1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade for Jamaal Maggloire?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rox225, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

While we're taking care of business against the lesser teams with Yao out I still think we could use a more atheletic big to help out. Troy Murphy's name has been thrown around but his contract is too big for my taste. Our perimeter slasher outside of McGrady should be addressed by Kirk Snyder when he returns.

Don't think the Blazers would ask for much since he's a FA after the year, and he's only getting 18-20 minutes a game. He's got a nice mid-range jumper and I think could even play a little PF alongside Yao when he's back.

Discuss....

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

As long as Mutombo is playing like he is, I wouldn't make that trade. He would have either replace Deke or Chuck in the rotation. I don't think it would be an upgrade in either case.

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Don't see that he helps us that much. He's another big, slow player. We've got 3 big, slow players in Yao, Deke, and Juwan. If we want one more big, I would be much more interested in an athletic Steven Hunter or somebody like that for either the TE or Sura's contract.

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

who do we trade for him? i doubt that we have enough assets to bring this guy in. a large ending contract like that is worth a lot at the deadline. teams bring in superstar players with ending contracts, why would they settle for juwon howard and bob sura?

it's not even worth throwing in our 07 pick. why? because when yao DOES get back, there would be a log jam. he doesn't have the quickness to play along side yao and he's too talented to settle for being yao's backup for 8 minutes a game.

it's a nice idea, but unrealistic. i agree that we could use another big guy (shot blocker) until yao gets back. i would think that steven hunter from the sixers would be a good fit. he's one of the league leaders in blocks per minute. he could be had for our TE (and the sixers would be happy to get rid of hjis contract. he's not talented enough to complain about minutes, or lack there of, wwhen yao gets back.

5. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

PLEASE STOP TALKING ABOUT TRADING PLAYERS OFF THIS TEAM.

We are 5 games back of the best record in the NBA and have yet to play 1 game with the entire roster.

We have a trade exeption to use if we so please which would allow us to get a player and then cut/release/retire Sura.

Or Sura's contract could be traded for 1 player, either way don't screw with this team we have everything we need in place *if healthy.

6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The answer is a resounding YES.
    This has been bandied about a bit before,but I couldn't resist.
    JM brings a quality player at the 4/5.A backup for Yao,but more importantly a player that you can plug into the 4 and not worry about rebounding and interior defense anymore.Coming out of Kentucky,I really thought he would flop.I didn't like his attitude or what he showed on the court.But Jammal really showed well in the tourney against Wally World and Co.And then it's been showtime since he hit the Association.......I also love how his "attitude" turned into an asset in the NBA.This guy just had to get off his @$$ and get motivated....BRING HIM ON!!!

7. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

He's got an expiring 8.3 million deal, so it's very likely Portland wants to trade him for something more worthwhile than our scrap. While he'd be a nice rental in Yao's absence, he's not the greatest on defense. He's a space-eater, but Deke is far more effective in short minutes in terms of defending the rim and bringing down boards.

It seems this needs to be banged into the heads of the BBS: this is NOT a year to frivolously trade away our draft pick. Deep draft. Good draft. Don't trade it, even if we end up with a pick in the twenties.

Evan

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Deke is 105 years young. I would be happy if he averages 7 min/gm til the p/o. THEN let Mt Mutombo free to play whatever necessary minutes to make it to late June.

Maggliore cannot be had with what the Rox have without including draft pick(s) and for 40-50 games that seems pretty severe, right Luther?

9. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

How many games did you see him play at KY?? He was in school most of the same years I was (he graduated the year after me) and from my standpoint he improved a bit every year. I wasn't at all surprised he was a first round draft pick, if he hadn't waited until after his senior season he wouldn't have been. I don't know what attitude you are talking about but, he played on two NCAA final teams and tied Mourning for 3rd all time total blocks during the NCAA tournament. That's no fluke.

Now... hopping back on topic :)

As for would I trade anyone on this team for him... I respond with a question...who? There is no one that I believe is expendable at this point unless you go to the very end of our bench... in which case the Blazers wouldn't want it. Jamaal is a good supporting cast member, so he would be a good inside presence to replace Deke, if Deke retires at the end of the year. I don't think its a possibility though.

10. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

I would trade for PJ Brown

Starting PF is more important than backup center

11. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Jamaal Magloire is terrible and plays very slow for a semi-athletic guy. And his offensive game is worse than Chuck Hayes'. If we could manage to work a trade for Magloire, I'd much rather work a trade for Jeff Foster, who's basically Magloire on a cheaper contract with better defense.

12. windfern

windfern Member

Same here.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Foster would be a a great pickup. Better defense, better rebounding, and much more efficient offense as well. I don't think Indiana will give him up unless they're really desperate, though.

14. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

jamaal magloire is a center and not a power forward. you can't combine him with yao. and as a backup center only he's wasted talent. so i'd pass.

i would trade for melvin ely instead. he doesn't play much for the bobcats because they have some other solid and talented guys. he has a cheap contract and he is an athletic power forward who can play backup center. he's exactly what this team needs. an athlete for the 4 and 5.

15. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

THANK YOU! I've been thinking this all day...why are there SO MANY trade threads?! If the Rockets are healthy and play together at playoff time...I don't care what seed we are, everyone will be afraid to play the Rockets.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

Going by their record now, not teams from the West...

17. Sextuple Double

I think he's too much of a high maintenance especially since he actually been on an All-Star team. I'd rather Pryzbilla.