1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Y! sports]Keenum has everything a Heisman winner needs

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Nov 4, 2009.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Incorrect.

Keenum and Joseph split QB duties almost 50/50 throughout that season.

Including the Rice game, where both attempted 18 passes.

2. PointForward

PointForward Member

This ridiculous fluff piece easily beats the gem Lopez wrote about Jerrod Johnson LOL.

Let's face it, What defenses has Keenum been facing? C-USA defenses. OSU's defense is very average as my awful aggies put up 30 on them, and Tech's D is a complete joke. The rest of the wins came against awful teams.

Not taking away anything from him, but mentioning him with the likes of Tebow and Bradford is just ludicrous. It's exactly like saying Jerrod Johnson is a Heisman candidate because he led the nation in yards and TD passes after 3 weeks of football (who did we play in those weeks, you may ask? the college equivalents of high school teams. Teams on the same tier as the ones Keenum has been spanking around).

It's nice to pull for an individual and be a homer for our city's college team, but some of you guys take it waaaaaaaaay too far.

3. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Wow, it's almost like you don't pay attention to Cougar football or didn't read the article at all.

4. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/20...unt-more-than-othe/?ncid=txtlnkusspor00000002

4. Case Keenum, who may win the Heisman by default, threw for 559 yards against Southern Miss on Saturday.

On 54 pass attempts. He wasn't sacked.

Not once.

What's more, Keenum has attempted 398 passes so far this season and has only been sacked 10 times. Counting the sacks Keenum has dropped back to pass 408 times, probably more since he's scrambled for yardage several times, but only 10 times have defenses managed to sack him.

That means almost 98 percent of the time when he drops back to pass, the ball is leaving his hand before a defender gets to him. Can you imagine how debilitating that is to a defensive line? To know that, on average, if you rush the quarterback on 50 consecutive plays you're going to get to him once?

How mentally tiring must that be?

I've read quite a bit of praise for Keenum so far this season, but I haven't read anything about Houston's offensive line and the job they've done allowing Keenum to attempt so many passes. Kudos to them.

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

pffft. I just looked up the box score. Keenum didn't do squat that game. Joseph threw for all your TDs and over 300 yards. Keenum threw for 0 TDs and 156 yards. Not exactly telling the whole story, there, Donny. I'll stick with my statement that Keenum has a losing record versus Rice.

6. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

inorite?

the lazy bum could've at least pitched in on kick returns while he wasn't QBing

what a phony

7. PointForward

PointForward Member

I actually read it:
    and yet the article contends that he has "outplayed" Colt and Tebow, who go against top defensive teams in the nation week in and week out

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

If you want to bring that into the equation, it seems fair then to compare Colt's stats vs OSU and Tech to Case's stats vs OSU and Tech.

9. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

The evidence against Cult is staggering.

Compare Keenum's performance vs. UTEP, TTU, and OSU to Cult's.

Tebow, well, there's only Miss St... but you simply cannot deny he deserves an invite. Like Fyreball said, if you're not looking at Ingram, Keenum or Clausen as the finalists... you're smoking whatever Schaub's gotten into.

[​IMG]

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Schaub looks like he was higher than DaDa was when he alledged that Colt was better than Matt.

11. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

So we should ignore the games/stats against common opponents??? Keenum has shown greatness against BCS teams and CUSA teams.

12. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I do find it quite funny that all of the Cougar fans are lashing out at the UT fans, when hardly any real Texas fan thinks Colt deserves it. We will take the wins over the Heisman any day. As a few have said, Thomas and Shipley are the two best players on our team.

Although, it just goes to prove that every single fanbase (not just Texas, as many claimed last year about the 45-35 disaster) will whine and complain when they feel deeply that their team (or star player in this case) is not being shown the love it deserves.

Do I think Case deserves the trophy? Sure. Will he win it? Very, very unlikely.

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I don't think that Case Keenum deserves the Heisman trophy, I just think his name should be at the very least mentioned with the likes of McCoy, Tebow, etc.

14. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

How is comparing his numbers to another candidate "lashing out"?

Wtf? Where do people keep getting this "promoting UH = bashing UT" mentality?

And yeah man... poll the UT faithful... they do believe he deserves the Heisman (hence why I call him Cult :D )... that dog won't hunt... not that it even matters, as yall have every right to wear homer glasses.... and this discussion is about Case.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Colt's having a horrible year for himself. Keenum is having a better year. This thread directly compares Keenum to Colt so it is easy to see where people could take UH bolster=UT Bashing.

For me, Jacquizz Rodgers should win the Heisman.

16. PointForward

PointForward Member

In theory, yes. But both Tech and OSU are utter trash compared to UT (coming from an aggie lol :( ), so Colt didn't really have to go all out against them. UT essentially cruised through these 2 games and don't forget the fact that they have so many weapons that they don't really need Colt to go insane for them to win. Plus you have to take into account the fact that both OSU AND Tech took UH lightly, and hence the comparison is skewed.

Once again, play Keenum against such defenses as OU, Bama, Florida, Vtech, etc, and you'll be able to judge him and objectively compare him to the REAL Heisman candidates.

by the way, if Tebow doesn't win it, I think Shipley should be the 6th (I think) non QB or RB to win it. This guy is a freaking beast.

17. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I'm sorry, but that is total bullshat.

You're reaching for reasons at this point, almost as bad as bigtexxx (lol).

18. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i'm still trying to figure out how 1-1 is a losing record

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Tebow shouldn't win it, but neither should Shipley. No where near the yards or TDs needed for non-QB.

20. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I do not attribute the narrow UH victory in 2007 to Keenum, when Joseph put up all the stats at QB that game. Sorry. Keenum is winless vs. the Owls.