1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo] The Most Unhealthy Commutes in America

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by D-Lite, Aug 1, 2007.

1. D-Lite

D-Lite Contributing Member

http://finance.yahoo.com/insurance/article/103291/The-Most-Unhealthy-Commutes-in-America

You might have heard that your commute is killing you. But it's not the doughnut and jumbo-sized coffee you've been downing every morning that's doing it.

What's really taking a toll on your health is the polluted air you're breathing, lengthy traffic delays and dodging accidents to and from work. Even as the stress mounts, we put up with it, since most of us can't afford to or don't want to live near our offices.

"It's a lifestyle choice," says David Rizzo, author of Survive the Drive! How to Beat Freeway Traffic in Southern California. "We put our health second. To have a big house, we're willing to put up with smog and a big drive. We sacrifice our longevity for short-term gains."

Behind The Numbers

To figure out which region is faring worst, we looked at three issues facing the country's 25 largest metropolitan areas.

First, we examined year-round particle pollution levels based on rankings by the American Lung Association, which used air monitoring data that states submitted to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) from 2003-05. To estimate the time people spend in rush hour traffic, we used the Texas Transportation Institute's 2005 Urban Mobility Report, which calculated annual delays per traveler during peak hours in urban areas nationwide.

Finally, to get a sense of how dangerous the roads are, we compiled the number of per-capita fatal car accidents each region had in 2005 using the U.S. Department of Transportation's Fatality Analysis Reporting System.

Topping the list were Riverside, Calif., followed by Atlanta and Los Angeles. Rounding out the top five were Houston and Washington, D.C., which tied.

SoCal's Triple Whammy

Not only do commuters in Southern California inhale the worst year-round particle pollution levels, but Riverside drivers also face the highest rate of fatal auto accidents per capita, and Los Angeles drivers spend the most time sitting in traffic. In 2003, the annual delay per traveler there was 93 hours.

Long commutes, research has shown, can lead to loss of short-term memory, more days of missed work and such ailments as higher blood pressure, muscle tension and an accelerated heart rate.

Part of the problem is that, unlike New York City, where companies such as Citigroup are headquartered, Los Angeles doesn't have a single activity center. Instead it has a couple dozen, says Texas Transportation Institute research engineer Tim Lomax. As a result, most people have to drive long distances to get to their jobs, causing congestion and a higher likelihood of accidents. Companies headquartered here include the Walt Disney Co., and Northrup Grumman.

And because of its location in a basin, pollution in the Los Angeles area caused by diesel exhaust, barges, locomotives and other sources tends to stay put, says Janice Nolen, assistant vice president with National Policy and Advocacy for the American Lung Association.

Pollution Punch

While drivers busy trying to get to work may not notice it, the exposure is hurting them.

Ultra-fine particulate matter has been linked with premature death, cardiovascular disease and respiratory illness, according to the California Air Resources Board. Though it takes Americans an average of 25 minutes to drive to work, according to 2005 U.S. Census Bureau figures, the board estimates that over 50% of a person's daily exposure to ultra-fine particles can occur during a commute.

Likewise, a 2005 study by researchers at the University of Southern California's Keck School of Medicine showed that long-term exposure to ambient particulate matter may contribute to atherosclerosis, the hardening and narrowing of the arteries.

"Particle pollution kills people, whether they're breathing it in over a short period or day in and day out for a year," Nolen says. "It's not like being hit by a car, but it shortens the lives of people by months to years."

Even if you live in a city with low pollution levels, don't kid yourself; that doesn't necessarily mean your commute is healthy. A 2007 report by the Clean Air Task Force that investigated diesel exhaust levels during commutes in New York, Boston, Austin, Texas, and Columbus, Ohio, documented diesel particle levels four to eight times higher inside commuter cars, buses and trains than in those cities' ambient outdoor air.

The only commutes found to be low in diesel exposure were those on electric-powered subways and commuter trains, buses running on alternative fuels or retrofitted with diesel particulate filters, and in cars traveling with little truck traffic.

Top Tips

While you can't exactly control the safety levels of the roads you're driving on, and moving may not be on your agenda, you can do something.

To minimize your exposure to pollution, Conrad Schneider, advocacy director for the Clean Air Task Force, says drivers should try to avoid roads filled with trucks' diesel exhaust. If you can't avoid traveling with trucks, close your windows and set your air to recirculate. Of course, carpooling or taking public transit can cut congestion and travel times. You could also support the Clean Air Task Force and the American Lung Association's campaigns, which urge the EPA to set stricter pollution standards.

"There's no excuse in 2007 to have trucks belch black smoke in our faces when there are solutions to reduce the problem," Schneider says.

when i clicked it, i said to myself "houston has to be one of the top 5" :mad:

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

my 1 mile commute is killing me :D

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

My morning commute is from the bet to the toilet. Talk about toxic fumes.

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Quality of life. Be happy, work to live.

Typical weekday schedule:

7:40 wake up, shower, get dressed (wife irons clothes)
    7:55 head out the door, walk 2 blocks to work
    8:00 pour first cup of coffee, check email, CF.net, etc.

5. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I work a couple of miles from my office, and love it...I should walk but i drive...I wake up at 8, get to work by 845, but that's because I take my time getting dressed and watch a little tv...When I lived in Houston i had a commute and it sucked...

on a side note, I read that if you have laser printers in your office, that it's equivalent to smoking...apparently it emites a lot of dust/particles...

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Now there's a practical solution I never thought of. I'll just take the side streets from Kingwood to Allen Parkway. Sure, it will take me 2 1/2 hours to get to work every morning, but at least I won't die from truck fumes.

Doesn't everyone already do this? Who drives with their windows down in the Houston summer?

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I do. My car hasn't had A/C in about 6 years.

8. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

You (and your car) must smell wonderful. :eek:

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I love my 30-second commute.

10. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I work in two places, one requires a ten minute drive (on roads with LOTS of big rigs)

the other requires me to walk from my living room to the office in the back of the house.

the downside?

I find myself working till nearly 11pm alot of the time. :(

11. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

USA! USA!

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I used to live in Riverside for college, and the article isn't far off. Imagine all the dust and crap from LA from hours before being swept into a little cul de sac with its own pollution and you have Riverside. It's actually worse than the smog levels in LA.

And the traffic? Because of the housing boom, people were selling their homes in LA/OC area and moving east thinking that they could stomach the hours long commutes and make 100-200k from the cheaper homes there. Personally, that extra money is not worth it to me if I had to spend every day wasting hours on the 91, breathing in the filthy air, and living in a desert climate with no sea breeze to help.

13. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

I love my 5 second commute. My office about 10 feet behind my house.

14. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

delete

#14 oomp, Aug 1, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2007