1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo!] Carmelo privately expressing more enthusiasm to join Rockets than Knicks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ebu, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure Murphy would have to be included to make the salaries work or does it not matter since NJ is under the cap?

2. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Why dont we do a deal for Favors with the Nets and just forgo the Carmelo discussions? Lets get favors and their draft picks and stop talking about Melo. Heck we could get Iggy and Favors and go young.

3. worzel gummidge

If it's Favors + Harris. Adding Ross would make the salaries work.

4. faraza84

faraza84 Member

that means they would have to move billups because harris, billups and lawson cant all be on the same team, definately gonna require more then 2 teams. Just one team is gonna have to suck it up and take billups eventhough they want melo

5. worzel gummidge

If the Nuggets trade Melo early on they have until the trade deadline to deal their other vets for more assets or to salary dump. They'll be in rebuild mode. Playing time and too many players at the same position won't matter this season.

6. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I think New Jersey is going to have to find a third team to take Harris and give up something else the Nuggets want.

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

You guys overrate harris for denver. He is only worthwhile if the nuggets can also trade billups in this deal. Further the guy is about as healthy as tmac and martin and has 2 more years left on his somewhat overpriced contract.

That being said favors and 2 1sts likely (mid round) is better than what we can offer unless les is willing to actually pay the luxury tax and take on birdmans contract if Denver values money and zero deals beyond this year more.

8. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

If we had the chance of getting Melo but Les turned it down because he didn't want to take on Anderson's contract, I would be supremely pissed off!

We are the only team that can give them substantial salary cap relief.

I'm praying that Hollinger's prediction comes true and we land Melo in a 3 way with the Bobcats which sends Brooks to Charlotte and Dampier to the Nuggets.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Yeah its going to have to be some sort of multiteam deal where we facilitate the nuggets getting under the lux tax as well as multiple picks and cheap young talent. I know it was a random trade but were there any actual specifics behind that hollinger trade?

10. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Here's Hollinger's tweets

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

That's not true at all.

Sac is well under the salary cap. If they wanted they could trade Cousins strait up for Anthony and trim almost 14 million off of their cap and come away with a massive trade exception. If Denver thinks Cousins is a franchise center for the next decade and a half that could be a very attractive offer. Throw in a 1st round pick and Denver might be tempted.

Demarcus Cousins
    1st round pick
    13.5 million trade exception

12. ABrooks0

ABrooks0 Member

They don't have a good offer at all compared to what other teams can offer.

13. tested911

tested911 Member

Call me a noob but doesn't the salaries have to match or it works by saying the 1st round pick is worth so many $$$$.. I'm clueless when it comes to this stuff.

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

salaries only need to match if you exceed the salary cap, else you just send trade exceptions back.

15. crash5179

SAC is well under the salary cap so the answer to your question in this case is "no" the salaries do not have to match. This years salary cap is 58 million while SAC has a payroll of about 43 million. That means they can take back up to an extra 14 million in salary in a trade.

16. crash5179

That depends on what Denver thinks of Cousins. If you think he is going to be as good or better than Dwight Howard as some think then this would be a great trade for Denver. Of course I have no idea what Denver thinks of Cousins or even if Sac is willing to trade him. I was just giving this scenario as an example of how another team could offer significantly better cap relief than the Rockets.

17. crash5179

I constantly flip flop on how I feel about Melo. He is not a great defender and through out the normal flow of the game is not a significant improvement over Kevin Martin. Where I think Melo would make the biggest impact however is at the end of games when he would crave the last shot and take it strong to the basket drawing the foul or making the shot. He is one of the few players in the NBA that shoots more free throws then Kevin Martin but he does not shoot the three ball as well. One thing that I really like about Melo is that he knows he is not a three point shooter and does not try to live behind the arc the way TMac did. Melo is big, strong, physical and loves to score close to the basket which I like a lot.

At the end of the day I would love to have Melo but if we don't get him I will not be as disappointed as I was when Bosh signed in Miami. I actually think our current team is going to be damn good.

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

pretty sure there is 0% chance they offer that trade since melo wouldn't sign an extention there. it is good to know that they are one of the teams that can offer cap relief since they don't have a chance at signing melo meaning they don't have a chance at melo.

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i can't figure out how that would get denver under the luxury tax

20. tested911

tested911 Member

Gotcha so that is why Cousins + Pick can offset the rest amount?

And if Sac was only 5 mil under the cap say 54 Mil... That means they can only take back 4 so would have to include more that just Cousins and picks?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.