1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Captain Marvel

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Roscoe Arbuckle

Growing up, I knew about all of the main MCU characters. And the DC heavyweights, as well.

I've literally never heard of Captain Marvel until this nonsense. It is such a cliched SJW thing. Now the most powerful person in the universe is a 28 year old girl?

I'll watch it when this comes out, but if this is the way movies are going? We are in PC Hell.

And, FYI, I really liked Wonder Woman's movie; mainly because we all grew up with that character. Looks like Marvel dreamed up this nonsense in 2012, several years after Marvel movies had made an impact.

Snap.

cwebbster likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

I know very little about the Marvel comic book lore, but I do know that this is not some new thing, I believe that this character has been around and has been a very big deal since the 60's or something.

Snap.

3. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Yeah, that movie should have been this generation's Bill & Ted in terms of cult status and popularity. I think it's cult status will continue to grow, but yeah...will never be as popular.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

My favorite character growing up was Rogue in the X-Men animated series. She got her super strength and flight ability by stealing them from Captain Marvel (known as Ms.Marvel back then) in the early 80's.

So yeah, she has been around in one form or another for a long time. The Captain Marvel title is fairly new, but the powers she will have in the movie she had in the 70's.

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Marvel started heavily promoting female heroes about 10 year ago. It's due to a) Disney buying them (Disney's core market has always been young women), b) the Zeitgeist of nerdy girls being a valid, emerging market, and c) yes, PC is vogue as well.

As for Captain Marvel being the most powerful Marvel hero- Marvel's selling point early on as a comic book publisher was that their heroes were more believable and down to earth. Marvel never really had a 'Superman' type character, except maybe Thor, who was never promoted as the penultimate omnipotent hero that Superman is. Marvel also never really had a 'Wonder Woman' archetype female Superman. Finally, MCU promoting these heretofore 'B-List' heroes as their heavyweights was due to licensing- the X-Men, Spidey, Fantastic Four and to a lesser extent, Hulk lines of characters were tied up with other studios.

I'm good with Captain Marvel being the big heavyweight in the MCU. Maybe they'll have Thor have a crush on her because she beats him arm wrestling- it would be funny AF.

6. jcf

jcf Member

The original captain marvell was a Kree warrior who ended up saving Earth and incidentally was the primary nemesis of Thanos (before Adam Warlock).

He died of cancer and is one of if not the only superhero to stay dead.

This Captain Marvel has been around a long time and was a member of the Avengers in the 80's.

She was powerful but not Thor level.

7. marky :)

marky :) Member

God forbid that a female character that has been around since the 70's and has a significant role in the marvel universe will be put into the spotlight as the headliner now. Those damn SJW things. :rolleyes:

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Gender balancing is the trend and the MCU is falling in line. Not surprising.

Marvel also needs something (someone) distinctive to launch "Phase 4" of their universe.

It all makes sense IMO. What's most important after Avengers 4 is how good the movies are, not how closely they conform to the original characters. Marvel's only chance at continuing their stratospheric success is pushing different heroes to the front that fit today's norms, not those of the 80s. They cannot keep doing the same thing because some of the characters are getting tiresome. The changes may alienate some of us (me included).

I feel confident Brie Larson's Captain Marvel will not disappoint. She can carry a movie as well as or better than any current MCU male actor.

Going forward, Marvel has to keep the focus on entertaining, not messaging. But even with great execution, I believe the MCU's decline is inevitable. The act is impossible to follow.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You obviously don't read Marvel comics if you buy into any of your drivel. Female characters are very strong and important figures in the universe. It's not some made up studio stuff.

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

My problem with the suit is that looking at it, I can't understand the function of any of it?

Why is there so much stitching for example? It doesn't look comfortable to move in.

I'm probably speaking more generally here... superhero costumes like this make no sense... to me.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

X-Men are coming to Disney. So if they built up Captain Marvel, had her save the universe, then did that Rogue storyline as the boiling point towards making humanity hate mutants (and not any super-powered person), that'd be a great way to go about it. Better than having Fantastic Four fight Namor (mutant) after he drowns half of the people in NY.

12. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

So...what change have they made here that is threatening to alienate you or anyone else? The fact that she's female and leading a movie? Come on meow.

Captain Marvel has been a leader in the comics for awhile.

#52 seclusion, Sep 7, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    Killatron 2000 likes this.
  13. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

There's really too many options media-wise for anything that isn't absolutely transcendent to have an impact like older movies did. It's pretty popular though, it just didn't do amazing in the theater, unfortunately. I'm guilty here as well, I didn't see it in theaters. Dredd either, and I'm intensely in love with both of those movies.

14. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I'm pretty sure her costumes are supposed to be inspired by flight suits. Since she can fly around in space, I'm guessing she might need a little extra protection from the elements.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think the primary change is that they are supercharging her powers to make her stronger than she ever was in the comics, but that's not always a bad thing. I think the worry is that Marvel will screw everything up chasing SJW nonsense like Star Wars did.

That said, Marvel has been dunking on DC for so long when it comes to showing them up on TV and in the movies that perhaps they are looking for another victim. Perhaps Marvel will show Star Wars how to do heavy handed feminist SJW BS without destroying the entire IP. Marvel seems like they can do no wrong right now so if anyone could do it, they could.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

A sincere, non-hostile question:

What did you not understand about: "I feel confident Brie Larson's Captain Marvel will not disappoint. She can carry a movie as well as or better than any current MCU male actor. "

I have zero problem with Brie Larson's Captain Marvel. I've been touting the movie (probably including here on CF) since she was announced. There is no better choice of flagship character for MCU Phase 4, IMO.

17. Killatron 2000

Killatron 2000 Punk Rocket

Captain Marvel is more of a mantle than a particular name for a hero. It is dependent on who is the current wearer of the Nega Bands This Captain Marvel just happens to be Carol Danvers. There have been other men and women to claim the title. I do not believe that the studio is amping her power due to her sex. Captain Marvel is just a very powerful cosmic level being in the Marvel Universe. In fact, at one point Carol Danvers was the hero Binary, who had the power of a white hole. I doubt that this movie version is even as powerful as she has been in the comics. Can't wait to see this one!

18. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I didn't see a question in there. You still haven't answered my question, which is what exactly about this movie is alienating anyone?

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

There's more than a little cynicism in this thread. From what I read, it isn't an origin story (maybe they flash back to show how she got her powers and such). I do hope they make a really good movie, not just a lead-in to her stomping "a" in Avengers 4.

But I won't lie. Brie Larson in a superhero costume for the better part of 2 hours? I'd be there anyway.

Anyone remember her possible direction received while making Kong? "Okay, 'Tank Top'----er, Brie---stand in profile.....thank you......ACTION!"

Xerobull likes this.
  20. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Captain Marvel has been around for a while, but she is by no means a heavyweight that can go toe-to-toe with Thanos. I look for her to outsmart Thanos with a surprise, reversing the effects of the first movie.

A big factor of Marvel’s movie success, is, that there’s no immediate overpowered characters like Superman. The powers are distributed well and everyone can make a difference in a fight.