1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao's Summer Plans

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Wooderson, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

So, is Yao done with international competition for China now? I remember reading that he viewed the Olympics as his "retirement," but has the Chinese Basketball Association weighed in on the matter? Are they expecting the big fella to play in anything?

I really hope not. I'd love to see what Yao would look like as a player with an actual offseason of rest.

2. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Ya I think it would really help him if he had summers off. I don't think China will let him take it easy. They'll probably force him to play in some dumb Asian championship games. China's cruel like that.

3. boiler

boiler Member

If that happens, I want Yao to work on his mid range jumpers, shoot 1000 jumpers every day, like Kobe used to do. I still have hope that he can get the shoot touch back.

4. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

At this point in his career can't Yao just say, "I'm going to do what I want."?

If China forces Yao to play basketball this summer, he should be man enough to say no!

5. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

Yeah, it's easy for us to say that, but their government isn't as accomodating to their peoples wishes at times. Take for example that dude that used to play for the Lakers - he was ostracized by their government when he refused to play (can't think of his name right now).

Granted - this is Yao, and he is a much bigger deal. They let his parents and his wife both move over here and establish lives over here, so it isn't as closed off as it once was. The problem I see is that they can still push certain buttons: loyalty, honor and committment. I'm hoping that Yao can show his resume and say "It's someone else's turn now."

He's earned it, that's for sure.

6. henGoOink

henGoOink Member

he needs the rest

7. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

wang zhizhi? he was with the mavs at the time, i believe.

8. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

Just to let you know, China recently replaced their basketball departmant official. The person in charge now is a diehard old-school communist, who seems to believe personal interest is nothing compared to collective interest. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Yao's forced to play meaningless asian games this summer.

9. ikarus

ikarus Rookie

Stop this kind of bull****s! It is as idiotic as the the one saying Chinese government takes half of his salary. That's just dumb anti-commie crap.

Yao WANTS to play for CHINA. He may not be very happy with playing in some small matches, but he is not against it.

Chinese gov can do nothing about YAO. What makes you think they can force Yao to play? Even a rapist like Kobe wants to play for USA and takes it as an honor. Why wouldn't a good man Yao want to play for his team?

10. joesr

joesr Member

Yeah let Yi (Nets) and Yue (Lakers) take their turn.

11. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

OK, angry guy - like I pointed out before Yao did say that he considered the Olympics as his swansong from international competition. Have you heard anything since then that contradicts what he said (either from himself or others)? I'm hoping that he is done with it because I care more about NBA ball than international.

12. ikarus

ikarus Rookie

Enlighten me: how is that "diehard old-school communist" going to force Yao to play games Yao doesn't want to play? Just show us your imagination.

13. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Because it's 2009, a non Olympic year. :rolleyes:

14. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

That's the guy! Pretty sad that I've already forgotten his name. He was the 'next big thing' for a little while there.

15. ikarus

ikarus Rookie

Why would rapist Kobe want to play for team USA? Why would cheater Wade want to play for USA? Why would King James want to play for USA? Why is that? There must be something good with playing for your national team. Otherwise, you ccouldn't imagine that street rats, criminals and kings all want to play their national team.

16. ikarus

ikarus Rookie

Yao did say it? or you made it up? Just list the source of Yao saying what you claimed he said.

17. ikarus

ikarus Rookie

So was Stromile the dunker. Just forget that kind of players. They are no good at all.

18. chineuro

chineuro Member

I think he can rest this Summer, and even from now on.........

19. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

Ha! You quoted me twice in back to back posts. You need to calm down a bit here, dude.

Sadly, I did not keep any of the links to the quotes that we heard during the Olympics and following. I don't have a link for you, and I'm so, so sorry about that. Of course, this may explain the inquisitive nature of my original post where I was asking if anyone had heard anything about Yao's summer plans. That's what people do when they are looking for information sometimes - they ask. It's not a terrible thing.

This obviously has struck a raw nerve with you. I honestly don't care why that is, but since you do seem to be so impassioned by the question let me ask you directly - have you heard anything about Yao playing international ball in the offseason, or is he taking one off?

20. yl042557

yl042557 Member

I know this is totally irrelavent to what's going on to our rockets now, but the thing about Wang is he was still in military service when he played in Mavs. The rank is colonel or something close. You don't mess with military authorities, no matter where. Wang was doomed the moment he decided to disobey the orders.