1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

YAO Fans

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Keiser, Mar 15, 2005.

1. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

maybe you are right. i do not know, I know alot of great White sporters. just imo if i look around(in every sport that i know) black people are more athletic. But Maybe that is coinsidance

2. arno_ed

If somebody doesn't know he says a term somebody else doesn't like i think it is overreacting if the other starts calling him racist(what i have seen happening a coupl of times). Ofcourse if somebody explains to him that he doesn't like the term, he should not continue with saying it. Altough i think that some people are offended to soon. I was here during the chinaman debate. That was IMHO a case of overreacting. I can understand if people do not like being called Chinaman. But alot of people started calling Kerr a racist even though they did not know if he intended it that way. And that is wrong. I have seen alot of people on this board getting ,ad at somenody because they called him a racist even though the guy didn't mean the comment to be harmfull. IMO people should first ask how the person means his comments, and not imediatly start saying that the other is a racist.

3. arno_ed

I understand what you are saying. and i agree with most of it. but imo why should anybody be bothered by the fact that someone make a comment about the culture that is not entirely true. If that persons thinks it, who cares. it doesn't effect me so i do not care. Ofcourse you can tell the other person that it is not true that all chinese are passive(i do not think that chinese are passive, i always thought that honor and respect are very importend in the chinese culture and i really respect that, and i want my culture would be more like that, but maybe it is a stereotype and them i'm sorry). for example. Í'm tall 6"7 and from holland. Because of that whenever i get to a foreign border they check me for drugs. and when anywhere were people are frisked(Spelling) they check me for weapons or drugs. I do not mind maybe it is racisme because om my height and my nationality, but i do not have weapons and i do not sell or use drugs, so i do not care if they look for it.
    I just think that people are offended to quick. And then overreact. I think that you should always treat people with with respect. But if anybody doesn't know the other doesn't like the terms he uses the other should not overreact and just tell him he would preffer a different term, and not imediatly call him a racist.

IMO when somebody says that the officials do not call a foul on Yao because he is a chinees he is overreacting, because that just isn't true. And that person wants to see the racisme, and that is not good.

p.s. funny story about being checked for drugs.\
    when my parents just got a new dog a couple of years ago i always had dog coockies with me. So at one time i went to a club, and the guard checked me for drugs, and he fellt the coockies so he asked
    "what are that"
    i replied
    "those are dog coockies, my parents just got a new dog and i always carry....."
    "sure show them to me"
    so i showed him the coockies
    he looked shocked and sayd"but those ARE dog cockies"
    "Yeah i told you didn't i:rolleyes: "

4. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ah yes, it is so easy to see why Fatty would be offended by the lable of privilege and superiority (historically) that is "white." Every day it does nothing but serve to tell him how special, smart, and better he is. It reminds him that the world has been constructed around making his life easier and better. That makes him sad because he feels so unworthy. He must have low self-esteem.

Whitey just needs to shut up. Then the world would be better. Stupid whitey.

By the way, the Orient (and thus oriental) extends to Asia (including India, of course), Africa, the middle east, pacific islands, Central and South America (sometimes), and modern Greece (the ancient Greeks were considered the Aryan ancestors to Europe, though).

5. Fatty FatBastard

I find that extremely offensive. I'm going to file a complaint for verbal abuse against you.

Abusing people isn't a laughing matter.

6. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

If you were being serious, then I understand your position. But since you are clearly saying this to make a point, instead you are making a mocking the legitimacy of people who do in fact feel discriminated against.

In short, if you think this is funny, its not. You are really domonstrating your own ignorance on the topic.

7. Fatty FatBastard

I find your insults increasingly offensive.

8. krosfyah

"No man is an island." We all have some effect on our surroundings. If you happen to be a boss or an influential person, then these attitudes become problematic. Even if they don't, perception is everything.

But yes, many people overreact to perceived racism. But why do you think that is? Mental instability and illusions by millions of millions of peope? Or are the overreactions rooted in something?

If humans can show a sustained record of never showing racist tendancies, then people won't overract. Until I stop getting daily reinforcments that racism still exists, chances are, I'll continue to overract.

9. rimbaud

Supporting Member

Didn't I already say that whitey needs to keep his mouth shut? You are being so white right now. Little white crybaby.

10. arno_ed

Why do I immediately think About About a Boy(the no man is an island comment). I have had some problem about the fact that I do not care what others think. It is not ideal, But it makes life a lot easier :D.

I agree with you that there is to much racism in the world. So I can understand that people are sensitive. The thing I ask is not to get to bitter or sensitive, because there are so many people stupid enough to be racists. Because for people who are no racists it is pretty annoying that other people see racism in everything even though it is not there. But believe me I’m not to happy with so many racist people in the world(don’t get me started about my negative view of the human race).
    The world would be a lot better if everybody respected each other, but that will never happen.

p.s.
    Rimbaud your last post is not exactly a very intelligent and usefull comment. I can understand that FFB think some people are to sensitive.

11. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

No offense to Rimbaud, Fatty and Arno_Ed but I think you have to be a minority and to have experienced racism to understand while some of us get so hot about it.

Its one thing to be a member of the group that's been on top for almost the whole history of this country to tell people not be so sensitive and its another thing for people who haven't been on top to be concerned about where they stand in this society.

Its easy to say well its been 40 years now since the Civil Rights Act so we're all equal now so shut yer mouth but history is harder to forget than that.

If you're concerned about sensitivity take a look at the former Yugoslavia where problems among ethnicities were ruthlessly clamped down under Tito only to have people end up slaughtering each other over things that happened 400 years ago when the lid came off.

I think pointing out where someone is using or acting racist, even if they don't intend to, is a small price to pay for building a respectful and informed society.

12. rimbaud

Supporting Member

You appear to be confused.

13. krosfyah

I'm not insulting you. I'm insulting your behavior.

Pretending to be offended by the term "white" is, well, offensive. It demonstrates your lack of sensitivity.

Nice bait, however, so I guess I won't bite any longer to your little game.

14. Sishir Chang

So are you a minority who has experienced racism?

15. rimbaud

Supporting Member

You were grouping me with the wrong people - one of whom's posts in this thread I was insulting/mocking. Usually when that happens it means people are on opposite sides of an issue and should not be grouped together.

I'll make it easier for you - I don't like white people while Fatty thinks that being white is hard work so he dislikes it when minorities complain.

PS - yes, I have experienced racism. I was a minority within my neighborhood/schools growing up. I am white, of course, so it is a cheap racism but since you were so interested in trying to help me...

16. Sishir Chang

Well good for you for being a self-hating white.

17. Sishir Chang

Sorry Rimbaud. That last post was a bit unfair.

I'm presuming your exchange with Fatty was primarily sarcastic, which I still believe it is, but that was an unfair judgement on you.

But anyway while you might've experienced backlash racism, which I would say is wrong too, its not quite the same as being a minority in a society where for most of history the majority discriminated under the law. This is something that I believe it is hard for whites to ever understand.

I don't think telling people to not be so sensitive about it helps things and its better to debate it openly.

18. rimbaud

Supporting Member

So, again, what does that have to do with me? As for the other post, I don't hate myself in the least. Not liking white people has nothing to do with me.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Racism is racism. That mindset is on another slippery slope for bigoted thoughts.

20. krosfyah

No offense but I'm sure your white. Talk radio seems to have empowered white people into believing reverse-discrimination is something to be worried about.

Do you expect the little birdie to have anything good to say about the cat?

I'll agree, racism is racism but you are missing the essence of what is happening in the real world if you discredit minorities if they sometimes "appear" to be racist.