those taken charges... the man has no fear of contact... A linebacker amongst dancers.

7. Eddie5ball

Eddie5ball Member

Hahaha I like this nickname, although Battier is loved by almost everyone here, I think Im about the only one that would like to see him packaged with Rafer Alston for a real power forward, that way we also get in more time for Bonzi, Francis and maybe Snyder.

8. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

the Rockets ALMOST won the game. the Houston Almost!

9. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Rafer Almost .. .... ...doesn't suck..... .... ... but does.

10. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

you're a hater. Shane is one of the cleanest and nicest guys in the league, he plays both ends of the court and does a pretty damn good job. Shane is a role player, not a leader or a dynamic player and has never advertised himself as anything more than that. For me, he's one of my favorite guys to grace a Houston jersey.

11. darnbni99a

darnbni99a Member

12. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Haha like I said I was not bashing him. I just think its funny. I love what he contributes to the team. Sometimes I just wish he could do more. He is a real important piece to our puzzle. Especially if we are really having championship aspirations. But come one just try it. Watch tonights game and see how many balls Shane almost comes up with. You will laugh and remember this thread..

13. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

Reminds me of "Just-in-case Reed"

14. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

He played Dirk the best I've seen. Scola on the other hand....OUCH

15. Pocket Rockets

50% of almost is better than 0% of never

16. mzymmm

mzymmm Rookie

Yeah and we almost beat the Jazz last year.

17. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

TMAC is our best defender, its just a matter of if and when he wants to play it. That's all. Shane is a much better Help defender. I was not saying he did bad on Dirk, but other faster gaurds that he has to chase around is not really his forte.

18. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Shane ALMOST missed the winning three against the Lakers

Shane ALMOST never has bad game

Shane ALmost, Almost, AlMost, AlmOst, AlmosT, AlmoSt, aLmOst, alMoSt,

is about the same as

Shane Blah, blah, bLah, blAh, BLAH, Bleh, Bloo, Bloy, Blue, Blah, Beaner, Blah, Blah, Calico Cat, boobs rule, Blah

^^ other guard he has to chase around isn't his forte? He is a foward guarding guards, I mean he guarded Portlands PG Brandon Roy the other night through the first half.. and how did Roy do that first half? He didn't even almost do good, he in fact sucked the big one

19. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Shane gets his fairshare of loose balls, steals, charges, etc.

I think this nickname is a pretty good description of his style: Shane "No-name" Battier.

He does a lot of stuff, but nobody can ever seem to remember that he did it. It's because 1) He does the little things that are hard to keep track of, 2) He's not quite good enough to be famous, and 3) He avoids the spotlight.

20. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

This is ALMOST the worst thread ever.