1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beto vs Ted

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 24, 2018.

1. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    Beto is done. No substance -- just a good looking guy smiling and cuddling puppies and hugging grandma on TV. Cruz is the opposite. Physically unattractive man, but a razor sharp mind and a lion in the Senate. Democrats can't win on substance or policy arguments in any purple/red state. So they market candidates based on identity politics, poll-tested non-substantive feel good words, and slick marketing campaigns. Beto will slink back to anonymously drinking frozen margaritas with salt like all the other Irish men in El Paso in short order.

GOOD DAY

Bandwagoner likes this.
  2. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

I do agree that the majority of Texas is against those things (doesn't make it right though, it just shows why we have been a Republican state for a while).

I would respectfully disagree that he is trying to get by on motivational speaking and a nickname. I think his campaign thus far has been so successful because he is getting out there in front of people. Ted barely shows up for work, you think he's going to go meet people that will eventually think he's a weirdo?

I am interested in the debates. I'd like to see what all the hype is about. An awkward person who very little people genuinely like (reportedly), is going to say a few words, dodge the fact that he has no backbone, use some debate magic, and all of the sudden people will vote for him in droves? Admittedly it will probably happen, but I want to witness this.

B-Bob likes this.
  3. dmoneybangbang

Lions aren’t beta. Lol, Cruz had to ask Trump for help... the guy who mocked Cruz’s wife.

adoo likes this.
  4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I find his new Texas-pride campaigning strategy to be very condescending. Not just condescending, but transparent in its condescension and in its artificiality. But it worked for Trump when he told evangelicals he believed in God, and when he said he'd drain the swamp. So I will not make the mistake of thinking Texans are too smart for this bs. After all, I don't think voters are looking for an argument to convince them which way to vote, they are looking for an argument to present to others to defend how they voted. "Cruz represents Texas values" is that argument, and it really doesn't matter what the stuffing is.

ipaman and Nippystix like this.
  5. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Ouch. The truth hurts.

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Beto was and still is the underdog... just like the Rockets will be in 2018/9. And just like in the NBA, it will make the upset victory all the sweeter...

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

What kind of crap policies are these? Un-American, tofu-eating, brown people-loving ones. What a terrible human.

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

2 bills in 6 years. I don’t know what the record for least work done in 1 term is but I have to think Cruz is in the running.

Sending out campaign material under the guise of legal summons is just the epitome of Cruz...slimy, ugly, and full of s***.

ipaman, B-Bob, adoo and 1 other person like this.
  9. CCorn

CCorn Member

Saw a Cruz sign today!!!

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I don't think Beto can win. Its kind of sad that a guy who pretty much does nothing is going to beat Beto. Even the republicans I have talked to don't really like him.

Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  11. CCorn

CCorn Member

I have a feeling Beto has more experience on a smoker than the Canadian

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For what it's worth, I don't like Ted Cruz either. He's not a likable person, but when it comes down to it, you vote for what a person stands for, not who wins Miss Congeniality.

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And Ted Cruz stand for not allowing Democrats to ban BBQ.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Is that a thing?

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

According to Ted Cruz that's a thing.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Interesting. He should probably just stick to pointing out O'Rourke's actual agenda, that alone will be sufficient to win Cruz the election handily.

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

What does Ted stand for. Trump insulted his wife and he grovelled to him.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Look at his voting record, it shows what he stands for.

Would he support an assault weapon ban? No, would O'Rourke? Yes.

Would he support getting rid of ICE? No, would O'Rourke? Yes.

Would he support blanket amnesty leading to defacto open borders? No, would O'Rourke? Yes.

You can go issue by issue, it's not about liking Ted Cruz as a person, it's about trusting him to vote for things Texans would have him vote for and against those things Texans would have him vote against.

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

You have been listing the same 3 issues. (one that isn't true). Is there anything else?

All this stuff Beto supports I guess you dislike.

Beto also doesn't take money from corporations so you know when he supports something it isn't because he is getting bribed to support it. You can't say that about Cruz.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I got all 3 of those from his website because he doesn't publicly talk about what he really stands for on substantive issues. I could do more, but what's the point?

When it comes to high speed internet access to those in the sticks, everyone supports that.

When it comes to paying teachers "a living wage", the average salary for a public school teacher in Texas is nearly 53k a year.....is that not a "living wage"?

The "expand medicare" bit is just the same kind of "free stuff" policy that everyone wants but no one wants to pay for.