1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao's minutes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lovemachine2000, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Lovemachine2000

While I am ecstatic with the Rockets' 2-0 start, I can't help getting worried about the high minutes Yao has logged. Yao played 38 minutes against Memphis and 41 against Dallas. I understand that T-Mac is currently not 100% and the team needs increased output from Yao, but I'd prefer to see Yao's minutes lowered to 33 or so per game. The only situations Yao should play 40+ are games with overtime involved and playoff games.

Maybe I am worrying a bit too much. But hopefully this situation is only short-term. Yao, Artest and the rest of the crew has inspired us in the last two nights, I'd hate for Yao to suffer an injury because of overworking himself.

2. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

if this goes on till the all-star break, yao is not gonna be healthy for the playoffs.

3. BleedsRocketRed

As much as I hate to admit it, this is making me a little worried as well.

4. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

It was my understanding that he'll be practicing significantly less. Pretty much the same effect as reducing playing time, except you still get the production and he's fresher for games.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yao can handle the game minutes, just limit his practice minutes.

DD

6. leisure_cc

leisure_cc Member

i totally agree with you! especially Yao, it's easy to get injury in such a long time per match. adalman should understand how to use Yao for getting the great contribution ;)

7. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

^^true, but in practice you don't have punks like josh howard intentionally trying to trip you.

8. riverage

riverage Member

we need mutombo!

9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

this has to be due to the lack of size when he comes out. there is no other center on the team. if deke can't play a whole season then i think its time we look elsewhere.

10. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Yao has a max contract, he should be expected to play like a max player for 40 mins. Like others said, limit his practice.

11. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

we do need dekembe.

But, note that his Q4 minutes were for defense mostly. Brooks and Artest took care of the offense. Yao was there to protect the paint.

12. WNBA

WNBA Member

we need try out Dorsey. That guy is a big body with long arms.

13. Lovemachine2000

I certainly hope you guys are right, but I have a feeling that if we have a legitimate backup center, Yao will be immediately spared from playing 40-minute nights. Surely Morey is thinking that himself.

14. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

not every team has a legit big man. landry/scola combo should be tried no? adelman hasn't tried that combo yet. that was a lethal combo last yr b/c both can score and hit the mid-range.

15. DPballer

DPballer Member

Don't worry... once Battier comes back and T-Mac gets healthier, we are going to be blowing out so many teams that Yao won't have to play the entire 4th quarter at the least.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I wouldn't worry about it too much. They needed Yao and his big minutes tonight. It will not continue and his per game minutes will be reduced from last year. Without Yao's 30/13, the Rockets don't beat the Mavs. Blame his 41 minutes on the effortless 19 points he scored in the 1st half. When Tracy is fully healthy, he will carry the load and Yao will be the one sitting out 4th quarters. Plus, if the Rockets stay healthy, there will be plenty of blowout wins where Yao's minutes will be in the 20s.

17. chineseBboy0821

u r right,Yao need more time for relaxing! :rolleyes:

18. Lovemachine2000

That's really not a sound argument. There are dozens of max contract players out there, but I don't even see 5 who would average 40 minutes per game.

The more important question is how to maximize Yao's abilities to win games and playoff series. To me, having Yao play 33 minutes lowers his chances for a serious injury, thus giving us the best chance to win during the post season.

19. Lovemachine2000

Point well taken.

Amen to both.

20. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Yao log heavy minutes against the griz, as the griz are big.
    Yao log heavy minutes agianst the mavs, as landry and scola got into foul trouble.

You will see less minutes for yao, when rox plays the thunders. I guess somewhere near 30 min.