1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo] Hakeem wants to sell you some Dream Shakes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pugsly8422, Sep 20, 2013.

1. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Spoilered pic due to size.
    [​IMG]

Hakeem Olajuwon would like to sell you some sneakers, please

Ever since Hakeem Olajuwon first started selling jeans and polo shirts by Knope-leaning on Beetles, we've wondered when the Hall of Fame center would complete his sartorial offering by turning his attention to that most critical piece of basketball-related apparel: the sneaker. Now, 2 1/2 years later, here we are.

On Saturday, the Houston Rockets legend (and, for one season, Toronto Raptors contributor) will host an event at the DR34M Mansion — a sprawling Clear Lake City, Texas, estate that Olajuwon bought, renamed (because he's "The Dream" and he wore 34, get it?) and turned into a fashion boutique where you can make an appointment with the DR34M brand's "master tailor" to get fully suited and booted — to release the first edition of his "Dream Shake" sneaker line, which we've shown above.

Unlike the Etonic, L.A. Gear and Spalding kicks he wore and endorsed during his 18-year NBA career, Olajuwon says he's been intimately involved in the development of the Dream Shake — "I went to different sources, looking at the manufacturing, selecting the material," he told Houston's FOX 26 — throughout the two-year process of bringing it to market. In what's probably a related story, unlike the signature shoes he promoted during his playing days — especially the Spaldings, which retailed for $35 at Payless ShoeSource stores as a stark pre-Starbury response to the rising prices of signature shoes endorsed by the likes of Michael Jordan and Shaquille O'Neal — the Dream Shake will sell for $185, a price point much more in keeping with the other luxury-line items for sale at DR34M's online store, including a variety of leather bags and exfoliating agents. The NBA's onward march toward fashion's final frontier, it seems, includes the Dream.

Olajuwon's trumpeting the sneaker as equal parts performance shoe and sensible accessory, noting the unique soles made by Vibram, whose pioneering technology has aided both climbers and people who want to look sort of like apes while running comfortably, and the fact that "when you put it with your jeans, you're fashionable." And hey, if you're in the market for a new pair of jeans, the Dream can hook you up for the low price of just half of one Large Dead Sea Spa Gift Set. Total win-win.

I'd say I'm not sure we'll be seeing the Dream Shake on NBA courts any time soon, but two things give me pause. For one thing, Hakeem has helped develop the post games of basically everybody who currently draws an NBA paycheck, and may now have a full-time in with the entire Rockets roster. This might entitle him to call in a favor or two to help get his brand off the ground, especially locally.

Mostly, though, there's that rumor that Gilbert Arenas might get a training camp look from the Los Angeles Clippers — if he catches on, it would not be at all surprising to see a man who once wore Dolce & Gabbana sneakers during a game take the Dream Shake for a spin. And if he did so, there is no doubt in my mind that he would try to pull off a Dream Shake no fewer than once for every minute of floor time he received until Doc Rivers yanked him off the court.

Here's more from FOX 26's sitdown with Olajuwon to chat about the new kicks:

Having trouble embedding, here's the link to the video.

2. SK34

SK34 Member

been posted

3. pugsly8422

Seeing that the article was put up on Yahoo about 70 minutes ago, and searching all the recent posts, I'm not sure where....

4. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

it'd be cool if he turned the dream shake into some sort of healthy yet extremely delicious milkshake. I'd buy that. I can just imagine looking forward to a mid afternoon dreamshake to break up my day. mmmmm....

5. AFS

AFS Member

Judging by the picture, they seem like shoes made for bigs. Depending on the colorways, they might work as casual-wear too.

6. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

man those are ugly

dream has bad taste in shoes. his LA gear and Etonics were hideous as well

7. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

I bet Ronald McDonald had them on pre-order months in advance

1 person likes this.
  8. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Winner.

9. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

10. TISNF

TISNF Member

Would've been better off partnering with Whataburger and selling actual Dream Shakes.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I was actually disappointed to see this thread was not about milkshakes.

12. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

He must of also pre-ordered these too to match the shoes....

[​IMG]

13. pugsly8422

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It was announced prior to the Yahoo article. At the same time, how far should people dig through the GARM before starting a new thread?

Dream can do whatever he wants, but I'm not a fan. He's selling an experience along with the clothing, but it still doesn't justify those prices.

15. pugsly8422

Yeah, and before posting, when I searched the titles for the following, nothing came up:

Dream Shakes
    Olajuwon Shoes
    Hakeem Shoes
    Dream Shoes

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Hakeem loveeeeees money. Cant blame him.

17. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Can I get some fries with those shoes?

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Anyone think they'll match my socks or would they clash?

[​IMG]

19. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

The event thing on FB says you can get a pic with him in front of the old Summit floor if you buy something. Not clear on if the "something" has to be the shoes or some other item of a particular value.

20. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

@heypartner - you have some long ass feet. LOL.