1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo]RB Ricky Williams applies for reinstatement to NFL Would Texans be interested?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Shehzad23, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Shehzad23

Shehzad23 Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-suspendedwilliams&prov=ap&type=lgns

RB Ricky Williams applies for reinstatement to NFL
    October 1, 2007

MIAMI (AP) -- Suspended running back Ricky Williams applied for NFL reinstatement Monday, his agent said.

"Ricky is extremely excited about the prospect of playing in the NFL again," Leigh Steinberg said.

Williams has played in only 12 NFL games since the start of the 2004 season, but rushed for 3,225 yards in 2002-03. His current suspension began in April 2006 after he violated the league's drug policy for the fourth time. He tested positive for mar1juana this April, again delaying his return.

Williams remains under contract with Miami, where he won the NFL rushing title in 2002. But new coach Cam Cameron has not indicated whether he wants Williams to stay with the Dolphins, who fell to 0-4 Sunday.

The 1998 Heisman Trophy winner spent an extended vacation in Australia and India during a yearlong retirement in 2004. He played in the Canadian Football League in 2006 and taught yoga in California.

Williams' attorney did not immediately return phone messages Monday.

2. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

No.

Evan

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I doubt he'll be that good anymore, but he can't be much worse then Dayne. I'll sign him for the league minimum and take a chance. After all he was just smoking weed, not killing dogs......

4. msn

msn Member

In other news, the Astros finally made a World Series.

Lock it.

5. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

The Texans don't sign LOSERS.

Mrs. Jones will probably sign him for the Cowgirls!

6. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

No way McNair shells out money to Rickey.

If Rickey signs anywhere, it will be with the Raiders.

7. blackistan

blackistan Member

I would take a chance after seeing what ron dayne did the last game we definitely need more depth at rb and right now anything would help if there is still no ahman green

8. msn

msn Member

Would you sign a comma or a period even if it had smoked week before? :p

9. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

sure. he has talent (or had, we'll see) and isn't a malcontent or a locker room cancer. as long as we realize he is completely undependable when it comes to drug tests, I'm all for it

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the nfl players didn't hate on ricky williams, he was just wierd PM Darm guy who walks around barefooted. didn't seem like a cancer. plus if you are an nfl player and you wanted to get some good chronic, why not have a friend on the team who wants to talk about world peace and smoke one with you?

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

then why did we sign Ron Dayne? :confused: he wasn't exactly a hot commodity

Ricky Williams is better than that slow guy

12. david12sfa

david12sfa Member

If Ricky could get into game shape around the halfway mark of the season it would be a great gamble. Kinda reminds me of Bonzi. If you can get him for a reasonable price way not.

13. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

for the min. i woudl take him.

14. Precision340

Precision340 Member

I don't see Mr. McNair spending money on Ricky Williams. Is he still getting high? Isn't he still serving suspension time?

15. tinman

Supporting Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3045004
    Steinberg said Williams was in "great shape" and "great spirits." He said Williams has been working with a personal trainer and continues to teach yoga.

16. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

as long as you don't really count on him for anything, I don't see the problem in bringing him in.

17. verse

verse Contributing Member

exactly. low risk, high reward. it's the same theory the cowgirls used with terrell owens and tank johnson. there are no guaranteed contracts in the nfl, so what's the real risk in signing ricky?

if he fails a test, cut him. if he doesn't perform well, cut him.

i guess the worse case scenario is that he would come in and do very well under kubes. then, when he becomes an integral part of the team, he gets popped for herb. that's the worse case i can think of, and that isn't terrible to me because it's not like we would be getting rid of our current backs in order to sign ricky. it's not like we are choosing ricky over another proven, available running back on the free agent market. it's ricky or more of what we've been seeing lately...

it's a no brainer, imho.

18. AGBee

AGBee Member

i'd bring him in

19. tinman

Supporting Member

I might join the bandwagon if Ricky is on it. If New England picks him up then they are straight up cheaters.

http://www.miamiherald.com/592/story/258347.html
    • Word is Ricky Williams, who applied for NFL reinstatement Monday, has been living in Boston the past few months and meeting regularly with a therapist for counseling on life issues. He rejected a proposal to do a reality show but is mulling an offer to do a yoga video. He hopes to generate interest from, in particular, Tampa Bay, Green Bay, Dallas, Houston or New England, assuming Miami dumps him.

20. updawg

updawg Member

I doubt miami lets him go to New England.
    He really wants to come back to Texas from the interviews I've heard. Hopefully Houston and not dallas. He wants out of florida, too many people pissed at him there