1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WTF?!?!? Lakers get a week off?!?!?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by droxford, Jan 1, 2003.

1. droxford

droxford Member

I was just looking at the different schedules for teams around the NBA, and I noticed that the Lakers have almost an entire week off between a couple of their games! They played Toronto last Sunday, and they don't play again until this Saturday! WTF?!?!?

Also, it was conveniently scheduled at a month change, so it would be less noticable. That's pretty damn fishy to me. I mean, I know the schedule was created long before the season started, but that's a huge benefit to the Lakers that many other teams (like the Rockets) gon't get. How can this be?!?!

-- droxford

2. napster

napster Member

3. cujo

cujo Member

I gon't get it either. :) Lakers may actually get back to their winning ways for the new year. They have won two in a row. The break will allow them to get some practices and allow them regain some team unity.

4. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

Won't it just mean that they will have to play 3 or 4 games in about as many nights later on in the season?

Something's not Kosher here... :D

5. Just B

Just B Member

Maybe it's to make up for them having to play on Christmas or something? But wouldn't you need a week off too after playing two very challenging teams like Denver and Carter-less Toronto?:rolleyes:

6. Shawndme7

Shawndme7 Contributing Member

Hush you fags, Sacramento gets almost an entire week off too!

7. SLA

SLA Member

lol...fags....OK.

ANYWAYS. Lakers vs. Rockets. VERY SOON! Where is it going to be? Staples or Compaq?

8. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

The next game is at Houston, I think. (1/17) They play 2 more times after that, one at each.

I wouldn't worry about their time off. Like one getsmartnow said, they still have to play 82 games in the same amount of time other teams do. I'm sure that they will have some weeks where they play almost every day.

9. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

oh no the Lakers got a week off.

What a conspiracy :rolleyes:

10. droxford

droxford Member

Yes, we would... a lot of teams would... The Bucks just played four games in 5 days - against teams like the Rockets, Mavericks, and Nets. I bet they'd like a week off, too. How well do you think Yao Ming would do if he had a week off?

NYKRule:
    You might feel a little different if the Lakers came off a week of rest and beat the crap out of a tired Knicks team.

-- droxford

11. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

They'd beat the crap out of the Knicks regardless.

12. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

LOL.

come on people. Please just stop with those conspiracy theorie.
    I'm getting tired of them

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

What a hillarious thread. They got a week off because Phil Jackson promised to shave his beard.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Well the Rockets had a lot of rest between games early in the season, including one stretch of 5 days off, I believe. And they took good advantage of that too, because they got some practices in for Yao to catch up on preseason stuff he had missed.

15. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Hmmmm...let's see the Staples Center schedule

December 30th: Kings game
    December 31st: Clippers game
    January 2nd: Kings game
    December 4th: Kings game

The Lakers share an arena with the Kings AND the Clippers, plus a bunch of other stuff goes in in basketball arenas like concerts, conventions, etc...Hell, pretty much EVERY NBA arena is booked almost daily throughout the entire year, so you obviously have no idea how much effort goes into making the NBA schedule.

In fact, most players would say it's a DISADVANTAGE to have an extended rest period, because their shooting is usually a little rusty after a long period off...

16. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

There are a few teams with extended time off. The sixers got a week off earlier, they had a game on Dec. 21 and their next was Dec. 28. The Pistons and Timberwolves last games were Monday and they don't play again until Saturday.

17. SLA

SLA Member

Thank you ludicrous. :) The Rockets are playing like 8 of their 10 games at home. That is kinda good.

18. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

damn this stupid thread cost me the spelling contest:D

19. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

It helps to have a time machine so your December 4th Kings game can follow the January 2nd Kings game. :D

20. speedball

speedball Contributing Member

hey, it's christmas.......blow me!:cool: