1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming will depart from Shanghai to Houston tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CRC, Oct 4, 2003.

1. CRC

CRC Member

Yao just posted on his BBS that he will depart from shanghai to Houston tomorrow. He has been busy packing the past few days.

He is currently in an internet cafe playing games.

2. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

3. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

He's leaving tomorrow. I thought he would spend some time with his girlfriend...

...nevermind.

4. CRC

CRC Member

Also, the following are quotes from David Aldridge on ESPN.com:

Chris, Phoenix: When will Yao Ming attend training camp considering he is playing for China in the Olympic Qualifiers? Wont he be behing learnign JVG's play schemes

David Aldridge: I was told that Yao will be in camp around the 6th or 7th next week. So he won't miss too much. At this point, I think the kid needs a week off more than running up and down the floor. He's in shape.

5. Sir Geving

Sir Geving Contributing Member

Great.
    I'm looking forward to it.

6. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

The Rockets have camp thru Sunday and then game in Portland on Tues.

Looks like Yao will have time to drop off his stuff in Houston and then catch a plane back out West again.

They could just have him fly straight from China to Portland!

7. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

I doubt if he's gonna play the first pre-season game, JVG know that kid needs some rest.

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I doubt they'll make him practice all that much even for at least a week. I would imagine they would rather him just sit and watch the way JVG is running things so he is at least mentally caught up on what's going on. He obviously needs at least a little rest before they start working him.

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Actually, Van Gundy said he will not allow any of his players excuses for fatigue even if it came from jet lag and travel. I would fully expect Yao to start working out the minute he walks into camp.

10. Grydian

Grydian Member

and what bbs would this be. is it in english?

11. neXXes

neXXes Member

His official BBS, in Chinese.

12. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Yao is (supposably) going to be the center of JVG's new offense, you think he's gonna let him off easy? He's gonna be looking back on his time with the Chinese National team with fond memories of rest and relaxation...

;)

13. CRC

CRC Member

I think Yao should have some time to rest & recharge himself... but everyone will kill him if he does that right now. :D

14. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

Hey if anyone knows his flight number and where he is arriving I would like to know.

15. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

According to channel 13 tonight, Yao will arrive in Houston tomorrow and have his first practice on Monday.

16. CRC

CRC Member

From rockets.com:

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Got_Yao-85697-34.html

Got Yao?
    by Trevor Mitchell, rockets.com

October 4, 2003 - The Houston Rockets continued their preseason training camp today in Galveston, Texas. The team had another solid workout, and is beginning to take the initial steps under Head Coach Jeff Van Gundy.
    While the Rockets continue to adapt to the numerous offseason changes, there is still one member of the squad obviously missing from camp. Similar to last season, Rockets starting center Yao Ming will be late reporting to camp because of his Chinese National Basketball team commitments. The 7-6 center is expected sometime on Sunday and scheduled to practice Monday morning. Van Gundy does wish his big man could be in camp sooner, but is not going to cry over spilled milk

"There is nothing we can do about that," said Van Gundy. "A lot of things happen in pro sports that you just have to deal with. He¡¦ll be fine once he gets here."

Last season Yao attracted an unprecedented amount of media attention being the first foreign-born player to be chosen with the first overall pick in the draft. During Yao¡¦s sophomore season, it appears that Cleveland Cavaliers rookie LeBron James will have to deal with most of the media hype. But that does not mean that Van Gundy does not have a plan for protecting his prize center.

"The only thing that I want to teach him is to say no," said the Rockets coach. "Say no to whatever it is that gets in his way. When he goes out it is going to draw attention, but that is the price of fame. What I¡¦m more concerned with is how he organizes his time so he can maximize his rest-up opportunities."

Once Yao does arrive, he will have to quickly adapt to his new surroundings. The Rockets tip off their exhibition schedule Tuesday night against the Portland Trail Blazers. Van Gundy is not thrilled about the starting the preseason games immediately after a brief training camp, but concedes that it does provide a good starting point to begin game evaluations of his players.

"It will be interesting to see how this group deals with what happens," Van Gundy said. "We¡¦ve been in the lottery four straight years, so now what? Hopefully we¡¦ll respond well. Losing has an unbelievable either negative or positive effect. Negatively you can become resigned to your fate, but positively you can be more urgent and hungry. I just hope we¡¦re the latter."

17. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

So after all the predictions of doom and gloom, Yao is only missing three days of training camp.

I'll take that.

18. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Jeff... wanna go to the airport!? LOL :D

19. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Yao will miss tomorrow as well. Thats 4 out of 5 days he'll miss. Theres 2 practices a day. Yao will end up missing 8 training camp practices out of 10.

20. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

Okay, I thought Thursday was media day, no practices. So that's just fri, sat, and sun. Good point though about the two a days.

Another way to look at it is this: including media day, there are 28 days of training camp / pre-season before the first regular season game. Yao will be here for 24 of those days. He'll be here for all the pre-season games. (still unclear if he'll play on tue). I think that the team practices between pre-season games, so Yao will have all of that under his belt as well.

Granted, Galveston is important, and of course I'd love to have Yao here for every second. All I'm saying is that in the grand scheme of things, this isn't that bad.

A couple of months ago, there were serious fears that Yao would miss a sizable chunk of the pre-season and that it wouldn't be much better than last year. This is much, much, much better than last year.

I guess today I'm in a "half-full" kinda mood . . .;)