1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo Sports] Odom leaning toward joining Miami Heat

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 25, 2009.

1. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

thanks, I didn't realize he had the UFA status.

2. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

no problem, glad I could help. Most restricted free agents are on their rookie deals.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Quite frankly, I'm FOR any above average players moving to the East.

Plus, I think a Wade/Beasley/Odom SG/SF/PF trio would do really really well. Beasley and Odom would work great off each other.

Heat would just need a tough guy at C and a 3-pt expert at PG.

Why is it so easy to become a contender in the East?? lol

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It isn't easy to become a contender in the East. If you look at the defending conference champs Magic, the Celtics and Cavs (all of whom will be improved), everyone else is playing for the 4th seed. The only reason the Heat seem to be close (if Odom comes on-board) is because of Wade. Having Superman at SG does that for a team. The top 3 teams in the East are outstanding and each one is a legit championship contender. There is nothing "easy" about the Eastern Conference this coming season.

5. sbyang

sbyang Member

Well they need alot more than Odom to be a contender. Miami has a chance to be a contender but lots of things have to break right for them, first they've got to get Odom, then they have to do the Boozer deal, then they need to do something about the black hole they have at the point.

6. Egghead

Egghead Member

Mario Chalmers is at point....he's a STUD.

7. HTR99

HTR99 Member

Chalmers is good but I wouldn't go that far. For where he was selected in the draft, he was steal.

There's no blackhole at the point. I watch them alot and know firsthand, they're in better shape than when Williams played last. A potential lineup of:

Chalmers/Wade/Odom/Boozer/O'Neal
    Beasley leading the bench

is a contender, at worst 4th seed EC and 2nd in southeast.

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Nahh, I can't agree.

The Cavaliers IMO can not beat any team comign out of the West. Neither would Orlando IMO (I believe they matched up BEST against the Lakers? vs other WC opponents).

I think, assuming nothing changes much, Orlando and Boston will be the top playoff teams again.

Outside of those two, I honestly don't think even Cleveland can be a Western playoff team in the playoffs. We'll see I guess.

Even without Boozer, I think the Heat can snatch home court.

Oneal/Magliore/J Anthony
    Odom/Haslem
    Beasley/Diawara/James Jones
    Wade/D Cook
    Chalmers/Quinn

I think they're a couple of minor additions away from challenging for 3rd seed.

Really minor. Like Luther Head and Hakim Warrick.

9. engr_alex

engr_alex Member

if the heat gets odom and boozer, i hope they make a run for dalembert. man, that would be a sick lineup.

chalmers
    wade
    odom/beasley
    boozer
    dalembert

an oneal/dalembert swap might work. but im not sure how brand would exist with jermaine on the frontcourt. but at least they get an expiring this year :)

10. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Add Hakim Warrick they would be sick....