1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

YAO MING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Doc Rocket, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Doc Rocket

Doc Rocket Contributing Member

Sorry for the headline but since this is my last post regarding Yao, I figured just go ahead with the exclamation points!

Here's my take and I REALLY need to clear my head about this - Yao Ming is a very good basketball player...period!

Now, when judging Yao, let's take things into consideration.

- Have you EVER seena 7'6" guy that can actually play? EVER? I mean, every year we see some 7'4" guy from TRANSYLVANIA that is going to be the next great one! Where are they? What about the Chris Kaman's or the Pavel Podkolzine's or the Curtis Borchardt's or even the Tyson Chandler's or the Eddy Curry's? See, I think everyone has gotten a taste of Yao and expect him to do it every night. Relax...I'm one of them.

But I understand Yao a little, I think. Have you ever noticed that he barely raises his head or eyebrows when rejecting someone? Have you ever noticed that he always looks down after he makes a great play? Have you ever noticed that he's almost embarrassed over the attention? Why? Because he's a humble, shy person. Because of 22 years embedded into him!

Why doesn't he play SMASHMOUTH basketball? Because of 22 years embedded into him!

Why doesn't he taunt the other players? Because of 22 years embedded into him!

Why doesn't he WANT to be the highest paid? Because of 22 years embedded into him!

Why doesn't he want to be the most dominant individual player ni the game? Because of 22 years embedded into him!

Why does he try to fit into a team concept regardless of his prowess? Why did he pass out of double teams in China even though the guy guarding him was 6'5"? Why is he who he is??
    .......Because of 22 years embedded into him!

He didn't play USA basketball. He didn't grow up in our culture? Believe it or not, he may take a while to become the man he needs to be. God forbid he starts clicking in 3 MORE years from now....OMG - HE'LL BE FREAKING 27 and only have 10 -12 years left after that!! OMG - OMG - OMG!!!

See, the high schoolers now play street ball, college ball sucks, the NBA has consistency like a backed up colon - things don't come out right. Detroit was the NBA champs? Minnesota and GARNETT suck this bad? Yao i finding his way. I'm sure having Grumpy jump down his throat makes him put more pressure on himself than ever. He may be struggling because of his predispostion of trying so hard.

Does Yao deserve the MAX? HELL YES!! A guy that you invest in, a guy that is a good teammate, a guy who WILL grow into a great player (IMHO), a guy who still commands doubles, gets you 20/8 a night, etc...

Granted now, he needs to work on hand strength, foot speed, and basic aggression. but remember HE'S NOT 7'0"!! He's 7 - FREAKING - 6 and whether it be Manute, Bradley, Muhresan, etc...they have never faired too well. Let's cut him some slack and enjoy him as he progresses.

Is he there yet? No..but why does he have to be right now? I've never felt more confident that someone will 'GET IT' than I do of Yao Ming. But, I don't mind if he doesn't get it RIGHT NOW! I've got time to wait. It's not like I won't be a fan in four years. My 2 franchise guys are in the ir early 20's - we've got all the time in the world.

BTW - here's a Yao Ming trade IDEA..........AAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

crap i thought i was in for insider info:p

3. wink2cat

wink2cat Contributing Member

great post, my sentiments exactly.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It is, he's being traded:

5. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Haha, I really thought you were gonna tell us Yao had been traded. Talk about the bbs coming to it's knees..

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

dude, i wouldn't taunt him.

[​IMG]

7. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Wow, what a big YOF you are.;)

Like you, I hve all the confidence in him as well, but just not sure if he will get there under JVG. The way how he is used does impact his learning curve, you know.

8. shawn786

shawn786 Member

When the Doc posts everyone listens! Nice post Doc!

9. big11

big11 Contributing Member

10. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

Wow! I just thought Yao was traded! What a surprise!

11. Win

Win Contributing Member

Nice post Doc. It nicely summs up my feelings on the issue and I dare say many others out there in 'Clutchland'. Wouldn't it be nice to read a game thread and it actually be about the game and not all the back and forth hyperbole over whether Yao is a piece of trash and should be traded v he is god.

12. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Finally a positive Yao post I could relate to. All we have to do is wait, let him get used to the NBA let the NBA get used to him.

13. fa7999

fa7999 Member

A YOF, a troll, a ...... you name it.;)

14. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

WARNING (watch out if you are at work)

Doc just offered the haters, and the YOFs who want Yao traded, a nice, ice cold can of...

image removed by an Administrator

15. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

beautiful, just beautiful.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

and there go our image posting priviliges again.

17. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

Yao's Got Intangibles

I can think of at least five positive intangibles about Yao.

1. He's never been accused of rape
    2. He's never been accused of assault
    3. He's not the father of twelve children
    4. He's never been caught at a nudie bar
    5. He's had more productive seasons with the Rox than, say, Eddie Griffin

nuf said.

:p

theSAGE

18. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

so u agree that JVG needs to be fired? ;)

19. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Hat off to Doc.

I am glad that one of the most respected members on this board still believe in Yao.

#19 RocketForever, Jan 18, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  20. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

Great post DOC...:D

-EDIT- Can we make this a sticky?? Yes, I'm serious