1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beto vs Ted

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 24, 2018.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You aren't really living in the real world, are you? Teachers who are problems get fired or leave the profession on their own all the time. The average career length for a teacher is something like 7 years. There are still some bad teachers and will always be. But strikes aren't usually because of attempts to get rid of bad teachers. Good teachers want that as well. The things I mentioned are what motivate teacher strikes.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough, you've convinced me, the quality of teachers in Texas is amazing...unfortunately it isn't me you need to convince, it was @CCorn suggesting that the quality of teachers should be better.

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think Texas has a real teachers' union presence, does it?

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

@Bobbythegreat we can always improve. Anyways what I was commenting on was you saying “you’d have to be stupid to get fired”. I don’t want teachers that are just going through the motions. I would prefer performance based incentives, which would depend various factors, to open up opportunities for better pay.

You jumping to 500k and a Mercedes just makes you look silly.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They do, sort of, but the part I was really wrong about that you should have caught me on is that teachers apparently don't have the right to strike in Texas. Teachers who go on strike in Texas can lose their teaching certificates and pensions. That was a pretty massive oversight.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I said that because there are several teachers in my family and I'm constantly hearing about bad teachers that almost never show up to work or other horror stories and there never seems to be any punishment for them. That said, I'm not a teacher so I don't know this first hand so it is what it is

7. CCorn

CCorn Member

Would you support more incentive based pay increase opportunities?

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely. I'm not sure how you'd do that, but I support meritocracy more often than not. Those who perform the best should get the most....but what standard would we use to determine that?

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

To explain further, you can't base their raises or whatever on test scores because then teachers would be punished for having stupid kids and it would lead to all of the best paying jobs being at the most affluent schools and no one wanting to take on the jobs at the poor schools.....which is already a problem.

There's gotta be some way of doing it, but I certainly can't think of it off the top of my head.

10. CCorn

CCorn Member

I don’t know, but I’d be curious to see what ideas are out there. Anyways, the starting pay for teachers is decent for straight out of college. The problem is they plateau super fast.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It’s called the UEA, but not traditional union. It has been ineffective in keeping Abbott and co from gutting the TRA, but they’ve helped us recently with a claim we filed. A kid made a claim, the principle threw my wife under the bus, the UEA rep stepped in and days later the kid admitted she was just mad that she didn’t get the part in the show she wanted and the girl who did is dating her ex boyfriend.

Yes... that stuff happens.

Teachers need a union like crazy. They are losing the battle on the future of their retirement benefits and barely have healthcare benefits anymore. The UEA is barely effective enough but without it, things would be 10x worse for teachers here in TX.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  12. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

It’s simple economics you fuggin contrarian. You increase the compensation, you increase the competition for the position. You’re like the Skip Bayless of this site, just trying to get a rise out of everyone..

13. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Beto believes in a broken immigration system that rewards deadbeat nations with large flows of people to the United States.

We need a system that delivers for Americans. A system that allows higher immigration quotas from countries that share our philosophical, moral, and ethical values; that have strong economies and aren’t backwardly violent or oppressive.

This new system needs to squash the large flow of immigrants from inhospitable nations, and begin to treat Americans with the dignity and respect they deserve.

We need change.

14. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

If their nations were hospitable, they wouldn’t be needing asylum. I can’t help but feel the distinguishing characteristic that defines how the right and left perceive issues differently is the right’s lack of empathy. I realize that may not be fair to many on the right, and I’ve pissed off more than one friend by sharing it, but I can’t make myself not feel that to be mostly true.

15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

We do have a broken system. And we do need change. The change that Beto support is what is dignity and respect for all, plus it's good for the economy. But Beto is just one guy. If you want change and think the current system is broken... why aren't you blaming the party in power. Such as:

GOP has control of TX for how long now? Why haven't they done anything?

GOP has control of both chamber of Congress and the executive. Why haven't they done anything?

The truth is the GOP want immigration for certain industry while at the same time want to use immigration as a political issue. The DEM isn't so far behind that either. But they aren't in power to do anything. Maybe they should be and we will get some real change? Nay. What we do need is some middle ground - some compromise. If you really want change, you get people in that is willing to work together on a solution. Cruz hasn't been interested.

16. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

#856 dc rock, Sep 19, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    JeeberD and NewRoxFan like this.
  17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Exactly. And I highly doubt he knows that many teachers if he’s so damn confident there are so many bad/lazy ones. Give me a break. I’m surrounded by teachers. All of them put in insane hours and deal with constant sh$&. They obviously work way harder than Bobby does since he has all the time in the world to post here all damn day.

And Teachers are not working in a for profit corporate environment with customers and a product. They don’t have incentives to further the productivity of an organization that is easily measured by sales, or other tangible measurements. This whole “by merit” argument is bs and shows an ignorance about what success looks like in the teaching profession.

Increasing pay however does absolutely help bring in higher talent that would otherwise be lost to corporate America, and keeps on seasoned teachers with experience who retire as early as possible because the financial difference is not that different. Teaching is all to commonly becoming a “right out of college” job because that’s all that can afford to take that type of salary and time commitments.

Once again Bobby has no idea what the F he is talking about I’m sure. Shocker.

TheRealist137 likes this.
  18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Could that be because they just don't talk about the average to good ones as often as the bad ones would come up? Of course there are bad teachers. 1 is too many. They're constantly evaluated and they constantly run the risk of not having their contract renewed. More of a problem is bad leadership. My wife worked in a school that was 98% Title 1. The principal was a joke. He couldn't remember who was who...unless they were 25, blonde, and well endowed. He nearly didn't renew my wife because he mixed her up with another teacher that had a lot of complaints against her.

In your first 5 years, you are working for your contract every year. Even when if you get to your continuing contract, you're still evaluated every year. You could not be asked back to that campus. That means you have to find another which because incredibly difficult to stay in the same district. There's "punishment" for bad teachers as long as there are good administrators. The bad ones get weeded out, usually before they get to that contract. Do some get through? Yeah. Just like in any business, bad employees somehow get on the right side of those that make the decisions. It's usually due to bad administrators, though.

19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I was looking at Quinnipiac numbers at it says 45% of hispanics want to vote for cruz?

What issues important to Hispanics is Cruz advocating?

20. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Psssst.... a lot of Republicans also believe in this "broken immigration system". Cheap and desperate immigrant labor has been a hallmark of America for hundreds of years.

I'd be shocked it there are boats full of Norwegians and Danes looking to come here in this current climate.

mdrowe00 likes this.