1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Young Republicans support Iraq war, but not all are willing to join the fight

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by gifford1967, Jun 25, 2005.

1. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Young Republicans support Iraq war, but not all are willing to join the fight

By Adam Smeltz

Knight Ridder Newspapers

NEW YORK - Young Republicans gathered here for their party's national convention are united in applauding the war in Iraq, supporting the U.S. troops there and calling the U.S. mission a noble cause.

But there's no such unanimity when they're asked a more personal question: Would you be willing to put on the uniform and go to fight in Iraq?

In more than a dozen interviews, Republicans in their teens and 20s offered a range of answers. Some have friends in the military in Iraq and are considering enlisting; others said they can better support the war by working politically in the United States; and still others said they think the military doesn't need them because the U.S. presence in Iraq is sufficient.

"Frankly, I want to be a politician. I'd like to survive to see that," said Vivian Lee, 17, a war supporter visiting the convention from Los Angeles,

Lee said she supports the war but would volunteer only if the United States faced a dire troop shortage or "if there's another Sept. 11."

"As long as there's a steady stream of volunteers, I don't see why I necessarily should volunteer," said Lee, who has a cousin deployed in the Middle East.

In an election season overwhelmed by memories of the Vietnam War, the U.S. military's newest war ranks supreme among the worries confronting much of Generation Y'ers. Iraq is their war.

"If there was a need presented, I would go," said Chris Cusmano, a 21-year-old member of the College Republicans organization from Rocky Point, N.Y. But he said he hasn't really considered volunteering.

At age 16, Chase Carpenter has.

"It's always in the back of my mind - to enlist," Carpenter, a self-described moderate Republican visiting Manhattan this week from Santa Monica, Calif., said Wednesday on the convention floor. He said he's torn over whether he'd join the military if he were 18.

Others said they could contribute on the home front.

"I physically probably couldn't do a whole lot" in Iraq, said Tiffanee Hokel, 18, of Webster City, Iowa, who called the war a moral imperative. She knows people posted in Iraq, but she didn't flinch when asked why she wouldn't go.

"I think I could do more here," Hokel said, adding that she's focusing on political action that supports the war and the troops.

"We don't have to be there physically to fight it," she said.

Similarly, 20-year-old Jeff Shafer, a University of Pennsylvania student, said vital work needs to be done in the United States. There are Republican policies to maintain and protect and an economy to sustain, Shafer said.

Then there's Paula Villescaz, a 15-year-old from Carmichael, Calif. who supports Bush and was all ears Wednesday afternoon at the GOP's Youth Convention in Madison Square Garden. She doesn't support the war, but she supports the troops and thinks the United States "needs to stay the course" now that it's immersed.

If Iraq is still a U.S. issue when she's 18, Villescaz added, she'll give serious thought to volunteering.

"I'm in college right now, but who knows?" said Matthew Vail, a 25-year-old from Huntsville, Ala., who works with Students for Bush. He said he might consider enlisting after he finishes his degree at the University of North Carolina, but not until then.

"The bug may get me after college," he said.

2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Okay, what are all the things you are "for" but don't take time to do? How about rehabbing crack whores in Mexico? That's gotta be easier than fighting insurgency in Iraq. When do you leave?

Some people are soldier-types, some are not. As a leftie, you should understand this... :D

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The difference here is that having your wishes(when that wish is for the war) carried out causes people fulfilling your wish to sometimes die, or be maimed for the rest of your life. The wish then is actually that other people would possibly die, but you yourself aren't willing to do it.

4. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's the difference between us. I think committing to war is unique. It is the most serious act a nation can undertake. The consequences in death and destruction are unavoidable. And that if the threat isn't so dire or the cause so compelling that you aren't willing to die, or have your loved ones die, you have no business advocating war.

5. losttexan

losttexan Contributing Member

if we were really fighting the SOBs who did 9-11 i think we would have no problem with recruitment but in everyones heart they realize that this has nothing to do with 9-11 even if they refuse to admit it (even to themselves)because of their political beliefs.

6. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

EXACTLY!!!

One of the main reasons I have much higher respect for George Bush Sr. than for Jr. is the elder served courageously in WWII, and Jr. was no less than a wimp in the Vietnam War.

#6 wnes, Jun 25, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2005
  7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

No offense, Mr. Smeltz, but we already know this, and have for some time now.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I really don't think anyone wishes for war, although I'm sure many people in here would disagree with me. There is a huge difference between supporting the war and wishing for war. Surely you understand that.

I'm sure young Democrats are against the war. If they feel so strongly about it, why aren't they over there acting a human shields? Do you support slaughtering whales? No? Then why don't you drop everything, go join PETA, and start chasing after whale ships in a rubber motor boat? Do you support the family of the missing girl in Aruba? Yes? Then why are you sitting here on your computer instead of over in Aruba helping to look for her?

Is it possible to support something you're not directly involved in? I thought it was but I guess I'm wrong.

9. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I will never support this war.

10. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

I think there are have been numerous examples of service men supporting the war. So there are certainly people who support the war and have signed up and there are people who support the war but have not. Just like there are people who don't support the war but still have signed up and people who don't support the war that have not.

Recruitment is down for some branches of the military (not all) but people are still signing up when they know they will probably be sent to Iraq. Not as many people are signing up but people are clearly still signing up.

This kind of talk is, IMO, propoganda. Just because some who support the war don't sign up doesn't mean no one does. You're just taking selected facts to feel better about your position.

BTW, Clinton avoided the vietnam war as well (by going to Russia!) and he sent troops into harms way as well. There was even a documentary on the History Channel that claimed Clinton deployed the U.S. military more times than any other president in History (clearly into situations not as involved as the Iraq or Gulf wars) but I didn't hear you complain about Clinton's lack of service.

11. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

If we were talking about young people drafted into the military against their will, I wouldn't argue with you about this.... BUT THAT IS NOT THE CASE.

People who join the military or the national guard know that they are subjected to being sent somewhere to fight. Obviously, people who joined after 9/11 know this abundantly.

My two nephews who were/are in the service post 9/11 come from Republican households.

12. langal

langal Contributing Member

While I do think I do think there is a small amount of hypocrisy in supporting GW's war aims and choosing not to enlist - it's not that big of a deal.

Draft-dodging, to me, would be a far more egregious offense for a war supporter.

Most of us (me definitely) are hypocrites on some level anyways. How many of us vote for tax hikes but try to lower our personal tax burdens?

13. AggieRocket

AggieRocket Contributing Member

I am vehemently against the war, as evidenced by all of my posts on the subject. That being said, I agree with our "conservative" posters on this one. Supporting the war and being willing to serve are mutually exclusive. For the sake of argument, let's just say that all of these kids are gutless cowards, like our President during Vietnam :) Gutless cowards are allowed to believe a cause even if they lack the courage to participate. During the Civil Right Movement of the 1960's, all Blacks supported the cause. However, not all Blacks were in the forefront. A lot of Black "commoners" were reluctant to be in the spotlight. Not everyone was as courageous as Rosa Parks or James Meredith. Same argument here. I don't support the war in Iraq, but for those who do, they have every right to support the war and be afraid. Let's face it. Being afraid of war and dying is human nature. If you ask me, these kids are just being rational kids.

14. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Not a good analogy, Aggie. Being reluctant to be in the spotlight has no resemblance to being cowardly shunning possible ultimate sacrifice for a "noble" cause one so ardently supports.

#14 wnes, Jun 25, 2005
  15. 111chase111

I think it's a great analogy. Being in the spotlight with regards to civil rights could very well have meant an increase in hostility and attacks (i.e. lynching) by white racists or even blacks that didn't want to break the status quo. MLK got killed over his "being in the spotlight". So, a black man with a family or a black woman with kids may totally support the civil rights movement but be afraid to participate openly for fear of getting killed.

There were plenty of white people (like Charlton Heston) who marched with black people during the Civil Rights movement. However, there were probably plenty of whites who sympathised (to all sorts of degrees) who didn't march because of the feared repercussions. While white people probably didn't have to fear death, they certainly had to face hostility from friends/family/co-workers and the possible loss of income from people who would no longer patronize their stores or by being fired.

You could have hated the Nazi's and believed in WWII but still not volunteered.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

wnes, what are some causes that you support and what are you doing (besides posting on a basketball website) to further them?

17. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

If you have problem with me posting anything political and controversial in D&D, you better take it to clutch and/or the moderators of this site. If they think I am out of bounds with the rules of D&D, they are free to ban me. Until then, I am at liberty to do what I think is my "privilege to speak out" on this section of the clutch BBS.

Sure there are plenty of causes I support, but nothing involving the immediate, grand-scale, and unnecessary death of human beings like the on-going War in Iraq.

18. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

You are stretching here. I believe while almost all blacks supported and sympathized the Civil Rights Movement, many probably felt they could have lived through the still very racist society of the 1950s and 60s without necessarily having to take drastic measures - sensing the country was moving in the right direction, albeit at slow pace. It's different, however, in the current situation, in that the military-avoiding War supporters would rather have someone else to die for them in a war that they deem absolutely necessary.

Having said that, I think the partisan jibe at Republicans in this article is somewhat unfair. IMO, there are probably just as many Democrats fitting to be taken a shot at for their equally hypocritical actions in the on-going War.

#18 wnes, Jun 25, 2005
  19. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Hehe, looking at the current overwhelming opposition to draft, I can't wait for draft to happen.

20. 111chase111

You "believe... many probably felt they could have lived through....." So you don't know you just believe. And that proves your point. Sorry. I don't buy it. It seems to me that blacks that supported Civil Rights but didn't march would "rather have someone else to die for them in a (movement) they deem absolutely necessary."

By the way, do you have to shout when trying to make a point? The way you discuss stuff seems very immature to me. That's why I asked (in another thread) how old you were.