1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zhou Qi

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by rockets2012, Mar 17, 2015.

1. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

He looks slow, unathletic, and weak. Guys will take him to the post and take away his height by bumping him. Maybe he could do some stuff on the weak side but at the expense of the team's post defense. He couldn't box anyone out either and guys would dunk on him. Not impressed at all.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He does not have capela's athleticism but the kid obviously has touch with that kind of shooting percentage.

3. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

I don't believe either measurements, especially he maybe still growing. Anyway, 7"1' height and 7"6' wingspan with his body type have to amount to more than 9"2' reach.

4. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is EXACTLY the same thing that was said about Gobert. "He is weak, slow footed, and can be bumped easily in the NBA."

For both players, their defensive impact was off the charts. Gobert bulked up. What makes you think Qi can't?

You're not impressed by a 19 year old playing in a Pro league with great defensive stats? Ok. What about his teammates Andre Blatche and Jordan Crawford saying he's the next Anthony Davis? Who would say that if he didn't at least have some type of game changing potential out there?

You're also not impressed by the fact that he faced players like Okafor in U19 and held his own, while being 2 years younger than everyone?

Bottom line. This guy can play.

5. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

His name is pronounced "Joe Chee." I was pronouncing it "Zoo Key." Whoops.

I'm hesitant about any player 7 foot and above. We've been burnt before. Although "you can't teach size" you also can't help but expect injuries from men this tall. He looks great now.

Note: Dwight is his favorite player. Pick him up.

#25 bobloblaw, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  6. SunsRocketsfan

I'm sure Blanche and Crawford were just being nice since they do play in the chinese league.. I'm sorry this guy looks like crap so far. Also he plays in a pretty crappy pro league. To put things in perspective Yao Ming averaged 40 pts and 20 Rebs while shooting over 76% in the CBA. This dude is averaging 14 and 7. Even Yi averaged 25 and 12 in the CBA and he couldn't stay in the NBA.

7. valorita

valorita Member

Poor mans capella

8. haoafu

CBA had weaker competition when Yao played, and those are Yao's numbers in his last year there before draft(22 years old). Zhou has better CBA stats than Yao did as 19 years old.

9. mingthething

mingthething Member

No Lin comparisons yet. The worst thing that can happen is if this dude has 2 weeks of brilliance then regresses to his mean. Then... well, you know.

10. SunsRocketsfan

This dude will never be yao. Wasn't Yi like 18 or 19 when he got drafted? He was averaging way better stats at the same age.

11. ironariza

ironariza Member

The most important thing is whether he can gain weight or not.

looks like he can not. maybe he will always be so slim.

that is the problem!

12. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

He would be a good fit next to a good post-defending big like Marc Gasol who can guard the post player on the other team so that Zhou can be the rim protector/weakside help. Although personally I don't see the aggression in him necessary to succeed in the NBA.

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

same concerns over gobert pre-draft. this kid has a similiar body. worth the punt if he available late in the first round.

14. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Nice player! I wonder if he'll bulk up to fit his skill set or learn to dribble and play SF.

15. haoafu

Yi got drafted as 22 years old, and turned 23 before his rookie NBA season.

16. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

If someone has Gobert measurements and potential as a 19 year old, and doesn't have low IQ, you'd be crazy not to spend a late lottery pick on him.

You also absolutely cannot compare someone that's 19 against people that are 21 or 22 years old. That is just not fair.

This is why I was so impressed to hear he did extremely well at U19 when he was a 17 year old.

17. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

Only problem is he may not last until then.

If he does work outs shows a bit of Gobert-like defense, I doubt he'd last past mid 1st round.

18. rockets2012

rockets2012 Member

19. ironariza

ironariza Member

r U serious? me too

I think Giannis is his idol, he can play SG!

7’2 SG is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rigjt?

20. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

He seems very solid in terms of basketball fundamentals.

The problem is his frame is nowhere near NBA level. I'm pretty sure he can't even back down Jason Terry.

For someone his size, he needs at least a few years to develop an NBA body. If he bulks up too quickly he will have a lot of health issues.

Either way, he won't be playing in the NBA (or getting any minutes in the NBA) for the next couple of years.