1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Captain Marvel

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

Meh, I made it about 4 minutes before I stopped watching. Keep this conservative bullshit in the D&D.

Coach AI and B-Bob like this.
  2. Senator

Senator Member

Dont you guys get tired of the same formulaic story with a different costume each time?

Couldnt believe how much like every other superhero movie doctor strange was once the shape shifting started.

J Sizzle likes this.
  3. Killatron 2000

Killatron 2000 Punk Rocket

I don't get tired of them. I have been into comics for 30+ years. Back when I started reading, the special effects technology was not good enough to do the films properly. Now that the technology has caught up, I can't wait for each movie to come out so I can see the characters that I love come to life. However, I can understand someone that has no connection to the comics to not anticipate each movie.

Rocket River, seclusion and Jontro like this.
  4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Not sure I follow- how is it the same formulaic story? Outside of every action movie with a protagonist.

Rocket River likes this.
  5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, I gave it a chance too, but the whole SJW Marvel thing makes no sense as long as they're a for-profit enterprise. They make business decisions after studying markets. If they're wrong pushing her (and they are pushing her), they will pay a significant monetary price.

Personally, I thought GotG was a stupid gamble for the big screen, but they got it just right. We'll just have to see about Capt. Marvel. They have a good track record, and they're hardly "scrapping" the rest of their cast.

Definitely that vid is D&D fodder though.

Rocket River likes this.
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Disney is soooo gay.

7. jcf

jcf Member

Yes. Coincidentally, I found this guy on line last night. Turns out there is a controversy called Comics Gate where this guy calls himself something like "DiversityinComics" but seems to hold the opposite view. 'Nuff said here, but there is a lot of vitriol surrounding this issue.

I hope the movie is good. Will feel kind of weird if she is more powerful than Thor. But so far, I have enjoyed these Marvel movies for what they are.

Coach AI and B-Bob like this.
  8. droxford

droxford Member

Sometimes movies are clearly following liberal agendas for feminism, race, etc. (they're SJW movies).

Sometimes they're not. I'll give Captain Marvel a chance and see how it goes. I think it's premature to call it a SJW movie if it hasn't even been released.

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

what is a sjw movie?

10. B-Bob

Slack-jawed weakling... movie.

Jontro and A_3PO like this.
  11. B-Bob

I mean, seriously folx. Move it to D&D if you think a major studio is ever projecting political preferences over profit. Throwing around these stupid terms (like "SJW" -- I can definitely think up some negative terms for the other end of the political spectrum) can easily be avoided here in the Hangout. TIA.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  12. droxford

droxford Member

Actually I was trying to guide this discussion away from anything political or controversial. My point is that we shouldn't criticize the movie as being politically slanted if it hasn't even been released yet.

I'm interested to see how it's written. Marvel has done a very good job of making entertaining movies from characters & stories that could have easily been developed poorly or stupidly.

arkoe, Invisible Fan and B-Bob like this.
  13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Left and right and whatnot are very much relative terms. When you are way out on the right, everybody else looks like a leftist liberal hippy pot smoking commie Satanist, even though you might have been a wild liberal measured in the terms of Cromwell's Protectorate.

Ask yourself, how many times have you ever said, 'woah,that guy is WAY to far right wing for me'?

If the answer is never, then it may be an issue of you being out of sync with current norms, not the filmmaker being out of sync. For someone way on the right, the middle looks liberal.

Not trying to D&D this, the same applies to extreme liberals and people in the middle. Political spectrum is defined relative to the society's current norms.

During the French Revolution, the American hero, the Marquis de Lafayette was alternately condemned as an anarchist revolutionary, and s reactionary royalist stooge. From the right angle, he was probably both.

#93 Ottomaton, Sep 11, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  14. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

15. CCorn

CCorn Member

She looks pretty good in that trailer IMO.

16. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Looks solid, like what a Green Lantern movie should look like.....

Rocket River likes this.
  17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Looks pretty damn good to me.

18. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Good teaser-ish trailer. Doesn't reveal anything but hits enough highspots to get your interest. I hope this is good.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Trailer is OK. I suppose the next one will be good.