1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao needs....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Purvis2Short, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Purvis2Short

Purvis2Short Member

to be less outspoken and work on his defense. Now that his english has gotten better, he has been outspoken in the media and poor usage of grammar has caused more harm than good since his quotes are probably taken out of context. Is it me or has his defensive instincts have declined from last year. He wasn't great on defense or bad, he was mediocre. Lately, it has become sad that he has to be taken out late in the 4th quarter because the liability he imposes on the team. He is indeed our greatest weapon on the offensive end but to be so tall and lack basic fundamentals is either his fault or the coaches. Maybe his stature has much to do with it because I have no idea how it feels to be 7'5. It does seem that he should have better instinct during the pick and roles and defensive rebounding.......I'm not bashing Yao,...I wouldn't trade him for anyone but who would you place the blame on him not doing basic fundamentals as a professional basketball player.....please discuss...

2. mozart123

mozart123 Rookie

7'6 has its limitations, and big players in general are not great defenders of the Pick and Roll.

3. RocketsHero

RocketsHero Member

it is now or never. yao has to lead the team

4. redao

redao Member

Yao needs stamina. that's all.

5. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

to STFU and play like a superstar. :mad:

When he can carry a team like a max player, he will get his due respect.

6. mozart123

mozart123 Rookie

When you give him the ball, he can be effective.

he needs to get aleast 15-18 shots a game, even if he forces some and atleast 7 ft attempts per game.

yao has limitations, he will be a high turnover guy around 2.5-3 a game because of his lack of mobility but he is highly effective at scoring and finding him teamates when doubled, THEY need to go through Yao, no one individual can stop him.

7. joesr

joesr Member

Hate!

One he isnt a max player.

Two he is a rare edition of 7'6" that has more limitations then that of a 7 footer.

Three, he has been playing Chinese ball his whole life with the exception of 6 years. Case being he is used to the CBA style of gaming vs the NBA. He has already picked up a lot but he will be and forever more a soft player. He can make it happen but he wont be rough. He might be the teams scoring leader but he needs a vocal leader. Battier failed at it. Rafer failed at it. Tmac hasnt attempted it. Scola would be in the same boat as him ans Deke just doesnt hit the floor enough. Everyone else is just oh well.

Four, if Tmac was or is our supposed team leader why is it now he has to pick up the slack *heh heh, slack*. He has already been giving it his all playing hurt after his surgery only missing 2 (or 3) games.

Tmac makes what 5 almost 6 million more then Yao right now? Next year is gonna be almost 8 million. Wouldnt that mean Tmac is the max player on this team. The superstar?

Honestly, even with Yao being my favorite player, I wouldnt consider him a superstar player. Definitely a top caliber All Star player. He could if he really tried to but you dont see him taking over the game in 4th quarters. He is clutch only about half the time when it counts.

He is what he is. A extremely tall breed who is not that athletic (well for his size he would probably be considered extremely athletic but not a NBA C's caliber) but can nail shots from midrange inward at a consistent and high percentage. He is someone who cant jump but can deter most would be penetrating players from his size and hands up.

Lets face it, he is who he is. He has adjusted his game each year but at a time like this everyone is just wtf is happening.

8. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

Hate is too strong of a word. I don't hate Yao.

BTW, Yao is a max player according to ESPN.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?id=2147660

The bottomline is that Yao got paid a lot of money to carry this team. The same old excuse that he was not brought up to play in the NBA is gettting old fast.

Here is a message for Yao: cowboy up and play like a franchise player.

9. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

Yao needs to rid himself of TSlack. Whether it is moving to a different team in 2010 or making sure TSlack isn't a Rocket, that's his only chance at a championship.

10. killer instinct

YAO should be making all the money because he's better now and maybe we should all shut up.

11. henGoOink

henGoOink Member

he is doing good..

12. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

A, Yao needs to step up, it's his team, it's all on him, he cannot really blame anyone. He can make any1, inlcluding tmac, artest, and coach A to adjust to him if he demands

B, Yao is underpaid, even from pure bball point of view, he's in the top 10 of the MVP race last week.

13. mozart123

mozart123 Rookie

When Marbury gets paid 20 million and Odom gets paid close to 15 mil, Yao is definetely underpaid, but in terms of endorsements and recognition he is up there.

14. tested911

tested911 Member

Yao needs certain skills he cannot achieve because of his height.. He's 7'6 and basically this is the best you will see of Yao.. He can't get more crafty because he would need to be quicker which he can't. Poor big fella.. but then again he's getting paid millions to play basketball lol

15. MandM's

MandM's Member

Limitations my butt.

the guy has skills and needs the ball

he should take 25 shots a game....but when tslack and ron are on the floor he gets a lot less. Result...no rythm

we need to shop mcgrady and have a long sit down with artest. points must feed yao constantly

not enough balls to go around and no rythm is established. and yao is a player that needs rythm and repititions

16. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

The way I see it, the only thing Yao needs to do now is b**** slap Tmac and Ron too(if he does not fall in line). We all saw that mini winning streak that led by Yao. Those were some of the more enjoyable games I've ever watched.

Yao needs to recognize that this is his team, after 6, 7 years on this team, it's time for you to take the leadership role without asking. I just have this message for Yao.

"This is my team and we are going to play ball my way, and the game plan runs through me, anyone who objects, don't let the door hit your behind when you leave. If management refuses to cooperate, please trade me ASAP"

17. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Yao didn't even get mad when Andre Uglydala posterized him what makes you think he'll b-slap Tmac and Ron?

18. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

Do you honestly think that by giving Yao 25 shots a game, Houston Rockets will be a better team?

Yao doesn't need the ball to be effective. He does need balls to be more of a physical presence inside.

In fact, I'd much rather Yao getting 20 boards a game over 20 points a game.

19. 2rings

2rings Member

20 points, 10 rebounds, 1.5 block shots, 54% FG, 86% FT; ask any GM if they wouldn't give their left and right arm for that out of their center

20. JKillaD23

JKillaD23 Member

Oh man your just a plain hater its not even funny anymore :( without mcgrady where would this team be the past years. This is the first time we had a depth on this team. We all say that McGrady can carry the team without Yao and its crazy how the team kinda plays better without him, but without McGrady we saw what happened