1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade for Chris Bosh if Miami flames out this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RHU525, Oct 8, 2014.

?

Trade for Bosh?

1. Yes! He can still be our missing peice

118 vote(s)
    36.9%
  2. No way! After what he did this summer

202 vote(s)
    63.1%
  1. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

Wade is pretty much done at this point in his career. He could barely dunk last season. It's going to be like Bosh's Toronto Raptors all over again. Riley knows that the cap is jumping up in 2016 though, so Bosh wouldn't really be getting paid like a 'max player' for more than two seasons. Afterwards, Wade is off the books, Deng is off the books, and so is McRoberts, Granger, and Udonis. Riley playing it sneaky again, trying to pull off another 2010 FA robbery in 2016.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Chris Bosh Admits Money Was Factor In Choosing Heat Over Rockets -- <a href="http://t.co/KO0X3zc6FJ">http://t.co/KO0X3zc6FJ</a></p>&mdash; RealGM (@RealGM) <a href="https://twitter.com/RealGM/status/524296293112246273">October 20, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bosh reflects on being this close to signing with Rockets

So when Houston arrives Tuesday at AmericanAirlines Arena for the Heat's preseason home finale, the Rockets will have no Lin, no Asik, no Parsons . . . and no Bosh.

What Bosh wanted to make clear in advance was that he in no way was playing the Rockets, that he was close -- very close -- to creating his own new Big Three in his home state of Texas alongside Dwight Howard and James Harden.

"I still had to finish conversations with the Heat," Bosh said of those hectic hours on July 11, when he handled his negotiations by phone from Africa, where he was on a vacation and promotional tour. "Everybody was aware, all parties were aware. It was always continuing conversations. I never made any commitments. I never wanted to put anybody in the position to make them feel like I said something and I reneged on the whole thing. So I just kept it open.

"LeBron made his choice and then that kind of cleared things up, as far as negotiations are concerned."

Bosh said the possibility of leaving was real, that he had spoken to coaches, management and players on the Rockets. With Morey. With coach Kevin McHale.

"I talked to everybody," he said. "I like to get a feel for everybody, feel them out, see what they're thinking and just hear it from them."

Morey thought he was close, really close.

"We were right at the precipice of what I would argue maybe is the best team in the NBA," he said in a radio interview in the wake of his failed gambit.

This time there was another hard sell.

"They came hard, just like any team would," Bosh said. "They're trying to get back to the championship."

And then he decided to stay.

"It's always business," he said. "Nothing is ever personal. I think 100 percent of those dudes would have taken the deal I took."

And yes, despite the possibilities of playing alongside Howard and Harden (and possibly Parsons, as well), the money mattered.

"It's not always about money," Bosh said. "But you do want your full market value. If you work your butt off to get to a certain point, you want to be rewarded for that."

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Again, somebody twist its neck

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Your options are wrong, it's not a case of "after what he did to us", LOL what exactly did Chris Bosh do to us? This is like some creeper thinking some girl "betrayed" him after she asks some other guy to be her prom date or whatever. IIRC Bosh never made any commitment to the Rox and it's not like the Rox made him their priority, they fawned all over Melo first (ridiculous move and I'll never understand the fascination with this dude) and clearly saw him as a sloppy second so what's your beef?

The real reason we shouldn't want him is Miami will be paying him 30M a year for the next 5 years, and I'm sorry he's just not worth 30M now, and esp. later when he's 35 and you're still paying him 30M.

Also, please don't buy that "the cap is gonna increase" crap. Sure the cap will increase, but it'll also increase for EVERY team in the NBA so I don't know why people think bad contracts won't look so bad.Capspace isn't just based on the cap increase, it's also based on what you originally had so if your team with the bloated contract has some space then other teams with right sized contracts will have even more space. This means that if Miami can finally afford 2 good players to play alongside Bosh, the Rox will be able to afford a superstar and a good player to play alongside Dwight and Harden.

5. caneks

caneks Rookie

This is just stupid talk from Morey.
    Thunders can say that if they could add another star, this team can not. A third star can only take this team to second round of playoffs, not being the best team. Even every player fits each other perfectly, you still need a better coach to be the best team.

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

"Yea...100...percent...."
    [​IMG]

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

its not "stupid talk" if its true, that they could arguably be the best team centered around bosh, harden, and howard

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Yes, I would still trade for bosh.

9. aumate

aumate Member

It's different. This is Bosh's last contract and it won't be Howards.

10. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

For the right deal.. I wouldn't stay salty about it.

11. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

12. rockettes

rockettes Rookie

if miami sucks this season, he will be the primary reason
    he is now the alpha dog in miami

13. NotChandlerParsons

Yeah, he's probably not gonna be very good towards the end of that five year contract. So what? The amount of teams that are actually contenders are vanishingly small. If trading for Bosh gives us a serious shot at the title for 2-3 years, I'd do it.

14. alethios

alethios Member

Miami will find out how hard it is to win without LeBron. They will be forced to go into rebuilding mode after this season. Bosh may be forced to rethink his status in Miami as the Heat owner will be forced to do the same thing.

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

No chance. Free agency signing is just money. When you trade for him you pay the big money and give up talent. No way.

16. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Sorry, but Beverly, Harden, Parsons, Bosh, Howard would have certainly been the precipice of the best team in the league. Probably only Cleveland with Lebron and Love would be better on paper.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

This is what everyone always says, but they don't really mean it because every year people always seem to "reset" and forget everything that's been done before and those who advocated to go all in now would also be among those who will complain about how overpaid player X is 2-3 years down the line.

Just look at the Dwight Howard signing and the Harden trade, the reality is these were done just 2 years ago (2 years for Harden, 1 year for Howard), and yet if you look at articles all everyone talks about is how the Rockets have totally bombed, how Houston is undesirable to free agents etc etc etc. Even Parsons was picked up by Morey in the first place but you had all these articles about how bad the FO is at making decisions and assessing talent. When it comes to double-edged swords or gambles that don't work out like what happened with Parsons being let out of his contract 1 year early, people forget the possible reward and just focus on the screw up.

In fact even when it works out you still have people having a "what have you done for me lately" mentality conveniently forgetting that the horrible state of affairs now was the result of going all in a couple of years earlier. Case in point would be Boston, that team went all in for the sake of a prospect of a ring and 3 years or so of contention, and yet now you have guys ripping Ainge up and calling him inept at his job. Cuban got a lack of flack for breaking up his contending team and whiffing on his 3D dynasty master plan, never mind that same mentality was what caused him to have a ring in the first place etc.

On the other hand, look at the perennial betrayer of hope, the Chicago Bulls. I've followed the NBA since the Yao Ming era and almost every year there is a lot of hype being generated by the Chicago Bulls, but the reality is they have never achieved major success I don't recall seeing them even in a finals game since MJ stopped being a Bull. And yet people always hype them up you even had Bill Simmons project them to be the number 1 team last year. That's because unlike other teams the Bulls don't take chances, they never go all-in with win-now players, so even if every year ends in mediocrity but at the same time every year starts with a lot of promise. Oh yeah, we have Noah and Rose, contention baby! And Bulls fans are still content with that simply because they reset every year. Same thing with Dallas, prior to them winning a ring dallas fans were always happy because the team looked strong every year even if they didn't win anything, ironically when Cuban took a risk to actually win long term that's when the fans started b****ing and moaning at him.

So the point of all these is just to say that although people always talk about winning now at the cost of sucking later, when later comes around they still want to win now, and so trying to get Bosh who will be a cap killer and will prevent you from putting a strong team in the short term is not a good idea because at the end of the day getting Bosh won't assure you of winning a ring now, but 3 years later it will definitely prevent you from winning later on.

18. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I would take him for free, of course. But in terms of giving up equal value for him, I would subtract rather harshly from his 'value' calculation based on his lack of desire to be here.

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

Tired of getting jilted by Bosh. Screw him... he can stay in Miami if he wants it so bad.

20. NotChandlerParsons

Nothing ever assures you of getting a ring.

I agree with your point in general -- that was what was in my original post, that the amount of actual contenders are vanishingly small, and fans are too quick to assume their team is a contender or one future-compromising type move away from contention. I like Morey's moves up till now, building through the draft and hanging onto flexibility. I just think we're at the point where getting a very good two-way PF would make us an actual contender, and we only get a limited amount of cracks at that.