1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[yahoo] Spurs front-runners in race for Maggette

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LFE171, Jul 1, 2008.

1. LFE171

LFE171 Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AgRJLlICibcETGsec3RoVbO8vLYF?slug=aw-spursmaggette070108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Ah sht...if he does go there, then the writing's on the wall for Barry. BB will sign here probably but I'd rather us just get Maurice Evans and no BB with the spurs keeping BB than them getting Maggette.

Ugh.....Landry's agent lashing back, now this? Not cool for the other SW division teams.

2. Dei

Dei Member

MLE = Maggette? Means we can go after him too.

3. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

4. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Makes you wonder why Maggette was not our first target instead of Barry.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the rockets always seem to draw the short straw.

we think were taking barry away from them... but really we should be targeting maggette.

6. Pringles

Pringles Member

i think we did go after him... it was just, maggette chosed them over us. i wonder why though?

i'm guessing its a 2 year deal. especially since many teams are preparing for the free agency after the next two season, maggette would get a big fat contract then.

7. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Damn, are the spurs smart or what? They've been pushing Maggette for the past day, even though no one saw the clipper signing coming. Jeez!

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

If the Spurs get Maggette they'll be tougher. I hate that.

Then the Warriors have offered Gilbert Arenas a max contract and Baron Davis is going to stay in the West and play with a healthy Elton Brand. I hope Arenas doesn't come out West. It just keeps getting tougher and tougher around here.

9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

starting job. more money. longer contract?

probably all of the above.

10. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Does this mean the spurs won't extend Manu's contract? If so, we can sign Barry for a two-year contract, and two years later we can go after Manu.

11. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Come on Mr. Morey!!!! If you can cockblock SA in the draft, you can do it in free agency!!!
    YOU CAN DOOO ITTTT! ALL NIGHT LONG!!!

12. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm tired of sitting around watching the Rockets do nothing during FA signing time !! Damn It !!!! Why do the Spurs always get what they want. As of now if all these FA go where they are being reported to go then the Roxs are in big trouble !!!!! Damn all we need is ONE more Star caliber player and why can't we get that player !!!!!!! UGHHHHHHHHH

13. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

this doesn't help if it happens, but again there are plenty of financial possibilities and minutes for both barry and evans on the roster.

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I can understand the focus on Landry makes it harder for them to look beyond their limited resources but Maggette should have been a Full MLE target for Houston,even if the chances of getting him were as remote as getting Rashard Lewis.
    SA Maggette/Ginobili
    vs
    HR Tracy/Barry.
    The difference is enormous.

15. saleem

I've no idea what the Spurs are going to do but I feel that they won't let Manu go out of their hands easily.

16. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Maggette is worth $8 mill/year on the open market. I'm sure he'll come to his sense, and take more money elsewhere.

17. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

18. saleem

The reason is because they have no confidence in Tracy and in an injured Yao who have never been past the 1st round.SA is a 4 time NBA Champ who can reload and make another charge.

19. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Yeah. Maybe this is just his strategy to get bigger contract form another team that he really wants to go.

20. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I think people are looking at this like the Spurs are gonna snatch up Magette. If Magette is going to go somewhere for the mid-level, why not go to a championship team that he can probably start for. Don't think thats not a major selling point for him.

If he has to take less money, there aren't many better situations for him.