1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you sign Kimbrel or Keuchel for 1 year 15mil?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by CinematicFusion, Mar 8, 2019.

1. AstrosRockets1818

2. AstrosRockets1818

3. Mattician

Mattician Member

At least he didn't go to the Yankees.

4. mick fry

mick fry Member

Had he accepted the 5/$90 extension in 2016 as reported he currently has lost out on $42.6m based on the salaries he has made the last 3 years plus the $13m this year.
    Boras is great.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

DK is a man of his own principles. He holds onto those principles very strongly. One of those principles is to not sign any autographs when hes out and about from what Ive seen from fan videos. I cant fault him for his own beliefs, but it didnt work out best for him to this point. Maybe he balls out the rest of the year and gets a huge deal next season.

6. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

I wish him well. Hope to see him the the World Series.

7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

If Keuchel pitches like he has the last few years he’s going to go into the next offseason with the same footing as this past one. Maybe worse since he’ll be older. I wish him well so long as his interests don’t interfere with ours, but it seems unlikely that he pitches himself into the type of deal he expects.

8. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

[​IMG]

One good benefit of this it may get some players to take the Astros early offers that lock them up for a few more years of them being a FA. Maybe it weighed in Bregman's decision?

9. HTM

HTM Member

Appreciate what he did for the city. Good luck Keuchel.

10. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I.D.I.O.T.

By not going to Yanks, he can keep his beard. Good fit I think.

11. awc713

awc713 Member

you can look at the 5/90 deal in hindsight and laugh at DK all you want, but no one saw the market crash like it did this offseason, and that *was* a lowball offer in 2016 when it was made, all things considered.

Thank you DK for everything...Cy young award, several GGs and ASGs...our first ring...sweating out the early years. Shame on any Stros fan who doesn’t appreciate DK. You’re not a true Stros fan.

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Glad he's not going to the Yankees. Wish he was coming back here for a one year deal

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Did he retract our offer for him or was a pride thing. I would think the Astros would take him for 13 million considering we need another starter.

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I honestly don't think we're concerned with the starter situation. They are OK to use that 5th spot as a tryout slot. I doubt they wanted him to take the QO at this point.

That's not to say we don't want to get a top arm to go behind Cole and Verlander, but DK isn't that guy anymore.

There was no way he was signing here unless we offered more than the QO, and it was definitely a pride thing.

He helped us win a chip and a Cy Young. He was a key part of the turnaround and he will always be gold in my book. Certainly glad I don't have to see him in pinstripes.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

He can justify the deal because it’s more than the QO pay per day, but he really left $5M on the table by taking 3 months off. Oh well.

I’m glad Keuchel was an Astro, but I’m not disappointed they didn’t resign him. Glad he’s in the NL. Although it would suck if Houston had to face both Morton and Keuchel in the playoffs.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  16. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

Am I the only one still a little bitter that Keuchel’s ego cost both him a ton of money and the Astros a compensation pick, with the Braves and their league leading pitching prospects the winner? At least it wasn’t the Yankees, but still.

17. vince

vince Member

I think back then everyone was thinking Greg Maddox part 2. But then baseball decided to define the strike zone and enforce it more rigidly. Keutchel was great at gradually expanding the strike zone, ala Greg Maddox. So that forced Keutchel to challenge hitters more, and seem more ordinary (still good but not Cy Young good).

I don’t think anyone harbors negative feelings for Keutchel, everyone I talk to likes his style. But what people are saying woah to is the type of money he’s lost on paper. You need to laugh to keep from crying, 42 million that could be in Keutchels pocket is now in other athletes pockets.... Keutchel is one of the good ones, and he is going on to another organization. And it’s frustrating, considering he helped convince Verlander to agree to the Trade!

I hope it works out for Keutchel and he can get a contract he feel is worth his value.

But in life the part of taking a risk, is that sometimes it doesn’t work out in your favor. Just look at the poor guy who bet 100,000 on the Joshua Ruiz fight, he thought it was going to be an easy way to make a 5% return, guy lost his entire $100,000. For chasing $5,000..... Risk keeps things interesting but also in perspective.

arkoe likes this.
  18. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

His greatest principle is to appear like a jackass at all times. So wish he would have gone to the Yankees. That would have ended very badly for him.
    There has been a lot of talk over where a pretty average (what he’s trending toward now) pitcher is going to ply his trade.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The World Series results of 2015, 2016, and 2017 made a lot of teams re-think how they go about building a roster.

THAT, and further increased data on what happens to players' productions after they turn 30, AND a ass-backwards "pay it forward" CBA that the veterans lobbied for... all combined to the market turning into what it is.

I LOL'd at the original tweet though.... "below market value" is such a subjective term. The market is literally what it is right now... and by market value, Keuchel is not worth a 3-5 year deal at big money per year.

vince likes this.
  20. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

You don’t get to declare anyone else’s “true” fandom. Get this, I didn’t like Marwin Gonzales either and was glad to see his back side. Oh noes- someone has a different opinion than you- they must be wrong!
    I also don’t root for Osuna and feel bad that he’s on our team.
    It’s my prerogative to interact with my favorite team in my favorite sport however I want to. Keuchel seems to all appearances to be a meat head. If that makes me like him less what business is that if yours?
    He was very good, between the lines, in 14 and 15. He is never going to be that guy again. I’m glad he’s gone. The fact that his arrogance and hubris caused himself a lot of money is just a nice cherry on top that I get to chuckle to myself about.