1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WWIII]Does anyone just shake their heads and wonder wtf anymore?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

US to withhold funds from Hamas, Israel says Hamas, Iran, Syria will spark WWIII

US to withhold funds from Hamas, Israel says Hamas, Iran, Syria will spark WWIII
    U.S. President George W. Bush confirmed on Tuesday that US funding would not be transferred to Hamas unless it recognizes Israel's right to exist and becomes a "partner in peace," reported Reuters.

Israel also recently decided to withhold tax revenue it collects on behalf of the Palestinians which it transfers to them on a monthly basis.

Many maintain that the Palestinians face a tragic financial and humanitarian crisis if the monies are not released.

Hamas leader Khaled Mashaal, however, expressed his conviction that the decisions of the US and Israel were of little consequence to the Palestinians, and that Iran and the Arab world would come to their aid and compensate for the lacking funds.

Israel says new political landscape is leading to World War III

Israel’s envoy to the United Nations warned on Tuesday that a third World War would be sparked by the cooperation of Hamas, Iran and Syria.

Addressing the U.N. Security Council on Tuesday, envoy Danny Gillerman, said that the new political landscape developing in light of the ascension to power of Hamas could lead to “the first world war of the 21st century,” according to Ynet.

Gillerman added that “the world is witnessing a new alliance between Iran, Syria and Hamas, which constitutes an axis of terror.”

© 2006 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

http://albawaba.com/en/countries/Iran/194984

Does any one other than myself look at Israel's comments and just shake their head in disbelief? I mean, you have a nation telling another nation saying that because of a Palestinian democracy, a world war will emerge? What is the alternative, slavery and genocide? I am not saying Iran is not guilty of making similar comments, but I am saying they both act quite child like. It's as if the two nations fight, just to fight. I understand Syria's fury, their property is still being occupied. Iran never controlled the region in question though, there is no historical claim to it. The Persians never lived there. Oh well, rant over.

2. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

one could argue that we are in WWIII already.

3. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Let's select top 3 boxer from each side, solve it in the boxing ring .

4. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

I'm not sure what you'd expect of Israel until Hamas recognizes their right to exist. That seems to be a 'starting point' at which no relations can go forward without such a concession. And I can hardly fault Israel for not sending money to an organization whose mission statement is the destruction of Israel.

As for WWIII, I don't think so. Any conflict between Israel and her neighbors would just result in another humiliating ass kicking for the Arabs. Why that would draw any of the larger powers in I can't say.

5. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

Seriously who cares?

We'll wipe them off the face of the map.

#5 TMac640, Mar 3, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2006
  6. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

And people wonder why Americans are hated around the world.

:rolleyes:

7. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

i'd say most people around the globe that are worth knowing can tell the difference between TMac640 and you and i. don't be such a worrywart. :)

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

WWIII? That would make for some good tv! :cool:

9. Major

Major Member

I agree in terms of the US not sending aid and any aid Israel provides. However, the article talks about tax revenue Israel is collecting from the Palestinians and for the Palestinians. Withholding that, regardless of leadership, strikes me as completely unethical. If nothing else, stop collecting it and tell Hamas its their own responsibility to do that. But don't collect it and then keep it.

10. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

It might be the 5 day war this time. Iran and Syria would be crushed by Israel. How many times do they want to say uncle?

11. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And one would be wrong.

12. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

The Russians have even come out and said that Hamas has to tone down the rhetoric and recognize Israel to be considered a legititmate political entity. The Iranians are not going to attack anyone unless they are attacked first. I think Syria has been a$$ whip by Israel enough already to know better. Why would any country attack a nuclear power? Even if Hamas, Syria and Iran were to start winning a conventional war then all of a sudden Tehran and Damascus would cease to exist in their present intact form.

Now I'm sure the Israeli government would love to wipe the "axis of terror", sounds like a wrestling team, off the map too.

WWIII is still doubtful, but when China says its got Iran's back, then lets start talking world war.

13. Cesar^Geronimo

Watch out if the Isreali's send out a little guy with a sling and three stones

14. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

TMAC640 is a part of the Shadow Government?

15. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

If Al-Qaeda really wants to start world war III then all they have to do is bomb the Dome of the Rock and have it blamed on Israel.

16. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I agree the US doesn't have to provide aid to the Palestinians if they don't want to, that's our right (besides, the Muslim world will provide it, it isn't such a large aid anyways that the Palestinians recieve from the U.S., it could be easily compensated for by the Saudis or some other rich Arab country, which the Arab League has pledged to do). However, the tax money being collected by Israel is Palestinian money, withholding it would be stealing it, plain and simple.

They can stop collecting it and force Hamas-led government to do so themselves, but they can't calim a right to withhold it, it isn't their money.

17. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They're not Nazis...

18. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

That's now what I heard on Fox News. ;)

19. insane man

insane man Member

why should the occupied recognize the occupiers right to exist without the occupiers recognizing the occupied's right to exist?

20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The problem here is that everybody is painting Hamas into a corner. By making vocal threats about withholding aid if Hamas doesn't Israel they make the act of recognition look like knuckling under and compromising the Palestinian people.

It might have been a better idea to make vague public statements like “We are concerned about Hamas’ philosophy.” while making their demands for the continuation of funding were contingent on Hamas moderating their views.

It seems like they are trying to be as confrontational as possible. If you were Hamas and actually wanted to recognize Israel, you almost couldn't at this point unless you wanted to loose all credibility.