1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao needs more face up game.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MrButtocks, Jun 14, 2006.

1. happyricky

happyricky Contributing Member

Sorry, but there should be some misunderstand. They don't want to change Yao's post game , which doesn't necessarilly they don't want him to improve. You don't want Yao to become another B.Miller, do you ? :)

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I can't speak for most posters. If anyone thinks Yao shouldn't work on various facets of his game, then they are wrong. I'm saying that this summer Yao should focus primarily on perfecting low post domination and adding a face up jumpshot. Working on his left hand is also something I brought up over a year ago.

declan, if you think I'm "stuck" on Yao being 7'6, fine. If being 7'6 meant "end discussion", I wouldn't have posted more after making the statement. Of course Yao has to be his own player. Duh! He's blazing a trail nobody has walked yet. No one knows how far he will go or how good a player he will be. But none of the NBA greats, Dream included, perfected all of their skills in one summer and neither will Yao. Especially since his ability to workout this summer is limited by the foot surgery. That said, I stand by the statement Yao's offensive moves will never be as diverse as Dream's. I hope to be wrong but doubt it. Yao's height plus his skills offer him opportunities to do things no other player has done before; but it also limits him. In Yao's case, the opportunities far exceed the limits.

3. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I can't believe people are so opposed to the idea of expanding Yao's game. I can definitely understand people wanting Yao to perfect his post play first, but some are just unreasonable.

I clearly said Yao's game should be modeled after Duncan's. Yet people say, "You want him to be like Dirk Nowitski? You want him to play like Brad Miller?" Does Duncan's game remotely resemble Dirk's or Miller's? Because he's known as one of the most dominant post players ever.

4. imoffg33

imoffg33 Member

i love how much yao has progressed, but saying what yao should do and shouldnt do is kind of out of his hands. thats like saying, man i love ryan bowen but i he should do this and that to become lebron james. newsflash sportsfan, its not going to happen

5. Rockets Dynasty

We have a 7-5 3/4 barefoot (2.28m) 315 pound 7-6 wingspan (now) GIANT in the middle that can bench over 300 pounds on his workouts.

He has legs like TREE TRUNKS.

He has skills, low post moves, a soft touch, a high b-ball IQ, he's an outstanding foul shooter, he's an excellent passer, he has now learned how to master the double team, he creats open shot after open shot.

He has learned how to go against the double, he punishes anyone in single coverage NO ONE can even dream about guarding him straight up and not being dominated.

Dude needs to be down low PUNISHING people. Who cares about the new rules changes so he has to go against TOUGHER odds than any other C ever saw.

So what? Yao has it in him, he's just scratched the surface of his ability. He needs to be down low with his back to the basket, or on the pick and roll mainly.

Duncan is great but he's no Yao down low.

6. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Then I agree with you, and just disagree with a couple of your posts. The tricky thing about being here is always how a thread starts and then what's being discussed a couple of pages later.

In context of Mr. Buttocks' original post I'm sort of in the middle between his perspective and yours.

But I do think the original debate about how Yao should be utilized - not what he should work on - is a national story every year for at least the last 3 - and here the guys that originally posted their thoughts here rarely, if ever post in the GARM these days.

It's as if it's become a Rudy v. JVG thing here, but the bigger question is what can Yao do now. With his expected improvement over 4 years, what seems diminished? A few things already mentioned, and our offense along with it.

As you said, Yao is unique and there are no adequate comparisons. The only thing I'd change is a small fraction of what JVG's been doing offensively.

The real debate still is about "what's Yao going to do?"

It is up to Yao at this point. There are no Dream comparisons, however those that watched Olajuwon from his early days of UH and his rookie season remember Fitch having a stroke anytime Dream took an open shot from 14' out until late in the season when he was fine with it.

In college that was not Olajuwon's strongsuit. Conversely, it was Yao's game before he got here.

Now when he gets out to 12' he's not looking to shoot even if he's open and he doesn't hit those shots with regularity. I don't believe that's necessarily JVG's fault, but somebody has gotten too far into Yao's head.

I fear Morey because if you look at the last 2 years, you really don't want Yao taking a face-up shot from 15'. But I do believe the lack of it is part of what's wrong with the other 13 "scrubs".

My minority opinion. Peace, out.

7. sccdct34

sccdct34 Member

it also says that no matter what people say DALLAS' DEFENSE STILL SUX...they cannot stop any post player unless he is double teamed...when they dont double shaq they either foul him or he dunks it all over em.....im tired of hearing about dallas and their good defense.....