1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beto vs Ted

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 24, 2018.

1. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

This has been mentioned in this thread for probably more than 20 times.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

"If you like your rifle you can keep your rifle"
    -Fresh faced Dem with odd name

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Expanding Medicare to a state that struggles with healthcare seems like a good thing to run on. 4 out 10 teachers in Texas feel the need to get some kind of supplemental income. 53k may be a living wage, but maybe not when you're in (student loan) debt.

Everyone is going to have their own opinions, but I'm still struggling to figure out what you think is "substantive". If it affects Texans it has substance.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It is a liveable wage, but that is average and I think total compensation including benefits which is pretty low for a college degree job.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Doesn't change what I said, everyone wants "free stuff" but no one wants to pay for it.

That doesn't mean that they aren't paid a "living wage", there's all sorts of reasons why they'd choose to get some type of supplemental income....especially when they get paid their salary while not having to work for the summer. That leaves them plenty of time to add extra income while they are being paid to not work.

Again, this is something people always pimp out for votes, but it's not really based on reality.

What I mean by "substantive" are the types of issues he'll be forced to talk about in the debates.....which is why he shouldn't have agreed to them.

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

What are the substantive issues he will be forced to talk about? Can you give a straight answer so I can keep my post count down, please.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The average for those with bachelor's degrees is just over 50k, so the average teacher's salary is just over that....despite not having to work all year long and the job not being that difficult in the large scheme of things. Also job security is much better than most careers you can go into.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The first debate is on the 21st, tune in and find out!

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Especially since it requires some amount of post-graduate work as well.

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

This is why you tolerate Cruz, Bobby. You circle around simple questions with words, not fully answering anything, just like Cruz. You say Beto has no substance, I ask you what is the substance you're looking for, you give no real answers.

[​IMG]

I'm trying to understand your POV.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Do you know any teachers? Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about (again). A lot of teachers work beyond the school year not to mention they work more than 40 hours a week grading papers and whatnot. The job is actually much more difficult relative to other jobs. Dealing with a classroom of kids and teaching them knowledge isn't easy.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I have several family members that either are currently, or were once public school teachers, so yeah, I know what I'm talking about. It's not the easiest job ever, but it's not that difficult AND you have amazing job security and tons of off time. Maybe you know pretty awful teachers if they are struggling. The standards are pretty low for getting on as a teacher so it's very possible that you know some really stupid people that probably shouldn't be teaching.

13. CCorn

CCorn Member

I would like our school systems to be filled with teachers who are doing more than “just trying to get by”.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, in a perfect world we'd pay them all 500K a year and give them a free Cadillac, but that's not something that people want to pay for.

15. CCorn

CCorn Member

I wasn’t talking about compensation.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Gotcha, well as to that, if you do anything to try and increase the quality of teachers, you'll get teacher strikes in order to prevent it. They like their job security and won't give it up without a fight.

17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

That isn't true. The way to increase the quality of teachers isn't by doing things like increasing class size ratio, requiring extra duties outside of the classroom, cutting teacher benefits, not giving them pay raises or any of the things that will cause teacher strikes. It would be through providing greater benefits, reducing class size, paying a better wage and things like that.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I was suggesting enforcing quality standards....but yeah, that would lead to teacher strikes. I guess we could just pay the same terrible teachers more money and hope by some miracle they become better teachers....but let's just say I'm skeptical at a "just throw money at it and hope it gets better" policy.

19. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

You don't know what you are talking about. Our teachers' union proposed and helped develop teacher quality standards by which teachers should be evaluated.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh, so then I guess it's not a problem, clearly those standards were so amazing as to get rid of the bad teachers and leave us with only the best of the best teachers in Texas.....but then again, I know too many teachers to believe that lie.