1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade Gordon for a possible Paul George rental?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thekad, Dec 13, 2017.

?

Would you trade EG for PG?

1. Yes

54 vote(s)
    20.7%
  2. No

116 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. Only if PG agrees to re-sign

91 vote(s)
    34.9%
  1. Reeko

Reeko Member

you could easily stagger the minutes so that CP3 and PG are the 2 main guys for the bench unit...Morey would just need to find another guard since our guard rotation would be really thin...he could possibly do that through a buyout

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

only under the scenario where George isn’t willing to re-sign there so they’re forced to move him or he’ll walk for nothing

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

PG is better than Ego offensively, no debate

I doubt his percentages will be as low as they are in OKC if he was in Houston, and even then, he still shoots better percentages than Gordon does

last year he shot 39% from deep on 6.6 attempts a game, and this year he’s shooting 41% from deep on 7.3 attempts a game

A high volume 3 point shooter that shoots it from deep at a great percentage, is very good defensively, is capable of creating his own shoot, and can give u 20 points every night? Good bye, Ego...

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yeah, probably?

5 months ago we were trying to figure out how to acquire George for Gordon, Beverley & whatever but now we don't want him? (Even if it is 25+ games?)

I do get some of the concerns though.
    • Not that Tarik would be some huge loss but I don't exactly trust Nene to stay healthy/be available. (Unsure on the potential big man buyout market)
    • Ariza is not that off the bench scorer that Gordon is. (Maybe you start George/Ariza and move Anderson to the bench?)
    • While many don't care("Who cares? It'll be 25 or later! Who cares? Morey sucks in the first round!"), I don't like giving up picks(especially for what could be a rental). As @Beardaholic13 mentioned, what if you need that pick to move Ryan Anderson later?

#64 J.R., Dec 13, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    Pen15clubber and Beardaholic13 like this.
  5. arubato

arubato Member

Yes. Just because it will be cool to have Chris Paul George. And if Lebron comes here next year, we’ll have Lebron James Harden.

#65 arubato, Dec 13, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  6. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

While all this is hypothetical and we probably wont land PG, you cant help but think how perfectly the 2 points mentioned lines up.

1.It would seem the buyout market for big men this year will probably have one or 2 very capable vets that fit what we do.( Tyson Chandler,Koufos,Mozgov,Bogut) all good backups who can replace the insurance black gives us.

2.That lineup change is what i would do. i would like to limit harden and rynos minutes together, therefore having 4 + defenders at the court at all times.

J.R. likes this.
  7. MystikArkitect

EGo = George at this point in their careers.

No to this. Wouldn’t trade Paul for Westbrook.

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

wow, u can’t be serious...

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No, our chemistry is great as it is...and this would push Ariza out...

You don't **** with a winning streak.

DD

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  10. s3ts

s3ts Member

EG has one thing over many players -- he's ridiculously explosive. Whether he's driving in for a layup or spotting up for a 3, you're gonna be sure to have a great chance to score.

That said, PG is a better all-around player than EG. And also, we're not gonna be able to get him for EG straight-up. We'll need to shed Ryno's contract.

I'd think there's a better chance of a 3-team trade, and it will be complex blockbuster at the trade deadline if it's even possible, with other fillers involved. I guess it will be if OKC can't even be the 8th best team in the WC by that time.

The question is do the Rockets do this trade? If we're giving away EG + Ryno, yes, it's a deal too good to pass up. If we have to give away like 4 rotation players, I'd rather say no, esp if we're replacing them with bad contracts.

BTW, it's way more probable that they fire the head coach as sort of a patch job instead.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. Vivi

Vivi Member

Do we really need to discuss this? You obviously do it if possible and if he's willing to resign here, i love Gordon but George is a true star in his prime, same age of Harden (which is always a plus) and he's probably the best defender you can put on Durant with Kawhi Leonard, it's really a no brainer...but like others have said, i don't see Presti trade him to Houston, if he's going to trade him at all.

vlaurelio likes this.
  12. Soneca

Soneca Member

I miss the old Woj. This one just says things any one of us could say. Basically no info, only opinion.

Pen15clubber and hakeem94 like this.
  13. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

you're insulting OKC by offering ariza fool

14. photojoe

photojoe Member

No one can argue with this sound logic.

Close the thread

vlaurelio likes this.
  15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

George Hill is unhappy as well...

Double down with Chris Paul George Hill

ElDobleK and vlaurelio like this.
  16. WNBA

WNBA Member

the Harden trade will make OKC say no.

17. photojoe

photojoe Member

I don't think anyone is debating that, in a vacuum, Paul George is a better player than Gordon.

But with how good the Rockets have been so far this year and with how smooth our chemistry has fit together, there would be legitimate concerns about giving up any of our major pieces for another player- even a player as good as George.

George is basically a much better, more versatile, more talented Ariza. And we also have similar players in Luc and Tucker. (which, by the way, I would love to see a lineup of CP3, Ariza, George, Luc and PJ- with every defender switching on everything!)

But that trade would leave us terribly thin at the guard position and also thin at the center position given Nene's injuries. And having a first round pick gives us more flexibility for moving contracts if we need to this offseason. There would definitely be upside, but it would be taking a risk that George's talent would overcome any potential chemistry issues.

It is definitely an interesting thing to think about. but I don't think it will matter honestly. I think OKC will be reluctant to trade away George, if they do decide to trade him they would probably be able to get a better offer than from us, and even if they didn't I think they wouldn't want to trade to us.

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

19. thekad

thekad Member

I'm not completely sold that George is a better offensive player than Gordon. EG's shot profile is surprisingly difficult for a third option (a lot of off the dribble action and deep threes) while PG's has been relatively easy for a first option over his career (a lot of off-screen, catch and shoot, etc.). Not sure a straight swap makes the team better offensively.

Defensively there's no comparison of course.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

so PG's offense as a 1st option has been relatively easy when he gets a opposing teams best defender is being compared to a primarily catch and shoot 3rd option EG in a 3 pt friendly offense. yet you're not completely sold pg13 is a better offensive player. wow

Reeko likes this.