1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you want shane back?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LFE171, Feb 25, 2011.

1. LFE171

LFE171 Member

After watching Hayes' interview about wanting back Shane, I wouldn't be against it. Would you want him back on our team next year, since he's a FA? How much would you pay for him?

Lock this up if it's been posted/asked.

2. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Of course. Him and Hayes are the face of this franchise. I'm sure if JVG came back to coach he'd want Battier back as well.

3. johnkamla

johnkamla Contributing Member

Yes, for 3M which probably wouldn't be enough.

4. Braga

Braga Rookie

You know your team is bad when Chuck Hayes and Shane Battier are the face of your franchise.

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I would absolutely want him back. I do think that he will be able to play at least 3, 4 years at about the same level, because he is a consummate professional (insert Drexler laugh here) and his game relies a lot more on smarts than on athleticism. I think that he would be valuable even during our rebuilding efforts. I would love see him coach the Rockets one day.

That said, I would not commit a lot of money to him. I'd rather err on the side of the duration of the contract than on the money per year. We need to maintain flexibility. Something like 3 years at 3 million per year, I would do instantly. It is likely that some contender (e.g., the Celtics) will offer a much better deal, and it might be more appealing to him to give it a shot and go for a championship before his career ends, rather than going through rebuilding years. I believe that line of thought is actually the only reason we traded him.

6. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Exactly that crap is not going to get us a championship and that is the main issue. I don't mind them being on the team but neither really should be starting unless the other 3 guys are Lebron, Wade and Bosh lol.

7. worzel gummidge

If the Rockets can get Nash in the off-season, then a 1 year contract.

Nash + 1 yr signings won't tie up future salary. The Rockets will have the cap space to go after a superstar free agent in 2012.

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

You always want a Shane Battier on your team.

9. LFE171

LFE171 Member

3 years is exactly what I would offer him. I think we should watch the cap situation, because a lot of contenders who are strapped to big salaries will have little room to offer a decent contract for Shane's services.

He deserves to win a ring, but me being a selfish Rockets fan wants him to stay and be a part of the organization for a few more years + in the long haul (coaching, development, or mayor of Houston).

10. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

11. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Absolutely not.

12. Dei

Dei Member

Not really. The guy was dead weight on offense. The biggest reason Hayes, Scola want him back was because he was their pal. But Shane was soft and he made everybody else on the team soft. That "professional" demeanor held everybody else back from feeling bad about losing.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'd do 3 years 17 million

14. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

15. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Certainly NOT!!! :p

16. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

3 years 15 million or 4 years 20 million. I actually wish he'd go to a contender so he can win a title.

17. clos4life

clos4life Member

Oh yeah! Heck yeah I would. He is all man.

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

If you think Shane was deadweight on offense, wait till you experience Thabeet

Purely made up by you.

Wow, I really don't even know how you can up with this stuff.

19. TheDude34

TheDude34 Member

For the right price, absolutely.

He may not be the player he once was, but the intangibles he brings are priceless to any team.

20. MONON

MONON Member

Nash doesn't fullfill our biggest need. Thabeet's project that needs a year or 2 to develope. We still need a 6ft doubledigit or 7ft 3,4 &/or5 with skills & a high BB IQ for now. Trouble is all teams need that also.