1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Yankees or Cubs, where will Maddux go??

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by intermill, Feb 15, 2004.

1. intermill

intermill Contributing Member

Return to Chicago seems likely for Maddux

This sucks

Return to Chicago seems likely for Maddux

ESPN.com news services
    Greg Maddux hasn't been in a hurry to decide which team he'll pitch for in 2004, but at this rate he might not have a choice to make.

One day after Maddux reportedly rejected a multi-year contract offer from the San Francisco Giants, the Chicago Cubs increased their proposal to the free-agent pitcher, the Chicago Sun-Times reported Sunday.

Cubs general manager Jim Hendry did not disclose details of his team's latest offer, but it is estimated to be in the $14 million to $15 million range over two years, according to the Sun-Times' report.

The Cubs, who opened the bidding for Maddux on Jan. 12, had been for days expected to increase their original two-year proposal worth a guaranteed $10 million, with the possibility of reaching $12 million through incentives.

Meanwhile, the Giants, apparently taking Maddux's rejection to heart, have pulled out of the running for the 289-game winner, according to a story in the Contra Costa Times on Sunday.

Scott Boras, Maddux's agent, contacted the Giants on Thursday night, and after the team made its offer it was summarily rejected, the Contra Costa Times reported.

The Cubs hope their latest offer will entice Maddux to agree to terms in the next couple of days, since Chicago's pitchers and catchers are scheduled to report to camp Wednesday in Mesa, Ariz.

"Hopefully, Greg will make his decision before camp starts," Hendry told the Sun-Times.

Maddux has said recently that's in no rush to sign with a new team.

"I'd like to get something done, make my decision, by the middle of next week, since most camps are opening," Maddux told the (Arlington Heights, Ill.) Daily Herald on Thursday night. "But even if it's a few days after that, or even a week after that, I don't see it as a big deal. Spring training is two weeks too long as it is. I've done my work all winter. I think after 20 years in pro ball I know how to get myself ready for a season."

Hendry and Boras spoke on Saturday in an apparent attempt to complete the negotiations that have dragged on for more than a month now, leaving Cubs fans anxious.

"Scott and I are talking and probably will through the weekend," Hendry said. "We have reiterated that we'd like Greg to be with us and, hopefully, he will decide to come back to Chicago."

The Los Angeles Dodgers and the St. Louis Cardinals also made pushes for Maddux, but are considered by some to be afterthougths at this point in the process.

Maddux was 16-11 last season, but his ERA of 3.96 was his highest since 1987, his second year in the majors.

2. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

3. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

No biggie! This guy is going to get rocked in Chicago. He is definitely over the hill!

4. PhiSlammaJamma

Agree. He's not the same Maddux. Batting average against Maddux...

Biggio: 299
    Bagwell: .256
    Kent .270
    Ausmus .357
    Hildago .429

And believe it or not. He has a losing record in the playoffs at 10-11. We can definately get to this guy.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I completly agree. However, I'd feel a lot better if the Dodgers or Giants got him.

6. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Or even the Cards. There's now way they'll be able to compete, even if they picked up Maddux.

7. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

I actually think he has at least 2yrs left at a fairly high level. He had a really poor start but really picked it up in the second half last year. In 15 starts he went 9-3 with an ERA of 3.03.

8. Yao Wink

Yao Wink Member

Just on the ESPN Sportscenter closing remards tonight courtesy of WABC, Greg Maddux to sign with the Yankees later on this week.

Good for the Yankees, unless the Stros have to face them in the Series.

9. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

I heard that too. I would prefer he sign with an AL team over a rival team that would present the possibility of facing him 3-4 times a year.

10. Buck Turgidson

He hasn't exactly baffled the 'Stros throughout his career. Plus, he's at best their 4th starter.

Still, I'm just glad he's not going back to Chi.

11. lalala902102001

Looks like that King George strikes again.

Those poor cubbies...:D

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

good for us...bad for baseball now that he is going to NYY

this is a joke now and spineless selig doesnt have the balls to do anything about it. georgey porgey can buy anyone he wants while making the luxury tax look like a joke

13. Yao Wink

Yao Wink Member

True, Maddux has a losing record in the playoffs. And current Astros have hit Maddux well during the season, but check out Maddux against the Astros in the playoffs:

ERA W-L Inn Hits ERA BB K
    1997 NLDS 1.00 1-0 9.0 7 1 1 6
    1999 NLDS 2.57 0-1 7.0 10 2 5 5
    2001 NLDS 3.00 0-0 6.0 4 2 3 5

This guy has pitched well against the Astros when it counts, in the playoffs. I am not going to count Maddux out, especially since he has had only 3 seasons with an ERA over 3.00 in the past 12 seasons and just as recently as 2002 had a 2.62 ERA.

14. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

Yankees to sign Maddux?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1736923

The rich in talent might be getting richer still ...

Free-agent pitcher Greg Maddux will sign with the New York Yankees sometime later this week, according to a report on New York's WABC-TV.

The Bergen Record, a New Jersey newspaper, reported that the Yankees have offered Maddux a deal and that the pitching is mulling it over but has yet to agree.

Earlier in the day, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman denied any interest in Maddux during a conference call announcing the megadeal for shortstop Alex Rodriguez.

"We are not involved with Greg Maddux," Cashman said at the time.

Maddux turned down a New York offer in 1992 before signing with the Atlanta Braves.

The news from what the Record called "a Major League Baseball source" came despite reports Sunday that the Chicago Cubs were nearing a deal with the perennial All-Star right-hander.

The Cubs reportedly raised their initial offer of two years at $10 million (combined) to more like the $14 million to $15 million range.

There is no word yet on how much the Yankees offered.

-------------

there's more there, but that's the relevant part.

I don't really care too much about it.. I wouldn't mind seeing the Cubs not get him, but then again, I think he's going to be continuing his decline this year anyway.

15. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

16. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I would love it if the Yankee's got Maddux... as someone posted in another thread, our best offensive players are starting to finally hit this guy and we wouldn't have to see him until October!

... and he wouldn't be pitching for the Cubs.

17. stubbyc

stubbyc Member

I really don't see why it matters so much to Cubs fans if they get Maddux. With QuesTec he no longer gets that ridiculous strike call that he once did. Our hitters will not be scared of his 82MPH fastball.

Boras is a greedy bloodsucking b*stard who will paralyze the Cubs from making any mid-season moves that they might need to. 2yrs 24 million for an aging deteriorating righty?I say let the Cubs have him.

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

They actually got him for 3 yrs / 24 mil. He'll be their 3rd starter, behind Woods and Prior with Zmabrano and Clement behind Maddux.

It will simply come down to offense between the Cubs and Astros. A lot will have to do with the 2 left fielders. Can Alou stay healthy for another full season (he played most of the season last year, I believe)? If Berkman has a year comparable to 2001, I don't see how anyone will be able to stick with the Astros.

19. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Oswalt
    Pettite
    Clemens
    Miller
    Redding

vs.

Wood
    Prior
    Clement
    Zambrano