1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

You watching the Blazers @ Rockets organisation?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, May 12, 2019.

1. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

This makes no sense.

Invisible Fan, Zboy, Mazulis and 9 others like this.
  2. smp

smp Member

I hope so. I’d like to see a competitive series over there. Maybe GS will get complacent like they did with the Clippers.

3. smp

smp Member

Read my post again. I said taking the high percentage shots in crunch time would have improved our chances but we would probably still lose anyway.

I’m not pretending about anything. You are pretending that OP is suggesting we adopt Portland’s offense.

JW86 and saleem like this.
  4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Nothing there that says crunch time in the OP.

All it says it we can use midrange to win some playoff games.

I would counter. Yeah you might beat the crappy teams with a suboptimal game plan. Not gonna beat the Warriors that way. Not unless you have just as good or better shooting. But no one does.

5. JW86

JW86 Member

Diversifying your offense is always better and if you had watched the Blazers game 7, you would’ve known I was talking about crunch time specifically. Tnx @smp, at least you read the OP and understand indeed I’m not suggesting we play like Blazers.

6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

If we are diversifying to get more open 3s and better looks in the lane, sure.

Unless this roster is overhauled, no one but CP3 should be looking for more midrange.

7. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You say this as though it's a fact, but it isn't. If your team has a bunch of different plays that generate a wide range of PPP, there's value in removing the low ones, obviously. But at what point do you stop? You can't remove all plays except your highest one, and run that every possession. So you have to realize there is a trade off here. It becomes an optimization problem - how many plays do you need, how much benefit do you gain from adding a lower efficiency play, how many plays is too little, etc.

My point is this is a very complicated issue with a million different factors. You're really trivializing it by saying something like "diversifying your offense is always better." This is a debatable subject, and you're insulting anyone who doesn't agree with you by suggesting it's not.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

How would you define crunch time in this game?

9. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Did you take a peek at his pick and roll defense last night, because BUDDY.

10. smp

smp Member

Alright. You guys win. The offense is perfect. We should just do exactly the same thing next year. No need to try anything new. No need to listen to someone like LeBron who actually beat the team we are trying to beat. Just keep avoiding midrange shots and everything will be just fine.

11. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

What’s funny is fundamentally when Lebron best the warriors (which was a fluke by the way) he played a lot like the rockets.

Slowed the pace down played a ton of iso be it him or Irving and had smith and others ready to shoot open kick out threes.

That’s how u beat the warriors.

The rockets are closer than any team at beating GS.

The offense isn’t the problem, rebounding and discipline with the ball with smarter clock management is what this team needs.

Also a little luck.

All you have to do is go listen to the warriors after last night.

They all know how much easier it is playing Portland than Houston.

They didn’t get those kind of looks and never scored like that in any game against us all year.

U have to switch on them period it works but the team as a whole has to rebound not just Clint but the whole team.

And harden has to be better down the stretch.

But houston would be stupid to blow it up.

Get jimmy butler? Def if u can

Make upgrades around the core of you cant get JB? Has to happen but we’re the closet team to GS and the warriors know it.

I’d rather watch this team try then just fold and tank and hope to be in the position we’re in 7-8 years from now.

We got James Freakin Harden for all the hate the guy is absolutely fantastic and he can be the best player on a championship team he showed that last year and he showed it again this year. We’re losing to a better team maybe the best ever but I got more faith in harden then Zion or whoever young player you guys think is the next big thing.

What’s AD done in 8 years? How has Kawhi done since he became the true franchise guy in SA? And now Toronto? I haven’t seen any rings for either guy. I haven’t seen them beat GS.

Only guy who has a chance to pass Harden up this year and maybe dethrone the warriors is Giannis and I have my doubts but I also think he could do it because like houston last year they have a strong team and an mvp level player.

But I still put there odds to beat GS lower than 15%. I doubt they get more then 2 games and that’s no small feat to do but still we’re not happy why should the bucks.

ParaSolid, Patience, RayRay10 and 2 others like this.
  12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Ok - so you agree with the iriginal point of the thread and think we should copy the Blazers???

You're NOT beating them that way!!!

13. smp

smp Member

I assume the response is to me. I agree with most of what you are saying. I wouldn’t trade Harden for Zion or any other potential star. Harden is already a star. The other guys may or me not be. It’s unlikely any of them will ever be as good as Harden.

I also think we should try to reload with Harden again. I would have everyone else on the chopping block though. Any package that could get me a legit 2nd all star I would probably take.

If we are only looking to tweak the roster then I think our system also needs to be tweaked. It isn’t good enough to beat GS. We have proven that. We can point to this circumstance or that but the reality is they have knocked us out multiple times. It isn’t a fluke at this point.

14. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

When nobody has beat them and only we have come close, what is the system that IS good enough to beat them?

Remlap likes this.
  15. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I’m with you on if we can reload around harden and get him a true star or just Allstar that’s under 30, do it.

But if not our best shot is to tinker with what we got and see if we can turn guys like shumpart or green into marginally better players that push them over the edge.

But I would love to see Morey really swing for the fence and go get a star like jimmy butler even if it does lose us someone like Gordon and tucker.

I love tucker but star power and talent ultimately win not grinder guys like tucker.

Tucker is great if you have harden butler and cp3 but if ur missing butler give up tucker and then figure out how to find him later.

Get the star power first.

I personally think harden butler and cp3 is good enough to win a chip with whoever u put around them and I’m confident that Morey will find guys that will be solid around them maybe even great in their roles.

One thing Morey is great at is finding guys that fit and excel around harden and whoever else we have that is big time.

I think cp3 is fine he’s still a solid 15//8/5 guy with toughness and defense and can up his play to top 10 status in spurts when it matters I don’t think that will change going forward.

I’d like him to shoot better like he’s done besides this year and I think he will.

Basically if we get 15//8 /6 with him shooting 45/37/90 then he’s fine as long as he’s healthy in the playoffs.

Butler will be great here.

I think he can be a 22/5/5 guy with ease with elite D playing with harden and Paul. He’ll get plenty of looks we’re he gets to start the offense and I think harden will gladly give him the ball and let him do his thing.

That’s a plus in our recruitment for jimmy.

Harden can bring his usage down his scoring will prob drop to 28-30 his assist to 6-7 and his rebounds will still be 6-7 a game. Thats still mvp level play. I think having jimmy would actually help harden on offense.

lilbird20 and smp like this.
  16. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

I have to admit that I only saw a little bit of the game in a dive bar in Chicago surrounded by GS fans. I looked at the box score this morning and saw 16 rebounds and thought, “man, that would’ve been nice to have”

17. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

I'm thinkin a rebounder and/or an extra ALL Star was the problem not named Capela was the problem against a team loaded with 4 all stars..two of which might be the best shooters to ever play the game

18. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Yeah I think just because 3s and shots at the rim are GENERALLY the best shots doesn't mean that they're ALWAYS the best shots -- it depends, no?

19. Pandaemonaeon

Pandaemonaeon Member

Kyrie beat the Warriors, and he did it with (surprise surprise) an iso 3. Much like Steph and Klay eliminated us with clutch threes.

Mr. Space City and Blurr#7 like this.
  20. smp

smp Member

I guess we should have 4 championships then. Because lord knows we like to shoot iso 3’s.